U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:11 PM

326 posts, read 829,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Miami, plus the housing market in Florida is cheap.
It is?
Also, the only chickens kept in Miami are for illegal cockfighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 03:28 PM

7,987 posts, read 11,232,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
What about Mobile, Alabama? I've heard it's not too 'stereotypical' south, and its by a lot of nice beaches and stuff. Or maybe Athens, Georgia? The town that produced REM and the B-52's can't be that bad.
I grew up in Alabama and lived in Mobile for quite sometime. Sad to say, but it is VERY old south. Mobile is one of the most stereotypical southern cities I can think of.

I do agree with Athens, GA. I would also recommend checking out Charleston, SC / Charlottesville, VA / Wilmington, NC and Nashville, TN.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:31 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,767,657 times
What about Montevallo?

Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,058,180 times
I don't know the south all that well, but from what I have heard about Richmond, Va it might fit your bill.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,767,657 times
Actually, we live in a well-to-do suburb of Birmingham and are allowed to have chickens. My wife is giving it consideration. Sheesh.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:37 PM

37 posts, read 70,494 times
Montevallo is an interesting suggestion. I toured the college there back in high school, but I didn't realize there was a nice town attached to it. It seemed so remote, hidden in the trees up there. It felt like I was going away to summer camp.

I knew that the Birmingham suburbs allow chickens, but the walkability there has to be awful, right? I'm looking to live in grid-pattern streets (or close to it), not culs de sac. And cpg, your wife should totally get chickens. They are the very best pets I've ever had.

I probably should have been a little more specific when I described which parts of the Southeast were an option for me. While there are so many great cities in the Southeast, it really wouldn't be worth it to me to be more than about 2.5 hours from BOTH Atlanta and Mobile. So anyplace along the route between the two, unless I actually chose to live in one or the other. I'm heavily leaning toward Atlanta in the hopes that I can find a walkable, liberal, affordable neighborhood close in without too much crime. My sister there keeps insisting that there are nice neighborhoods there that I would love that resemble a typical trendy Portland neighborhood. She mentions Little Five Points and Virginia Highlands. Are those actually good places, or is my suburban sister totally imagining things?

Old 07-26-2012, 04:16 AM

5,706 posts, read 8,773,655 times
Have you posted in the atlanta forum?

Old 07-26-2012, 04:42 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,085,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlkat187 View Post
Montevallo is an interesting suggestion. I toured the college there back in high school, but I didn't realize there was a nice town attached to it. It seemed so remote, hidden in the trees up there. It felt like I was going away to summer camp.

I knew that the Birmingham suburbs allow chickens, but the walkability there has to be awful, right? I'm looking to live in grid-pattern streets (or close to it), not culs de sac. And cpg, your wife should totally get chickens. They are the very best pets I've ever had.

I probably should have been a little more specific when I described which parts of the Southeast were an option for me. While there are so many great cities in the Southeast, it really wouldn't be worth it to me to be more than about 2.5 hours from BOTH Atlanta and Mobile. So anyplace along the route between the two, unless I actually chose to live in one or the other. I'm heavily leaning toward Atlanta in the hopes that I can find a walkable, liberal, affordable neighborhood close in without too much crime. My sister there keeps insisting that there are nice neighborhoods there that I would love that resemble a typical trendy Portland neighborhood. She mentions Little Five Points and Virginia Highlands. Are those actually good places, or is my suburban sister totally imagining things?
No, she's not. Little Five Points is actually the commercial district for two neighborhoods: Inman Park and Candler Park. Both are great areas; Inman Park is dominated by Victorians, Candler Park by bungalows. They're very walkable and accessible to amenities.
Virginia-Highland is just to the north of 'L5P'; also lovely with a great commercial district.
By Atlanta standards, all of areas are considered pricey; coming from Portland, however, you may not find this the case.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:06 PM

7 posts, read 7,102 times
I see this is an old thread, but wanted to add my two cents. My husband is interviewing soon for a job in the Mongomery/east area. I have family in Nashville, TN, and after a number of visits, have come to absolutely LOVE it. There is something for everyone there. The summers are not as hot (but hot) and there is beautiful scenery very close by, and a wide variety of housing options. The music industry offers a lot for the young at heart, but it is also traditional down south hospitality. My two biggest concerns with the Montgomery move would be TOO hot, and TOO humid, and the geography; we're from Michigan, and want to be able to go back and forth to visit family, and vice versa. Hate the winter, but don't want the opposite either.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 AM

34,699 posts, read 33,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlkat187 View Post
...But I don't want to lose everything I have here! Here's my story: I spent the latter half of my upbringing in the Southeast after moving there unwillingly at 11 years old. I spent my whole childhood wanting to get back out to the West Coast. I never could afford California, so after a long and winding journey, I landed in Portland, where I have lived for seven years. I love almost everything about this city...except the weather and the cost of living. I need to be somewhere warm. My husband's pay potential also seems to be less here than it would be in the Southeast, but our cost of living is probably higher. This makes it impossible for me to ever quit this string of terrible jobs that I've had and just be the mom that I want to be. All this, plus the fact that we still have family in the South, makes it really enticing to go back now, after years of decrying everything I hated about it.

So, there's plenty that I legitimately love about Portland and that I legitimately hated about the South. I love the ability to walk anywhere I want. I love the public transportation. I love the architectural charm. I love the sustainability. I love the progressive politics. I love getting to keep my city chickens. That last point right there crosses Birmingham off my list, since I read chickens aren't allowed there. I also love how community-oriented my neighborhood is. The kids all play in the street on summer evenings, we have block parties and get-togethers - it's really a close community feel. About the South, I hated the closed-mindedness (I found out it exists here too, just in reverse), the great walls between races and classes, the obesity, the car dependence, the Wal-Mart mentality and suburbanism, etc.

So here's what I'm thinking. In the next 2 to three years, I might try to sell my house here and move back. I want a house that is simultaneously cheaper and nicer than what I have now, in a neighborhood where I can walk to things, where I'm allowed to keep chickens, and where my neighbors would be totally cool with that (and vote Democrat). I know that the South is deep red to the core, but I also know that there are hidden pockets of liberalism throughout. The whole middle of Alabama voted Democrat in 2008. Now, I have family in the Atlanta suburbs and in Alabama's Gulf Coast area. Ideally, I'd live somewhere in either of those places or in between. Sometimes I think Fairhope/Daphne would be lovely; other times I want to live right in the thick of it in Atlanta (but without bad crime!). Sometimes I think it'd be nice to be in a college town like Auburn; other times I could deal with being back home in Montgomery. I definitely want access to good public schools, and multi-culturalism is a plus. Another huge plus is diversity of restaurants and cultural opportunities (both of which Atlanta could handle easily). Portland just has an amazing restaurant scene - if only the cost of living here didn't price us out of making regular restaurant trips!

So to all you Southerners, please, cast your vote for where the best place for me and my family would be. Is it a great up-and-coming neighborhood in Atlanta? Is there a charming small town I've never thought of? Submissions outside of the route from Mobile to Atlanta are welcome too, just less likely to work for me. For example, I'd consider Tennessee, New Orleans, and parts of North Carolina (like Asheville), but those all put us just a hair too far away from family members that we'd like to be able to visit regularly.
Go to Asheville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or