U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 02:54 PM

16 posts, read 25,730 times

Advertisements

Good day!

We have a chance to move to the US with no limits regarding the location. This became more a problem than benefit. The opportunities are limitless and we are not sure which way to go.

We have two small kids 5 and 3. Obviously good schools are the most important, parallel with low crime and area that has young families with similar interests. I like to be close to a big or mid size city (not less than 1M) that is vibrant and modern. 30-45 minutes commute are acceptable, preferably by metro… I like to live in an area that has plenty of parks were we can spent quality family time or ride bikes, where’s potential for plenty outdoor activities.
The climate is also important. My ginger hubby can not take the heat so the south is out of the picture, I personally do not like the humid weather. Same time I’d love to be 2-3 hours from the coast since we are used to the Aegean Sea.

Less important but what I’d love to have in the city is nice shopping malls. A woman loves her retail therapy…..

I’ve been looking into Richmond but I am not sure how modern it is? Raleigh maybe? How is NC regarding the humidity?

I said south is out of the picture but my hubby has a cousin who lives in Scottsdale but we hear plenty of bad things about the weather and the heat. If only July and August are the problem, we can stay indoors these months but how’s the rest of the year? Is it possible to live quality outdoor life the other months of the year?

Is Hartford CT nice place and how is the climate in that area? Does it meet my requirements?

And last, there is big community in Chicago area but I am not sure if we should go close to our people since we are trying to escape from them here. On one side it is not close to the coast but it is nice to have the support from someone who speaks the same language. In case you recommend us Chicago, only the excellent school system and possibility of outdoors activities would prevail.

Regarding the housing, we would rent in the beginning until we find the area that we feel comfortable settling at. At this time, we have some cash savings but we will buy after we find jobs and become eligible for mortgage. I believe we would fit in an area where mid class families live.

As you can see from my post, we are lost in space. Any advice and suggestion is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 03:06 PM

326 posts, read 829,875 times
North Carolina will be hot and humid for at least 6 months of the year unless you go up to some of the higher elevations, but then you're not in the vicinity of big cities.
How about Portland, Oregon or Seattle, Washington? Your ginger husband will probably be grateful for the cloud cover. Seasons in the Pacific Northwest are gentle. It can be quite damp though.
In Chicago, no, not close to the coast, but Lake Michigan is just about as close as you can get to being an ocean without actually being one. The summer, usually (this summer has been incredibly hot), is an awesome time to be in Chicago, but winters can be brutal.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:12 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,492,148 times
What income level do you consider to be "middle class"?

Old 07-25-2012, 03:41 PM

From this point of view I'd be happy if we make $100,000 per year (together). I believe that with this amount we can have a decent life and I consider it as mid-class income. Am I right?

Old 07-25-2012, 07:36 PM

56,843 posts, read 81,169,050 times
What kind of employment would you be looking for? What is your ethnic background, if you don't mind me asking, because that could help in terms of networking? Perhaps areas like Philadelphia, Worcester MA and maybe Baltimore could work.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:45 AM

I am an Engineer and also have a second degree in Interior Design and my husband is taking college classes now. I doubt that my degrees will be recognized immediately, I would probably have to pass some US exams.... Regarding the ethnicity, we are Caucasian.

Thank you 2ForTheSea for pointing Portland. I never consider it but after looking some youtube videos about the city, I like it. Does it rain in Portland as much as in Seattle?

Any other recommendations for a place where couple in mid 30s can raise children peacefully and have quiet family life yet not so far from a city?

Thank you ~

Old 07-26-2012, 05:55 AM

According to this: Portland vs Seattle Sea-tac Ap
the amount of rain each city receives is nearly identical. I think what is different is just the amount of gray drizzly days there are. Then I would say that Seattle tends to be a bit grayer. However, I don't have a lot of long term personal experience with either city. Perhaps visit the Oregon and Washington forums for information from the locals. Weather is a big topic. I live near Miami so my experience will be the exact opposite weather wise, but I'm looking to move to the PNW myself.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:11 AM

21,231 posts, read 30,469,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForTheSea View Post
North Carolina will be hot and humid for at least 6 months of the year unless you go up to some of the higher elevations, but then you're not in the vicinity of big cities.
Not sure where you cooked up that information from. The average high doesn't reach the 70s until April and reappears in October, with three months where the average high is above 85....the classic summer months of June, July and August.

Average Weather for Raleigh, NC - Temperature and Precipitation

Central North Carolina offers an evenly divided four-season climate with the only real humidity concerns occurring in July and August which is on par with most of the U.S.

I would highly recommend the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area to the OP and would encourage a visit. Chapel Hill in particular is a great place to live and raise a family.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not sure where you cooked up that information from. The average high doesn't reach the 70s until April and reappears in October, with three months where the average high is above 85....the classic summer months of June, July and August.

Average Weather for Raleigh, NC - Temperature and Precipitation

Central North Carolina offers an evenly divided four-season climate with the only real humidity concerns occurring in July and August which is on par with most of the U.S.

I would highly recommend the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area to the OP and would encourage a visit. Chapel Hill in particular is a great place to live and raise a family.
Just from my own experience.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 PM

66 posts, read 224,912 times
Personally for me (you may like it) I would rule out Hartford, Raleigh, and Richmond. They're all nice enough places but they just lack a certain something. Portland is a very nice place, they have all the shopping you want but I wouldn't consider it a shopping mecca or anything (but it's certain to have more shopping than hartford/raleigh/richmond). Hartford shouldn't get all that humid but raleigh and richmond will be pretty humid. Portland is about as non-humid as you can get without actually being in the desert.

As far as the ocean, the ocean is basically pointless in oregon other than for looking at - the weather is bad most of the time and you can't really go in it unless you want to freeze. Which brings up the bad thing about portland - very beautiful summers but depressing gloom and drizzle the rest of the year.

Scottsdale would be a very nice place, I know it's a cliche but it's a dry heat so I think it's bearable. I haven't spent all year there so I don't know how many of the months are miserably hot but on the plus side you get very mild winters.

Also if you can afford it southern california would be a nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or