Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:09 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times

Advertisements

I was born in a city where I never lived because that was the location of the hospital nearest to my parents' house. I am happy to be a native Californian and wouldn't change that. But if I could choose, I wish I could have been born in San Francisco. It has been my adopted home town for over 30 years, I love it here, and it would be nice to be a native San Franciscan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 05:48 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I was born in the same hospital as GWB and neither one of us cares to admit it. It doesn't jibe with the folksy image.

Probably the same hospital as Ja1myn who aspires to a more urbane beginning.

The important thing is my parents moved to TN when I was 3 and I'm happy about that. It shouldn't be relevant but it got me out of jury duty once. They asked where we were born and I suspect I was thrown out of the pool for being a d*mn yankee!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:35 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
I like where I was born.

Detroit's one of those places where it's good to be from, but not necessarily live.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:34 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I like where I was born.

Detroit's one of those places where it's good to be from, but not necessarily live.
Why's it good to be from Detroit?

Old 07-27-2012, 11:37 AM

650 posts, read 1,630,259 times
Take 2 struggling cities: Miami and Detroit.

It's cool to be from Miami, but I don't know about Detroit.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:38 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Why's it good to be from Detroit?
Very rich history (one of the richest of all American cities).

Then also, you get instant respect from across the nation for surviving America's "armpit."

Old 07-27-2012, 11:48 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Very rich history (one of the richest of all American cities).

Then also, you get instant respect from across the nation for surviving America's "armpit."
Lol I can understand that to some degree. When I got a job in Atlanta they all thought I was an instant genius or something because I was from NY.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:12 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
This thread revived something I have ofen wondered. Does it really matter where one is born? What would make a person want to be born in another place other than citizenship benefits? I know some people tend to look up to or down on people from certain places, but in that case, is it the people born there or the residents? Another reason I ask if it matters where one is born is because once we are adults, we are free to choose where we want to live. I'm not knocking the question, just trying to add to the discussion and get some further insight into something that I sometimes wondered about.
You really don't think birth place doesn't matter? Well, it does.

First, do you think how hard it is for "alien residents" in the US to get the right to work and live in the US freely, something you were born with? Some with their Stanford degree need to wait for years to get their green card approved and allowed to work for any employer they want.

And do you when it comes to international travel, how much hassle someone from a poorer country, including the richer and successful ones, has to go through just to get a visa, while any jobless pennyless American total loser can simply pack and go?

Being born in a wealthy country is a bless.

Even within the US, it makes a difference. It determines at least how and where your first 18 years will be spent, which impact the rest of your life. I am not saying that determines anything, but to deny it has an effect is wrong. Do you really think being born in an upper class family in Boston or San Francisco is no different from some farm house in rural Arkansas?

Yes, we are free to move anywhere else we want, but don't you think locals have a natural advantage of having a family, friends and social circle already established from the day they were born? Yes, you can try to do that in a new place too but it takes time, and a friend you have known since you were 30 is not the same as one you knew since the age of 3.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:41 PM

62 posts, read 62,182 times
I was born and raised on the island of Maui and wouldn't change it for anything. I live in Seattle now and know that if I ever decide to start a family they will definitely be raised on Maui as well.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:08 PM

650 posts, read 1,630,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamauiguy View Post
I was born and raised on the island of Maui and wouldn't change it for anything. I live in Seattle now and know that if I ever decide to start a family they will definitely be raised on Maui as well.
You are very lucky. I always wanted to be born on a tropical paradise. Instead, I got Miami which is still tropical, but ghetto and not nearly as tropical as a Maui
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.