Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 5,331 times

Advertisements

I need to live in one of the following cities (Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, San Francisco/Bay Area, DC) for work, but the problem is that I am more of a country person. I've only lived in NYC and Boston, and liked Boston much better. I hate the high cost of living, lack of space (how tiny the apartments are in NYC), and competitiveness in cities. And I really do not take advantage of city living, since I cook at home and stay in most nights. I think the ideal solution may be to live in the suburbs of a city. Ideally, the suburb should be within close commute to the city (20~30 min) and has a low cost of living. (I know this is probably too idealistic, but it's just a goal.)

I would also prefer it if the city has a general more laid back attitude and less competitiveness, though I guess that is probably too much to ask for in any big city.

Thank you so much for any advice or insight. It's my first post, even though I have been lurking the forums for a while, so please go easy on me if I made some mistakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 05:47 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,675,731 times
Based on your criteria I would say Chicago, which I consider to be relatively affordable and laid back.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:21 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Maybe Mount Kisco, Suffern, Pearl River and Piermont in NY could work.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe Mount Kisco, Suffern, Pearl River and Piermont in NY could work.
Thank you for the suggestions, but both places are a little bit too far for my ideal place. They do look appealing though.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:43 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Avoid DC. A 20-30 minute commute will only get you a few miles outside the city, and this area takes competitiveness to a new level! I live around 30 minutes outside the city with no traffic (12ish miles), and my 1800 sf house from the 60's cost close to $500k. During rush hour, it'd take easily 60-90 minutes to drive into the city.

Rent on a 1 bedroom apartment would be somewhere between $1200-2000 depending how far out you want to go. The problem is that while DC is a major job hub, the suburbs are too (in VA: Alexandria, Arlington, Tysons Corner, Reston, etc) so going further out doesn't necessarily result in lower rents. PG County in MD is close in and cheaper, but the cheaper places are in some sketchy areas. Montgomery County, MD on the other side is just as expensive as the VA suburbs.

That said, if you can flex your hours (lots of people work 6-3 or 11-8 or something similar) you can avoid the worst of the traffic and live in some of the further out areas. We also have pretty good public transportation options, so if your work is on a metro or VRE line, you may be able to tolerate a longer commute since you could zone out for the time on the train.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:12 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
I think Chicago could be your best bet. Check out Skokie or Evanston on the northside. It's about a 30-40 minute commute via train to the Loop in downtown.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:53 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Crown Point Indiana and Munster Indiana have some of the best schools in the state outside of the Indianapolis Suburbs.
Plus the cost of living and taxes are lower in Indiana than Illinois and munster is only a 25-35 minute commute to the loop depending on traffic.
You can also buy a bigger house for less in Indiana due to the fact Indiana has a 1% cap on property taxes which helped our state earn the title of the nations most affordable housing market. Illinois doesnt have a property tax cap and it can run 5%+ or higher.
Also Crown Point/Munster and St John are very safe cities with a down to earth culture that has a small mix of country too.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:48 AM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Crown Point Indiana and Munster Indiana have some of the best schools in the state outside of the Indianapolis Suburbs.
Plus the cost of living and taxes are lower in Indiana than Illinois and munster is only a 25-35 minute commute to the loop depending on traffic.
You can also buy a bigger house for less in Indiana due to the fact Indiana has a 1% cap on property taxes which helped our state earn the title of the nations most affordable housing market. Illinois doesnt have a property tax cap and it can run 5%+ or higher.
Also Crown Point/Munster and St John are very safe cities with a down to earth culture that has a small mix of country too.
I wonder about income taxes in terms of working in Illinois, but living in Indiana. I thought about possibly looking into NH if the OP picked Boston due to no income tax, but I believe that MA takes some out for income taxes and it may be a bit too far of a commute.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:52 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wonder about income taxes in terms of working in Illinois, but living in Indiana. I thought about possibly looking into NH if the OP picked Boston due to no income tax, but I believe that MA takes some out for income taxes and it may be a bit too far of a commute.
i think you pay the 5% rate although im not sure.
i think there has to be a tax agreement between states to not pay both to some degree.
regardless though Lake County Indiana or Northwest Indiana doesnt have the county option income tax either so thats a plus.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:23 PM

Thank you for all the helpful advice, guys! And thanks for raising the points of living in a low tax state like Indiana, and working in Chicago. That sounds like a wonderful idea!

From your replies, I am leaning a bit towards Chicago. However, I haven't been to Chicago before. Is the cost of living and general quality of life better than say, Boston (since I lived there for a few years)? Also, in regards to the "laid back" attitude of cities, do West Coast cities, such as San Francisco and LA, have a more laid back attitude in general than Chicago or Boston?

Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.