U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 10:34 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times

Advertisements

I was going to say Albuquerque, too :-)

Maybe Colorado, somewhere? The harshness of the winters is overrated (certainly compared to Minn.) unless you live up in the mountains, and it is certainly dry. Some part are way conservative, especially compared to NM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 10:51 AM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdesigns View Post
Very valid point, Mike0421. I never thought of it that way but your insight on the spatial comparison is right on. While in NM, we took a day trip to Santa Fe and though we didn't get as familiar with the neighborhoods or layout of the city, I really LOVED it. My partner of course feels it's too expensive for us and is worried it's too small for what where looking for. Yet, another cross roads. Any thoughts on living in Santa Fe?
I can only echo mike0421 sentiments, pretty much 100%. My partner and I first moved to Santa Fe just this past spring and we really enjoyed living there for a few months. Not sure what kind of work you are in but for us we ended up finding more suitable jobs down here in ABQ recently so we ended up moving down here. I have to say the selection, affordability, and quality of the apartments is much better here in ABQ though I won't rule out Santa Fe entirely in that aspect as the minimum wage is nearly $10 an hour there so you earn more up there. However we are living in a much nicer residential community in the NE heights compared to our transitional apartment up in Santa Fe along with a better job. I love living in ABQ, and now it's the weekend so we're going to drive up to Santa Fe this afternoon and spend the rest of the day. I think Santa Fe is great for visiting and it's only an hours drive away. As for our everyday life Albuquerque keeps us pretty stimulated and I love the high desert and mountain setting here, every morning I see the Sandia Mountains and the open desert on the Westside horizon and it mesmerizes me.

To sum it up, I'm happy living in either Santa Fe or Albuquerque though I understand many would differ in being so agreeable about living in such different cities. I'm just glad to be in NM, it's a magical place. What it came down to for me was jobs and attainability of quality residence and ABQ won out there.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:49 AM

5 posts, read 5,363 times
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I certainly appreciate it. Ok so one of the biggest complaints I hear about ABQ is job availability and quality. Of course I keep an open mind regarding the economy as it bad all over, so given that, is it really more challenging to find a "good" entry level office job in ABQ?

Old 07-29-2012, 01:32 PM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdesigns View Post
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I certainly appreciate it. Ok so one of the biggest complaints I hear about ABQ is job availability and quality. Of course I keep an open mind regarding the economy as it bad all over, so given that, is it really more challenging to find a "good" entry level office job in ABQ?
That's what I landed here. Probably depends on you're background, attitude, and outlook. I took a gamble quitting my job in Boston and moving here without work (of course with a sustainable amount of savings). I found a mediocre job in Santa Fe quickly and a better one in Albuquerque a couple months thereafter. I knew it would all work out and fall into place, and so it did. I'm sure you could get all kinds of different answers to the job question, but it really depends on you to make it work. Hope that helps.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:27 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,392,734 times
Yuma, AZ ?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:10 AM

8,114 posts, read 17,321,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Yuma, AZ ?
Perhaps one of the very strangest places I've ever visited. My feeling here is that the summer population is a fraction of the winter. I have had a notion regarding the small towns that hug the Colorado River in the desert that they are primarily dependent on interstate transportation, and seasonal cold weather escapees. There is not a lot of what I would call urban design, anything approaching it, actually. These places were intended for quick turnaround: motorists coming in and out perpetually, and part-time residents. These factors do not add up to what I would call a home spun experience. Yuma feels like a temporary, overnight stay, not what I could imagine as 'home'. But perhaps I am in the minority.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:24 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,744,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Santa Fe is a pecialized/tourist city, not a big metro. There is one common theme to these types of places: salaries paid <> housing prices. [...] The majority of economy is based on tourism, or service industry dollars. So retail salaries <> housing in places like Santa Fe, Taos, Aspen, Sedona, etc.
Also Palm Springs, which must be mentioned in any listing of warm, dry, gay-friendly places. Although actually, housing prices there seem relatively reasonable to me, but that's probably because I live in San Francisco where the housing market is so wildly distorted.

Job-wise, PS is fairly grim unless you're in hospitality or health care, I suppose. But it's hard to think of anyplace in the Southwest that's any gayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.