U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2012, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
5 posts, read 5,361 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

My partner (yes, I mean it in the gay sense ) and I have decided we'd like to move from Minnesota, our problem is we don't know to where. We've lived here all our lives (we're both in our 30's) and are ready for a change, mostly in climate. Must haves...low humidity, mild winters, good jobs, affordable housing, diversity, sense of culture, acknowledged gay community, blah bla bla. We recently went to Albuquerque, NM (because from previous research, this city hit a lot of our wants) and while my partner really liked it, I'm not so sure. The weather and scenery was gorgeous but something felt "off", just can't put my finger on it. We know that heading west is the key, we're just not sure...how far. Any suggestions? Shared experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,423 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Reputation: 11902
I live in ABQ, and my partner and I live here together. We love it! Perhaps you could give us a candid elaboration on what felt off. Did you not feel a connection or the right kind of chemistry with the city? If so then maybe it's not for you. Tell us more about what you felt about it and/or perhaps some other areas you may be drawn to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 PM
 
185 posts, read 373,894 times
Reputation: 150
Southwest AZ or NM are both good and both have low humidity and are diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 11:36 PM
 
31 posts, read 32,584 times
Reputation: 18
Albuquerque
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 11:57 PM
 
260 posts, read 668,472 times
Reputation: 197
Albuquerque is probably a good choice, but I agree with it feeling off. It's not a bad feeling per se, but, I don't know. I think I have a misinformed opinion about it after movies like Sunshine Cleaning and TV shows like Breaking Bad came out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Minnesota
5 posts, read 5,361 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I live in ABQ, and my partner and I live here together. We love it! Perhaps you could give us a candid elaboration on what felt off. Did you not feel a connection or the right kind of chemistry with the city? If so then maybe it's not for you. Tell us more about what you felt about it and/or perhaps some other areas you may be drawn to.
Well we spent 10 days there (2 weekends and a full week)...and one thing I found "odd" was that the city felt isolated...or on lock down. What I mean is, other then cars on the roads there were little signs of daily activity. No children playing in the yards, no people out on walks (unless it was to a bus stop), no people on bikes (though, I've read ABQ has an awesome bike trail system), and even the businesses we patronized were low activity (and from that, mostly all tourists). There were 3 areas in general that had somewhat of a "city buzz" and those were Downtown, Nob Hill, and Old Town. However, that was only along the main roads like Central. When going off the beaten path, the activity died quickly.

That said, the people we interacted with were very welcoming and friendly...and we witnessed several acts of kindness amongst the locals in these more active areas. SO I guess I have to ask...what gives?
Maybe I'm just naive to the southwest way of living...I'm not too proud to admit that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 10:46 AM
 
Location: 3219'03.7"N 10643'55.9"W
8,114 posts, read 17,319,771 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdesigns View Post
Well we spent 10 days there (2 weekends and a full week)...and one thing I found "odd" was that the city felt isolated...or on lock down. What I mean is, other then cars on the roads there were little signs of daily activity. No children playing in the yards, no people out on walks (unless it was to a bus stop), no people on bikes (though, I've read ABQ has an awesome bike trail system), and even the businesses we patronized were low activity (and from that, mostly all tourists). There were 3 areas in general that had somewhat of a "city buzz" and those were Downtown, Nob Hill, and Old Town. However, that was only along the main roads like Central. When going off the beaten path, the activity died quickly.

That said, the people we interacted with were very welcoming and friendly...and we witnessed several acts of kindness amongst the locals in these more active areas. SO I guess I have to ask...what gives?
Maybe I'm just naive to the southwest way of living...I'm not too proud to admit that.
You know, I would concur with your entire synopsis. Thing of it is, I don't consider that to be necessarily 'odd', and that's unfortunate, a rather sad commentary on how our society functions outdoors in a large city, circa 2012. Perhaps I was privy to this living in a smaller city (Las Cruces) in New Mexico for 6 years and became used to it, but truthfully, this description would translate just the same in Phoenix or Tucson. The 3 neighborhoods you identify are the 'city buzz'. I think the difference yuo might be thrown 'off' to is the spatial comparison. For ABQ and many southwestern 'cities' annex land. Even though the city is stipulated as such, the zip code in the city, depending on where you are, will have more of a suburban feel. The spatial dispersion on a mile by mile basis, therefore, is not unlike the northeast i.e. city center most dense, then less dense outward. The difference is the city proper in ABQ is large, and other than Rio Rancho and Bernalillo, suburbs really don't exist. If you come from a northeastern or midwestern city, then suburbs abound outside the smaller city proper. In ABQ, that would be the equivalent of the 87122 zip in NE Heights/Tramway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
5 posts, read 5,361 times
Reputation: 19
Very valid point, Mike0421. I never thought of it that way but your insight on the spatial comparison is right on. While in NM, we took a day trip to Santa Fe and though we didn't get as familiar with the neighborhoods or layout of the city, I really LOVED it. My partner of course feels it's too expensive for us and is worried it's too small for what where looking for. Yet, another cross roads. Any thoughts on living in Santa Fe?

Last edited by jjdesigns; 07-27-2012 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 01:23 PM
 
Location: 3219'03.7"N 10643'55.9"W
8,114 posts, read 17,319,771 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdesigns View Post
Very valid point, Mike0421. I never thought of it that way but your insight on the spatial comparison is right on. While in NM, we took a day trip to Santa Fe and though we didn't get as familiar with the neighborhoods or layout of the city, I really LOVED it. My partner of course feels it's too expensive for us and is worried it's too small for what where looking for. Yet, another cross roads. Any thoughts on living in Santa Fe?
Santa Fe is a pecialized/tourist city, not a big metro. There is one common theme to these types of places: salaries paid <> housing prices. Most of the money is brought in from other places from successful people who have made their fortunes elsewhere. Most cities and metros are conventional in the sense that there are generic suburbs that surround the major cities where the money is earned. Santa Fe doesn't follow this rule. You have a small set of professionals, independently wealthy people, entrepreneurs, artists. Not a lot of big corporations where middle managers with college degrees pulling high five figure salaries. The majority of economy is based on tourism, or service industry dollars. So retail salaries <> housing in places like Santa Fe, Taos, Aspen, Sedona, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Austin,Tx
1,691 posts, read 3,090,539 times
Reputation: 698
How about Tucson or the Phoenix area

Home : VisitPhoenix.com

Scottsdale, Arizona Travel Site: Scottsdale Hotels, Restaurants, Golf Courses, Spas and More

Tucson Arizona Vacation and Travel Info - Hotels - Restaurants - Official Tucson Visitors Bureau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top