Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:11 AM

163 posts, read 259,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Anywhere that isn't NYC.

You anything for sayin that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 07:15 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Rural is anywhere where you can sit on your front porch and fire your rifle into the air without worrying about hitting a neighbor. Not too many rural areas left.
GL2

Old 08-15-2012, 08:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
North Daykota, I was there a few years ago and I have NEVER seen anywhere as sparsley populated in my life. It was truely like mars there. There were no houses for at least 20 miles at one stage. I'm sorry but I don't know how anyone can live like that, what if there was a medical emergency or something happened? You'd be on your own then and you'd have hardly any friends either.
The same argument could be used for a cellphone -- What if there was a medical emergency or something happened? But people (like your parents) managed to get through those emergencies for thousands of years before cellphones. And how many times in your life were you ever in an emergency in which you needed someone to save your life within 20 minutes? People who live in those kinds of circumstances are, umm, more careful. Like mountain climbers and parachutists and scuba divers. They can't afford the luxury of negligence, and get used to it.

Novelist Norman Rush pointed out that you have to live in a city of at least a million in order to be assured of having three friends. But, in North Dakota, you'd have to have at least three strangers passing by in order to have three friends. That's the way people are in places like that.

B y the way, if you think the "middle of nowhere" is bad, try some places that are out on the edges of nowhere, like Canada's Queen Charlotte Islands, or the coast of Labrador. Or even places like Stienhatchie Florida or Boca Chica Texas or Candelaria Texas or Neah Bay Washington or Bois Blanc, Michigan.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-15-2012 at 08:58 AM..

Old 08-15-2012, 10:17 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jamaica,Queens boy View Post
I think they don't because in my section PCP which has a Rep for being bad (its not bad) they harass the pizza delivery guys so what would with Chinese
Aha, yes, PCP isn't well-liked by the locals because the people who live there came from places like the Bronx and brought a lot of crime up with them. My sister has been living in the Poconos for more than 30 years, and when her daughter was in high school, she started carrying a knife to school because the NYers who moved up there were picking fights. My sister packed her daughter up and sent her to live with my mom in Jersey for high school.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:10 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,651 times
Why, Arizona.

That place is literally a ghost town.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Rural is anywhere where you can sit on your front porch and fire your rifle into the air without worrying about hitting a neighbor. Not too many rural areas left.
GL2
Sadly, though, a lot of people left who think it is self-fulfilling to fire a rifle in the air.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:24 PM

785 posts, read 1,882,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Why, Arizona.

That place is literally a ghost town.
Surely a place that was once 'somewhere' is far less 'nowhere' than one that wasn't.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:22 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
If you want to see the middle of nowhere come out to Wyoming. We have plenty of that!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Sadly, though, a lot of people left who think it is self-fulfilling to fire a rifle in the air.
You are right jtur. Firing a rifle in the air would not be a good idea. But like my post implied if you CANNOT fire a rifle into the air without endangering a neighbor you are not living in a RURAL area. That's a joke but maybe Texas is too crowded.

GL2

Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
If you want to see the middle of nowhere come out to Wyoming. We have plenty of that!
And most of them live in town.
GL2
Sorry Wyo Eagle. That was meant as a reply to jtur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.