U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City is more associated with:
New Jersey & Connecticut 98 93.33%
Upstate New York 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:22 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,847,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
You cant see the skyline outside of the NJ metro region either.

but ill post this anyway..

From Suffern, NY (Rockland)
once again that is part of the nyc metro area smh.

im not even surprised that the city boarders new jersey at that.

Why at this point are you still having difficulties understanding the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 12:22 AM

115 posts, read 84,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I think Westchester counts. But just because it's connected to more counties further up doesn't mean they're all the same. The metro area and city associations have to end somewhere. Going by your logic, you could say that California associates with NYC just because eventually, a New York County will lead to a CA county by way of other counties. It doesn't make sense. The association ends somewhere. And I think it's north of Westchester county. Where the news stops broadcasting, where NYC radio stations don't reach, and where you can't see NYC anymore. I live in Cranford. You can see NYC from the exit 137 (Cranford) parkway overpass. Can you see NYC from upstate New York (and I mean north of the metro region)? They make metro regions for a reason. It's because places within the metro region are all similar. And sometimes, even the boundaries are really reaching. For example, Pike County, PA? Really?

Buffalo has its own metro region. So does Syracuse. New Jersey doesn't. We're either Philly or New York. Mostly New York. You can't say that cities with their own metro regions are more connected to NYC than places within the NYC metro area. It makes zero sense.

Of course NYC and NY state cities/town are associated with one another. They're in the same state. Just overall, not more so than NJ is to NYC.

I made this point earlier, that its funny how someone from NYC driving two hours to the Jersey Shore isnt far, or even to AC, but driving two hours to Albany is "far."

Part of it is mindset.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:23 AM

12,636 posts, read 10,483,539 times
The bottom line is, when people from the NYC area think of upstate, they think beyond the NYC metro area. Like, really far upstate. And west. I think that's what the OP referred to. Those parts of NY associate in no way with NYC other than being in the same state. I've lived in Union County my whole life, I know what I am talking about. Have never moved permanently. Have also lived in Staten Island for school. Trust me. I know what I am talking about.

We think of NYC as the metro area because that's who shares our news and radio and any other cultural similarities. I carry a metro card. Do people from upstate NY have metro cards? I think not. Not if the subway is 2+ hours away. The most out of state plates I see in Northern NJ are NY and CT. Especially NY, though. And sorry, but I don't think those people are coming from far upstate. They're coming from the five boroughs, most likely.

'Associate' in this case means when you think NYC, what else do you think of? First thing to mind for anyone that knows what they're talking about is NJ and CT and lower New York counties also part of the metro. No one thinks of Buffalo (Or PA - still can't get over how Pike County is apparently part of the metro. Sorry but a two hour drive to Manhattan every day is not desirable. Next.). If they do, they need to get their head checked. End of story. NO ONE in my area thinks of the upper counties or cities of NY when thinking of NYC. No one. And to be honest, some people completely ignore Westchester County. Forget about Dutchess County. But that's just ignorance. Again, they're metro areas with boundaries for a reason. Association ends somewhere.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:28 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,420,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
While conn and nj are certainly part of the nyc economy, this extends only to northern new jersey, as the rest of the state is far less "new york" and more its own state (yes, new jersey does have its own wonderful culture). as for conn, any association with nyc dries up after stamford. In new york, the associaiton stretches from the eastern tip of suffolk to niagara falls.
It depends how you define NYC economy. Central NJ is often considered part of the NYC Metro area. West Windsor, NJ (near Princeton; 15th most affluent neighborhood in the US) is populated by Wall St. workers that take the train in. Mercer County to Ocean County are considered NYC Metro area. It's basically all of NJ other than South NJ that is associated with NYC.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
I made this point earlier, that its funny how someone from NYC driving two hours to the Jersey Shore isnt far, or even to AC, but driving two hours to Albany is "far."

Part of it is mindset.
Right. That should prove my point. And in the mindset of people from NYC, Jersey is closer than upstate is. And by upstate, they mean out of the metro area. Which is obvious, anyway. Again, people in the NYC metro area count 'upstate' as north of the metro area. To me, 'upstate NY' is north. So north that there's no media influence of NYC into those areas. The counties part of the NYC metro area are southern. Not as Southern as NYC and LI, but still southern. Which is why they're still part of the metro area. Because beyond them, other metro areas begin. Everyone wants to be part of the NYC metro area, but it just can't happen.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
All 3 of them. Tristate area NY-NJ-CT. Upstate is the other half of the state that makes NYS great. Wouldn't change it for the world, NYS cities outside of the NYC area are much to underrated, Syracuse being my favorite of the bunch.

This might be the comment I was referring to.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It depends how you define NYC economy. Central NJ is often considered part of the NYC Metro area. West Windsor, NJ (near Princeton; 15th most affluent neighborhood in the US) is populated by Wall St. workers that take the train in. Mercer County to Ocean County are considered NYC Metro area. It's basically all of NJ other than South NJ that is associated with NYC.

Princeton is weird. I lived in Somerset, and thats CNJ, all NY influenced, but somewhere in that half hour drive down route 1 it becomes more Philly culturally, even if Princeton is technically in the NYC MSA.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The bottom line is, when people from the NYC area think of upstate, they think beyond the NYC metro area. Like, really far upstate. And west. I think that's what the OP referred to. Those parts of NY associate in no way with NYC other than being in the same state. I've lived in Union County my whole life, I know what I am talking about. Have never moved permanently. Have also lived in Staten Island for school. Trust me. I know what I am talking about.

We think of NYC as the metro area because that's who shares our news and radio and any other cultural similarities. I carry a metro card. Do people from upstate NY have metro cards? I think not. Not if the subway is 2+ hours away. The most out of state plates I see in Northern NJ are NY and CT. Especially NY, though. And sorry, but I don't think those people are coming from far upstate. They're coming from the five boroughs, most likely.

'Associate' in this case means when you think NYC, what else do you think of? First thing to mind for anyone that knows what they're talking about is NJ and CT and lower New York counties also part of the metro. No one thinks of Buffalo (Or PA - still can't get over how Pike County is apparently part of the metro. Sorry but a two hour drive to Manhattan every day is not desirable. Next.). If they do, they need to get their head checked. End of story. NO ONE in my area thinks of the upper counties or cities of NY when thinking of NYC. No one. And to be honest, some people completely ignore Westchester County. Forget about Dutchess County. But that's just ignorance. Again, they're metro areas with boundaries for a reason. Association ends somewhere.

You are talking to someone who does.

It is more common than you think. Especially these days where social networking is rampant. Generations arent nearly as domesticated as they were before. Im in the city a lot and im back up in Utica.

I have a friend originially from Flushing who moved to Utica when he was 9. Dad worked in Edison and came back up to Utica every other weekend because thats where the fam is. You wouldnt think stuff like that happens, but it does.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:38 AM

Also, there are many Upstate who want hi-speed rail.

Its ridiculous to think that NJT goes to South Jersey but theres no lines on the Metro North that goes to even Albany, which is the same distance.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
You are talking to someone who does.

It is more common than you think. Especially these days where social networking is rampant. Generations arent nearly as domesticated as they were before. Im in the city a lot and im back up in Utica.

I have a friend originially from Flushing who moved to Utica when he was 9. Dad worked in Edison and came back up to Utica every other weekend because thats where the fam is. You wouldnt think stuff like that happens, but it does.
Haha, well you are certainly a minority then.

This debate just depends on what your definition of upstate is. To people in the metro area, it's outside of the metro area. To you, it includes the metro area counties of NY. But still, you can't argue that NJ is most closely related to NYC, out of the three choices. CT barely counts, IMHO. And the counties above the Bronx just don't have the proximity that Jersey does overall. I mean, New Jersey sits right across from all of Manhattan, what faces the Hudson of Brooklyn, and Staten Island. No one else can beat that. And for that reason, the two are most associated. Getting to and from Manhattan and anywhere else from NE NJ is just so so easy. Ferry, train, PATH, bus, car. Four different bridges from NJ (in Bergen, Hudson, Union, and Middlesex counties) access NYC, two tunnels. Multiple ferry ports (again, from Bergen/Hudson, and apparently soon to be Union, to Middlesex). CT and other NY counties can't boast the same

New York's influence is shown almost everywhere in NJ. I don't think the same could be said about other NY cities. Again, they have their own identities. Their own metro areas. NJ's identities really fall within whether you live closer to NYC or Philly. Sports teams. Which city you go to the most. Someone from far upstate wouldn't go to NYC every weekend. It would be too much. It's a pain to get to even from NJ sometimes because it's all a fricken island!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or