Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City is more associated with:
New Jersey & Connecticut 98 93.33%
Upstate New York 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 04:59 AM

628 posts, read 662,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Haha, actually, to be honest, there's big debate over the boundaries of NJ and whether or not a central Jersey even exists. NJ's too small to be divided into 3 regions, IMO. Some people claim Union County is Central Jersey. Really? It's 20 miles from NYC and it's central? I would consider Middlesex and Mercer counties to be central, but also could southern. Some people just say anything north of the Driscoll Bridge on the parkway (in Middlesex county) is North Jersey, and anything south of it is South Jersey. It's hard to say to be completely honest. I'm not even trying to be difficult here.

And no, I really don't know much about NYS geography. All I need to know is that anything above the metro area is basically irrelevant to my life because it is not my area. And people from around here generally agree with that sentiment. We feel that anything above the metro area is a different world. And I've been there. It is a different world; beautiful, but very very different.
Its fine that you think "upstate" is a different world. But you cannot tell me that new haven has a nyc vibe, or hartford - because they do not. Again, just because wikipedia puts it in nyc metro does not mean its nyc, or "like" nyc. hell, where I grew up on long island feels more like maine than new york. The whole metro region idea is flawed to begin with.

You also cannot tell me there is any discernible difference between syracuse and trenton. I have lived in both and the two are almost identical.

To stick to the op - nyc/jersey is the correct answer. I would exclude conn from this poll as less than a quarter of the state can be associated with ny. central to eastern conn is definately more new england than nyc.

But still, as I said before, all of these areas are just different shades of the same color. I think everyone can agree on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 05:04 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I had someone on here tell me I wasn' t from Upstate. Hehe. Not where I live now, but I lived south of Albany for years and I wasn't considered an Upstater. Hysterical. And, I personally don't consider or think of Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo as true blue Upstate, more Central and Western NY, which is a different vibe from what I say as Upstate--any cities, communities tracking north of downstate towards Albany. But, in those areas you can feel some of the NYC vibe and we had some city influence because people relocated to that area or spent time there. Here where I am is devoid of NYC influence. I mean nadda, nothing, couldn't tell if I was in NY state as I used to define it or Kansas or Iowa. Well, then the North Country has its' own vibe, too. This thread cracks me up.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:10 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
Western NYers are pretty hellbent on not being included in the Upstate NY sub-region thing.

You wouldnt think Albany, Utica and Syracuse people would be debating with Rochester and Buffalo people at SUNY schools, but they do. Then you add NYC and LI into it.
Funny, I grew up in Rochester and nobody used the term Western NY when referring to where we were from. It was always Upstate. I don't know too many people in Roc that use that term at all. It's more of a Buffalo thing.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:10 AM

628 posts, read 662,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
I had someone on here tell me I wasn' t from Upstate. Hehe. Not where I live now, but I lived south of Albany for years and I wasn't considered an Upstater. Hysterical. And, I personally don't consider or think of Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo as true blue Upstate, more Central and Western NY, which is a different vibe from what I say as Upstate--any cities, communities tracking north of downstate towards Albany. But, in those areas you can feel some ofthe NYC vibe and we had lots of City because people relocated in that area or spent time there. Here where I am is devoid of NYC influence. I mean nadda, nothing, couldn't tell if I was in NY state as I used to define it or Kansas or Iowa. Well, then the North Country has its' own vibe, too. This thread cracks me up.
That you think albany and syracuse are different cracks me up.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post

20 years ago Albany felt different from here. But, that was then, through my eyes then, so maybe there isn't much difference now. I felt it was more middle class, more energy (capitol), more activity, more of everything. Also, you have the years gone and deterioration, from my vantage point, in these upstate cities so that's another factor.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:23 AM

215 posts, read 384,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
I spent a semester at SUNY Brockport outside Rochester. People from Buffalo and Rochester were adamant to other people from around the state that they are Western NY, not Upstate.

The OP needed to be more specific.
You are correct my friend I am from Buffalo, and we(along with Rochester) refer to our area as "Western". NOT upstate. It's not just us either, the press and media refer to us as WNY as well. Here is a perfect example.

Body pulled from western New York creek - New York News | New York Breaking News | NYC Headlines

Oh look, here is another from Wall Street Journal.

5 charged with robbing farm workers in western NY - WSJ.com

Quote:
PIKE, N.Y. — Authorities say they've charged five people in connection with the beating and robbing of migrant workers employed at dairy farms in a western New York county.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:33 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
I had someone on here tell me I wasn' t from Upstate. Hehe. Not where I live now, but I lived south of Albany for years and I wasn't considered an Upstater. Hysterical. And, I personally don't consider or think of Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo as true blue Upstate, more Central and Western NY, which is a different vibe from what I say as Upstate--any cities, communities tracking north of downstate towards Albany. But, in those areas you can feel some of the NYC vibe and we had some city influence because people relocated to that area or spent time there. Here where I am is devoid of NYC influence. I mean nadda, nothing, couldn't tell if I was in NY state as I used to define it or Kansas or Iowa. Well, then the North Country has its' own vibe, too. This thread cracks me up.
Nope, someone said that there are people that don't consider the Hudson Valley to be Upstate NY. Big difference.

Also, for the last time, Upstate NY has subregions. Central NY is in Upstate NY. All Upstate NY means is the part of the state north of the NYC metro area, by and large. That still leaves a good chunk of the state in terms of land. Hence, the subregions. It isn't that hard to understand. Yikes!

Old 08-15-2012, 05:35 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
you also seem to think that Syracuse and Rochester are different which cracks me up. They are essentially the same city.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Nope, someone said that there are people that don't consider the Hudson Valley to be Upstate NY. Big difference.

Also, for the last time, Upstate NY has subregions. Central NY is in Upstate NY. All Upstate NY means is the part of the state north of the NYC metro area, by and large. That still leaves a good chunk of the state in terms of land. Hence, the subregions. It isn't that hard to understand. Yikes!
You don't even think the Hudson Valley is upstate and you're giving geography lessons. You posted someone else's opinion that you disagree with? Why would anyone do that? That's beyond comprehension.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 08-15-2012 at 08:53 AM..

Old 08-15-2012, 08:42 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
exactly - not sure why this is so complicated for some......... and every subregion refers to themselves by that subregion .... nothing really unique there either

here is a link to the elmira/corning "your southern tier news"
Southern Tier - Elmira/Corning - YNN, Your News Now

i guess that means they aren't upstate NY either......................

dopey and really not worth going any further with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.