U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City is more associated with:
New Jersey & Connecticut 98 93.33%
Upstate New York 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:14 PM

491 posts, read 468,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Kind of a weird poll question, with a predictable answer. New York City and upstate New York have very little to do with each other culturally or geographically.

The only part of upstate NY that is associated with Pennsylvania would be the Southern Tier. The rest is all on its own.
Not true.

NYC metro and upstate are more alike than either area wants to admit. To say that nj and conn are "like" nyc but upstate (albany and syracuse) are not is just false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 11:17 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,854,943 times
new york and Connecticut by far. People in buffalo, rochester , and syracuse actually refer to use new york city folks as new yorkers lol. That right their shows you all the proof you need to know lol.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:18 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,854,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Not true.

NYC metro and upstate are more alike than either area wants to admit. To say that nj and conn are "like" nyc but upstate (albany and syracuse) are not is just false.
albany and syracuse are nothing like new york city. new jersey and ct are a bit more similar. Plus everyone is more at home in the nj-ct-nyc area.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:18 AM

It would be interesting to see how many people who have posted/voted have actually ever lived in nyc metro and upstate.

I have, and so do many others that I know. We all agree that upstate and downstate are more similiar than different. There are many preconceived notions on this board as to what "upstate" is, and usually they are incorrect. There is much more of a cultural exchange between the two areas, and this too often gets little to no credit, and mostly from posters who have never lived in either area.

and yes, albany and syracuse are more "new york" than new hartford

Old 08-13-2012, 04:47 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 19 days ago)

8,692 posts, read 10,842,175 times
No association of NYC with upstate except for limited parts. For the rest, it might as well be another country.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:14 AM

Again, not true.

If you are a professional in upstate, such as in law, business or finance, you are connected with nyc on almost a daily basis. This is undisputable.

While conn and nj are certainly part of the nyc economy, this extends only to northern new jersey, as the rest of the state is far less "new york" and more its own state (yes, new jersey does have its own wonderful culture). as for conn, any association with nyc dries up after stamford. In new york, the associaiton stretches from the eastern tip of suffolk to niagara falls.

It is also disingenious for those on this board who have not lived in either area, to make comments. This board suffers from too many uninformed opinions.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:22 AM

17,247 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Quote:
Again, not true.

If you are a professional in upstate, such as in law, business or finance, you are connected with nyc on almost a daily basis. This is undisputable.

While conn and nj are certainly part of the nyc economy, this extends only to northern new jersey, as the rest of the state is far less "new york" and more its own state (yes, new jersey does have its own wonderful culture). as for conn, any association with nyc dries up after stamford. In new york, the associaiton stretches from the eastern tip of suffolk to niagara falls.

It is also disingenious for those on this board who have not lived in either area, to make comments. This board suffers from too many uninformed opinions.
We'd like to know then what exactly is this stronger connection between NYC and upstate New York other than being in the same state politically. Please explain.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:02 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,735,931 times
How do the forests, lakes, and thinly populated rural areas in the downstate/Metro region, say within a 1.5 mile drive of NYC, fit in with the whole cultural divide described in the OP?

I am of the opinion that true NYC culture as separate from upstate does not extend much past northern Westchester and the parts of Rockland closest to the Tappan Zee.

As someone from the inner-ring (southern Westchester) I find that while I may have more in common with someone from Stamford, CT than upstate, I have more in common with someone from upstate NY than most New Mexicans, urban or rural.

Shoot, I have more in common with Vermonters than New Mexicans. I think people from NY (both sides) who most vociferously make this argument of cultural dissociation from their neighbors of the same state lack some perspective.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
We'd like to know then what exactly is this stronger connection between NYC and upstate New York other than being in the same state politically. Please explain.
Fair enough. I will explain:

1. proximity is overrated. This should be indisputable. just because your"close" to manhatten does not really mean a thing.
2. Politically connected is about the biggest factor that connects two areas. I am not sure if you were downgrading that or not; but it should never be underestimated.
3. law controls all, and law is local/state. jersey and connecticut residents do operate under the one law as new york does.
4. education system. from k -12 all new york residents are put through the best education system in the country. jersey and conn do not apply here.
5. suny system for colleges creates an exchange of students between nyc and upstate that is not seen on any determinable level with nj and conn.
6. business - most co. have hq in nyc. they expand and the number one area for expansion/satelite offices is not nj - its upstate. Again, this creates a constant exchange. Albany makes sure this happens and its located upstate in case anyone missed that.

Lastly, I lived in jersey for years, i love jersey, but it is its own place and should be celebrated as such. Not as "new york lite." as for conn, the argument really doesnt do much for me beside the greenwhich/stamford area. beside that small portion connecticut really shouldnt be part of this discussion.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:12 PM

16,737 posts, read 23,166,303 times
Quote:
It would be interesting to see how many people who have posted/voted have actually ever lived in nyc metro and upstate.

I have, and so do many others that I know. We all agree that upstate and downstate are more similiar than different. There are many preconceived notions on this board as to what "upstate" is, and usually they are incorrect. There is much more of a cultural exchange between the two areas, and this too often gets little to no credit, and mostly from posters who have never lived in either area.

and yes, albany and syracuse are more "new york" than new hartford
LOL, this is ridiculous. And I'm from the NYC area.

You can't tell me that Syracuse has more ties with NYC than Hoboken or Stamford, or even New Haven (served by NYC's commuter rail).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or