U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City is more associated with:
New Jersey & Connecticut 98 93.33%
Upstate New York 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:10 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,808,378 times

Advertisements

Why would you assosicate NYC with upstate? Thats like saying pittsburgh and cleveland are related they arent. Majority of the people and suburbs of NYC are located in NJ or CT while only a few suburbs are located in upstate ny. Besides upstate generally hates nyc and tries to differ themselves as much as possible from nyc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 12:39 AM

2,650 posts, read 5,158,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-NJ-CT View Post
but I also like living far enough away that criminals won't think about us first.
Yikes....................... Quite a telling statement.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:53 AM

17,219 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Why would you assosicate NYC with upstate?
Because it is unusual for the main city of a state to be associated with 2 other states more than the state it's located in. I don't think there are any other examples like this in the U.S.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:28 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Because it is unusual for the main city of a state to be associated with 2 other states more than the state it's located in. I don't think there are any other examples like this in the U.S.

In some ways Philly gets a lot of association with Jersey. While 70% of the metro lives in PA Philly by much of the state is associated with Jersey or viewed differently from the majority of the rest of the state

Old 10-15-2012, 12:52 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,847,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Why would you assosicate NYC with upstate? Thats like saying pittsburgh and cleveland are related they arent. Majority of the people and suburbs of NYC are located in NJ or CT while only a few suburbs are located in upstate ny. Besides upstate generally hates nyc and tries to differ themselves as much as possible from nyc
Your example would of been better if you used Philly instead of Cleveland. Afterall Cleveland and Pittsburg are not in the same state.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:25 PM

12,636 posts, read 10,483,539 times
Quote:
I hear you as far as view goes, but Westchester borders NYC and CT borders Westchester. It is actually easier for us to go into the city (toll free too!) than it is for NJ and all points west to. I like living close ot NYC, but I also like living far enough away that criminals won't think about us first.
No way is it easier for anyone anywhere in CT to get to NYC than for someone from Hudson County, NJ to. Or even Bergen County. Bergen County has a bridge direct to Manhattan and Hudson County has two tunnels direct to Manhattan, as well as the PATH. It can take someone from Hudson County under 10 minutes to get to Manhattan using a train.

I don't understand the criminals part of that, I'm sorry.

And I don't think that CT as a whole should be counted as an NYC affiliate in any way. Only a few of its counties should count as NYC metro areas, the ones that do are decent. I do think that CT should be considered New England and after a certain point in the state I think people do associate with Boston. Maybe not your part, but as you said yourself, your county borders Westchester County. That's definitely the NYC metro. But sorry, no way is CT closer to NYC than NJ is. Nothing beats Hudson County in proximity to Manhattan, in many aspects not even Brooklyn or Queens!

I would also like to add that I don't "hate on" CT, especially because of its wealth as you said! The New York metro region is one of the wealthiest and is the most powerful in the nation, you'll find very wealthy people in all 3 states in the area. It is a stereotype that CT is wealthy just like it's one that NJ is dirty. Although you pointed out that you're not part of the wealthy crowd in CT, it still makes you seem like you feel superior because your state is viewed as wealthy, please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't care about money people have in each state. I care about location. As far as closeness to NYC, both states have it but sorry I still think NJ wins. As I said, Hudson County? Nothing's closer that's not NYC itself. Perhaps people tend to disregard CT because 1. it IS New England, whether you prefer it to be or not and 2. only a few of its counties are actually in the NYC metro region compared to all of North NJ minus one county, so I think it tends to get overshadowed. I still think that no two states have more of a close tie than NY and NJ though. The port Authority of NY and NJ is one example of our close ties to one another.

So, I don't dislike CT, honestly I really have no feeling toward it. It's a tri-state area state, it's mentioned sometimes in the news I watch and often on tri-state TV commercials, and I drive through it to get to Maine that's about it

Old 10-25-2012, 10:45 PM

160 posts, read 266,960 times
NJ and CT, most definitely. The fact that neighboring areas in both states are so close to such a huge cultural hub has a ton of influence on just about everything.

Thanks to driving up to Boston frequently the first thing I think about when I hear "CT" are the fact that their road warning signs on 95 have cutesy rhymes.

My family used to have a lakehouse on the border of NY and PA waaay out in the sticks, I tend to associate upstate NY with the catskills and the little towns and communities up there, far more blue collar than what comes to mind for NYC/NJ/CT.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:22 PM

161 posts, read 114,324 times
Upstate is nothing like NYC.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:41 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,303,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Philly - NJ - Delaware too, but maybe to a lesser extent(?). Can't think of any others though.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:16 PM

56,003 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
From my experience, it appears that anyone considers upstate anything north of the Bronx all the way to Canada going north following the Rockland, Orange and Westchester County geography. Once you go west, you get into a different area. I know that people in Westchester and Rockland hate being called upstate NY because it makes it seem as if they are in a different region from NYC. It is just the way I hate having CT called New England because it assumes that we must be down with Boston when Boston is 3+ hours from us.
I grew up in Bergen County, NJ, ten miles tops from the Rockland border. SUFFERN was called upstate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or