U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City is more associated with:
New Jersey & Connecticut 98 93.33%
Upstate New York 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:50 PM

115 posts, read 84,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I actually think that Johnny Motts makes some valid points, especially the NYC people moving to Upstate point. For instance 75-80% of the state's inmates come from 7 mostly minority areas of NYC. Many times, family members may move Upstate to be closer to incarcerated family members, as well as for QOL/lower COL reasons. I met a lady in Auburn that moved from Queens for such reasons. Same with families with children in residential schools too.

There is also an exchange in terms of college students from Upstate and Downstate going to SUNY and CUNY schools. Same with private schools as well. For instance, here in the Syracuse City SD, there is the "Say Yes to Education"program, which allows students to attend SUNY and CUNY schools tuition free. http://
Say Yes to College | Say Yes to Education - Syracuse

You also see Syracuse University athletics market itself as NY's College Team, with ads in Times Square and Yankee Stadium. Many of the Football recruits in recent years have been PSAL guys, as Coach Marrone himself is a Bronx native that attended and played at Lehman High.

Even I grew up watching Yankees games on WPIX, Mets games on WOR and even WNYW 5 back in the early-mid 80's when they showed Soul Train late Friday nights/midnight on Saturday(which moved to WPIX later) mornings, Jets pre season games and those "Do You Know Where Your Kids Are?" quick commercials/promos. Oddly enough, we don't get any of those stations up here on Time Warner Cable.

Hes making Upstate NY out to be Montana or Idaho.

Ive lived all over NY and NJ. His statements are extremely off base.

Albany and Utica contain very large amounts of people originally from the city.

Sure, the further west along the thruway towards Buffalo, the lesser the amount would get I would assume, but there are SUNY and private schools out there that bring many NYC people to those places.

Hes gotta realize, if Upstate has 7 million people in a state of 19, 12 million come from Downstate. Thats a very large pool of people to move around the state.

Does he honestly think these people dont have relatives Upstate or go Upstate for school?

As you referenced, look at the prison system. At least 3/4ths of the inmates are from the city, and often times, when theyre released, they stay Upstate.

There are a ton of gang and drug issues in Utica alone that were brought from downstate that I know of.

I subbed an alternative ed class at Proctor HS a few years ago, and there was one kid in the class from Utica. The rest were from the city originally (Brooklyn, Bronx, Uptown Manhattan) that had moved Upstate.

A lot of blacks and PRs come from the city.

Often times, theyre living with extended family Upstate. I had tons of friends growing up that had fam in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 10:51 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,845,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
No, tons of New Jersey people either say "New York" or "the city."

I lived in NJ for 3 years. Elizabeth and Somerset. Went to school there. Met plenty from all over the state to gauge an idea.
no your wrong. i am always in new jersey and know plenty of people their. Most new jersey folks i know, and have met will say the city(referring to manhattan which proves my point), and others will tell you that they are going to staten, brooklyn, bronx.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Long Island does the same thing?

Your entire basis for Upstate/Downstate difference is because people up in Central and Western NY refer to NYC as "New York" and not "the city"?

You realize on LI, destination signs say "New York X miles"?

I guess Long Island isnt downstate either.
yet another post that does not make any sense. Where is long island coming from?? i don't even consider long island as part of nyc(literally) but most new yorkers tend to say it is. If not most people will say brooklyn and queens are part of long island.

long island is a suburb which i consider is part of ny state, but its not part of upstate clearly.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
NJ & CT, it's all one metro area. I always saw Upstate as a different region, it's just so different and far. I never really associate Downstate & Upstate with each other.

I mean of course there are a few ties being that they're in the same state but they don't have much in common.

Its funny that two hours up to Albany is far, but two hours to South Jersey isnt.

Does anyone realize this?

In the time an NYer goes to AC or the shore, they can go to Albany, but Albany is "too far."

Old 08-13-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Hes making Upstate NY out to be Montana or Idaho.

Ive lived all over NY and NJ. His statements are extremely off base.

Albany and Utica contain very large amounts of people originally from the city.

Sure, the further west along the thruway towards Buffalo, the lesser the amount would get I would assume, but there are SUNY and private schools out there that bring many NYC people to those places.

Hes gotta realize, if Upstate has 7 million people in a state of 19, 12 million come from Downstate. Thats a very large pool of people to move around the state.

Does he honestly think these people dont have relatives Upstate or go Upstate for school?

As you referenced, look at the prison system. At least 3/4ths of the inmates are from the city, and often times, when theyre released, they stay Upstate.

There are a ton of gang and drug issues in Utica alone that were brought from downstate that I know of.

I subbed an alternative ed class at Proctor HS a few years ago, and there was one kid in the class from Utica. The rest were from the city originally (Brooklyn, Bronx, Uptown Manhattan) that had moved Upstate.

A lot of blacks and PRs come from the city.

Often times, theyre living with extended family Upstate. I had tons of friends growing up that had fam in the city.
your post is completly off topic. your only talking about transplants. Thats not what this thread is about

the thread specifically states which one of the 2 places are more associated with nyc. Clearly nj, and ct. What do transplants have to do with anything???

so by your statements virginia, atlanta, maryland , florida, north Carolina associate with nyc very well, and better then nj and ct because of transplants?

Old 08-13-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
yet another post that does not make any sense. Where is long island coming from?? i don't even consider long island as part of nyc(literally) but most new yorkers tend to say it is. If not most people will say brooklyn and queens are part of long island.

long island is a suburb which i consider is part of ny state, but its not part of upstate clearly.

You said people from Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo call NYC "New York" and used that as a basis for downstate/upstate differences.

However, Long Island people say the same thing, and its downstate, so your logic isnt valid.

LI destination signs going East say "New York"

Old 08-13-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Its funny that two hours up to Albany is far, but two hours to South Jersey isnt.

Does anyone realize this?

In the time an NYer goes to AC or the shore, they can go to Albany, but Albany is "too far."
albany might get a pass, but rochester, buffalo, and syracuse do not.

my best friend goes to school in canton, ny. 7 hour trip and is close to the boarder of canada. Sure those folks associate with us new york city folks

Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
You said people from Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo call NYC "New York" and used that as a basis for downstate/upstate differences.

However, Long Island people say the same thing, and its downstate, so your logic isnt valid.

LI destination signs going East say "New York"
are you comparing signs to people?

most people in long island for a fact tell you specifically where they are going.

brooklyn, bronx, staten, the city.

i have never heard a long island person say they are going to NEW YORK CITY

Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
We'd like to know then what exactly is this stronger connection between NYC and upstate New York other than being in the same state politically. Please explain.

Well theres many cultural connections. For one, demographically, theyre the same (mainly Italian, Irish, Black and PR), although obvious less dense.

Education. SUNY schools.

Economic. Upstate prison system is a massive part of Upstate economy, and most of the inmates are from downstate.

Ill go more in depth if need be.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
are you comparing signs to people?

most people in long island for a fact tell you specifically where they are going.

brooklyn, bronx, staten, the city.

i have never heard a long island person say they are going to NEW YORK CITY

Suggesting that Upstate people dont refer to boroughs (im one) is false.

Rochester and Buffalo also are not Upstate. They are Western NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or