U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City is more associated with:
New Jersey & Connecticut 98 93.33%
Upstate New York 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 11:06 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,881,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
Well theres a cultural connection for one. Demographically, theyre the same (mainly Italian, Irish, Black and PR), although obvious less dense.

Education connection for another.

Economic.

Ill go more in depth if need be.
makes no sense. nyc has similar demographic comparisons to many cities that are not in ny state all over the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 11:07 PM

115 posts, read 84,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
albany might get a pass, but rochester, buffalo, and syracuse do not.

my best friend goes to school in canton, ny. 7 hour trip and is close to the boarder of canada. Sure those folks associate with us new york city folks

Im from Utica, and even ive never been to Canton in my life. That is 2-3 hours North. This is probably the first time ive ever referenced it.

Do you realize how large NYS really is?

Would you assume someone from Poughkeepsie regularly would go to Canton on weekends?

Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Suggesting that Upstate people dont refer to boroughs (im one) is false.

Rochester and Buffalo also are not Upstate. They are Western NY.
their not upstate according to them, but down here in nyc?? anything past dutchess county is upstate.

most new yorkers would consider dutchess county as upstate as well only because they dont know that our metro reaches out their.

most people think upstate starts after westchester county.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Im from Utica, and even ive never been to Canton in my life. That is 2-3 hours North. This is probably the first time ive ever referenced it.

Do you realize how large NYS really is?

Would you assume someone from Poughkeepsie regularly would go to Canton on weekends?
off coarse i know how large nys is. On my post i clearly state the long hourly commutes to certain parts.

poughkeepsie is part of the nyc metro i believe. So if your going to use poughkeepsie then your pretty must constradicitng yourself.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
their not upstate according to them, but down here in nyc?? anything past dutchess county is upstate.

most new yorkers would consider dutchess county as upstate as well only because they dont know that our metro reaches out their.

most people think upstate starts after westchester county.

Do you not realize that Upstate counties (Westchester, Rockland, etc.) also have commuters like NJ and CT do?

MetroNorth? Amtrak?

Old 08-13-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Do you not realize that Upstate counties (Westchester, Rockland, etc.) also have commuters like NJ and CT do?

MetroNorth? Amtrak?
rockland county, and westchester are part of our metro. New yorkers for the most part do not even consider yonkers, or the rest of westchester county as upstate.

rockland county some people do mainly because you have to pass by new jersey to get their faster, and like i said most people in nyc do not have the clear knowledge of the fact that our metro spreads farther then just westchester county.

westchester county, rockland county, and dutchess county should not be a part of this topic.

rochester, syracuse, buffalo should be more focused on.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
no your wrong. i am always in new jersey and know plenty of people their. Most new jersey folks i know, and have met will say the city(referring to manhattan which proves my point), and others will tell you that they are going to staten, brooklyn, bronx.

My three years experience of living in NJ has just been invalidated, and apparently is wrong. In fact, you lived that for me.

I went to Kean, bud. Lived in Elizabeth and Somerset.

Gotta love the internet.

There were PLENTY of people I knew that referred to NYC/NY as "New York" and "the city." Much to my surprise actually. Same for Long Island. Upstate is the same.

You have to realize, that New Jersey is another state, so you still have to specify when referring to New York.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
rockland county, and westchester are part of our metro. New yorkers for the most part do not even consider yonkers, or the rest of westchester county as upstate.

rockland county some people do mainly because you have to pass by new jersey to get their faster, and like i said most people in nyc do not have the clear knowledge of the fact that our metro spreads farther then just westchester county.

westchester county, rockland county, and dutchess county should not be a part of this topic.

Another BS comment.

Most New Yorkers think anything north of the Bronx is Upstate.

Westchester is most certainly Upstate NY if you live in NYC.

Come on dude. Ive lived in the city, ive lived Upstate and ive lived in NJ.

Your comments are completely off base.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
My three years experience of living in NJ has just been invalidated, and apparently is wrong. In fact, you lived that for me.

I went to Kean, bud. Lived in Elizabeth and Somerset.

Gotta love the internet.
dont know what your talking about. just labeling my experiences. most jersey folks share their comments. half will say the borough, and the other half will say the city.

i know for a face that jersey folks do not use the term "the city" if their heading to staten island.

the people of perth amboy, and elizabeth would disagree.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:

The OP specifically states, do you associate New York City with CT/NJ or Upstate.

CT, NJ and Upstate are the immediate areas connected to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or