U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: New York City is more associated with:
New Jersey & Connecticut 98 93.33%
Upstate New York 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:20 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,864,293 times
Reputation: 1587

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
My three years experience of living in NJ has just been invalidated, and apparently is wrong. In fact, you lived that for me.

I went to Kean, bud. Lived in Elizabeth and Somerset.

Gotta love the internet.



There were PLENTY of people I knew that referred to NYC/NY as "New York" and "the city." Much to my surprise actually. Same for Long Island. Upstate is the same.


You have to realize, that New Jersey is another state, so you still have to specify when referring to New York.
know one in long island says the city referring to the whole nyc. They say it referring to manhattan only. if a person from li is going to brooklyn he/she will tell you that specifically.

if they are going to queens they will let you know.

as a matter of fact one of my bouncer buddies always refers to going to the bronx when he leaves li. He never says im going to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:22 PM
 
115 posts, read 84,415 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
dont know what your talking about. just labeling my experiences. most jersey folks share their comments. half will say the borough, and the other half will say the city.

i know for a face that jersey folks do not use the term "the city" if their heading to staten island.

the people of perth amboy, and elizabeth would disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
know one in long island says the city referring to the whole nyc. They say it referring to manhattan only. if a person from li is going to brooklyn he/she will tell you that specifically.

if they are going to queens they will let you know.

as a matter of fact one of my bouncer buddies always refers to going to the bronx when he leaves li. He never says im going to the city.

Of course they do, because these are immediate areas!


Why dont you ask someone who lives in Somerset, or Washington, or New Brunswick. Princeton? Old Bridge? etc. etc. etc.


Where does your friend live on LI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,864,293 times
Reputation: 1587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
Another BS comment.

Most New Yorkers think anything north of the Bronx is Upstate.

Westchester is most certainly Upstate NY if you live in NYC.

Come on dude. Ive lived in the city, ive lived Upstate and ive lived in NJ.


Your comments are completely off base.
lmao are you joking right now??? No1 in the bronx calls westchester county upstate.

rockland county and dutchess county are called upstate mainly because people have no clear knowledge that they are within our metro.

never in my life have i heard someone say that im going to upstate in westchester county. My close friend in the north bronx always refers to mount vernon as mount vernon and yonkers as yonkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,864,293 times
Reputation: 1587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
The OP specifically states, do you associate New York City with CT/NJ or Upstate.

CT, NJ and Upstate are the immediate areas connected to NYC.
and he is correct. most people associate new york city with nj and ct.

how man new york license plates in nyc do you think are from upstate? now compare those who are upstate to new jersey and ct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:25 PM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,522,205 times
Reputation: 17606
I live in Union County, New Jersey and have been to upstate New York numerous times, both staying up there and driving through. I have to say that I feel it is in no way similar to New York City and the metro area. The fact that there are transplants from the city upstate means nothing. Where I live, people move from Staten Island and Brooklyn to here all the time but that's not what makes my area similar to NYC. It's because of the more fast-paced lifestyle, the fact that I can hop on a train and be at Penn Station in thirty minutes, and the fact that half my town works in Manhattan or Brooklyn. The tri state area refers to NYC, Long Island, Westchester County, Northern New Jersey, and some of Connecticut. We share the same news channels. I have never seen any New York city or town farther than Westchester County on any NYC news channel. It's just not the same type of lifestyle. Hell, the shore area of New Jersey is more similar to NYC than upstate is just because so many New Yorkers go there in the summer. MTV's 'Jersey Shore' features almost all New Yorkers.

And yes, where I live we refer to Manhattan as "the city", and the other boroughs by their names. Everybody in the metro area truly thinks of upstate and western New York as a completely different area. And be proud of that fact. It's beautiful up there, so much calmer in general and much more scenic than down here. New York is a very diverse state in many ways, but just because NYC is in New York state doesn't mean it's more similar to the upstate region than the immediate areas surrounding the city are (NJ and CT).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,864,293 times
Reputation: 1587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
Of course they do, because these are immediate areas!


Why dont you ask someone who lives in Somerset, or Washington, or New Brunswick. Princeton? Old Bridge? etc. etc. etc.


Where does your friend live on LI?
my friend actually lives in Suffolk county. The only parts of long island where people will say city more often are the born and raised locals of suffolk all the way till the hamptons.

most people in the hamptons are clueless to what nyc is unless they work in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,864,293 times
Reputation: 1587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I live in Union County, New Jersey and have been to upstate New York numerous times, both staying up there and driving through. I have to say that I feel it is in no way similar to New York City and the metro area. The fact that there are transplants from the city upstate means nothing. Where I live, people move from Staten Island and Brooklyn to here all the time but that's not what makes my area similar to NYC. It's because of the more fast-paced lifestyle, the fact that I can hop on a train and be at Penn Station in thirty minutes, and the fact that half my town works in Manhattan or Brooklyn. The tri state area refers to NYC, Long Island, Westchester County, Northern New Jersey, and some of Connecticut. We share the same news channels. I have never seen any New York city or town farther than Westchester County on any NYC news channel. It's just not the same type of lifestyle. Hell, the shore area of New Jersey is more similar to NYC than upstate is just because so many New Yorkers go there in the summer. MTV's 'Jersey Shore' features almost all New Yorkers.

And yes, where I live we refer to Manhattan as "the city", and the other boroughs by their names. Everybody in the metro area truly thinks of upstate and western New York as a completely different area. And be proud of that fact. It's beautiful up there, so much calmer in general and much more scenic than down here. New York is a very diverse state in many ways, but just because NYC is in New York state doesn't mean it's more similar to the upstate region than the immediate areas surrounding the city are (NJ and CT).
EXACTLY. idk where these people are getting this transplant talk from. transplants mean nothing. You also pointed out a great fact about nyc sharing radio stations and tv stations with jersey and ct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:30 PM
 
115 posts, read 84,415 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
lmao are you joking right now??? No1 in the bronx calls westchester county upstate.

rockland county and dutchess county are called upstate mainly because people have no clear knowledge that they are within our metro.

never in my life have i heard someone say that im going to upstate in westchester county. My close friend in the north bronx always refers to mount vernon as mount vernon and yonkers as yonkers.


Westchester is considered Upstate if you live in the city. This is common knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:33 PM
 
115 posts, read 84,415 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
and he is correct. most people associate new york city with nj and ct.

how man new york license plates in nyc do you think are from upstate? now compare those who are upstate to new jersey and ct.


This is impossible to gauge considering Upstate plates arent marked, and there are a ton of people that live in Westchester and commute into the city for work anyway.


You have terrible examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 PM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,522,205 times
Reputation: 17606
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
EXACTLY. idk where these people are getting this transplant talk from. transplants mean nothing. You also pointed out a great fact about nyc sharing radio stations and tv stations with jersey and ct.
Thank you. That was my first post ever on here haha.

I mean, it's like two separate cultures, upstate New York and the NYC metro area. You know you're associated with New York City when all you ever hear is "The beat of New York" or "New York City… Weather!" or "Z100, New York's Hit music station!" throughout the day on the radio. Or when you turn on the news and the anchors are sitting in front of a picture of the skyline, or are broadcasting from your town! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top