U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: New York City is more associated with:
New Jersey & Connecticut 98 93.33%
Upstate New York 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,856,900 times
Reputation: 1583

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
Westchester is considered Upstate if you live in the city. This is common knowledge.
no it isnt. No1 considers wetchester county upstate unless you have never been their in your life.

especially yonkers. wow funny thing is even my cousin in philly refers to yonkers as yonkers haha.

my friends in the north bronx have never said their going upstate which is technically walking distance from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:35 PM
 
12,696 posts, read 10,510,132 times
Reputation: 17587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
This is impossible to gauge considering Upstate plates arent marked, and there are a ton of people that live in Westchester and commute into the city for work anyway.


You have terrible examples.
In my opinion, since Westchester County is part of the NYC metro area and is only right above the Bronx, it's not upstate. I don't consider it to be and don't believe I know anyone who does. When someone from around here thinks of upstate, it's anything above the New York metro region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:38 PM
 
115 posts, read 84,376 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I live in Union County, New Jersey and have been to upstate New York numerous times, both staying up there and driving through. I have to say that I feel it is in no way similar to New York City and the metro area. The fact that there are transplants from the city upstate means nothing. Where I live, people move from Staten Island and Brooklyn to here all the time but that's not what makes my area similar to NYC. It's because of the more fast-paced lifestyle, the fact that I can hop on a train and be at Penn Station in thirty minutes, and the fact that half my town works in Manhattan or Brooklyn. The tri state area refers to NYC, Long Island, Westchester County, Northern New Jersey, and some of Connecticut. We share the same news channels. I have never seen any New York city or town farther than Westchester County on any NYC news channel. It's just not the same type of lifestyle. Hell, the shore area of New Jersey is more similar to NYC than upstate is just because so many New Yorkers go there in the summer. MTV's 'Jersey Shore' features almost all New Yorkers.

And yes, where I live we refer to Manhattan as "the city", and the other boroughs by their names. Everybody in the metro area truly thinks of upstate and western New York as a completely different area. And be proud of that fact. It's beautiful up there, so much calmer in general and much more scenic than down here. New York is a very diverse state in many ways, but just because NYC is in New York state doesn't mean it's more similar to the upstate region than the immediate areas surrounding the city are (NJ and CT).
You live in Union County, good. I was just in Union last week. I went to Kean.

The southern parts of Upstate NY are largely a commuter base just as much as CT and further parts of NJ and into PA. The MetroNorth is NY's version of NJ Transit.


Also, Upstate and Western NY are different in themselves. Albany and Buffalo are 4 hours apart (Thats like comparing Philly and Pittsburgh geographically) Albany and NYC are two.


The extreme southern Upstate region is part of the immediate region of NYC just as much as CT or NJ are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 PM
 
115 posts, read 84,376 times
Reputation: 36
My family in Brooklyn considers anything north of the Bronx as Upstate.

Mad NYC people do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,856,900 times
Reputation: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
You live in Union County, good. I was just in Union last week. I went to Kean.

The southern parts of Upstate NY are largely a commuter base just as much as CT and further parts of NJ and into PA. The MetroNorth is NY's version of NJ Transit.


Also, Upstate and Western NY are different in themselves. Albany and Buffalo are 4 hours apart (Thats like comparing Philly and Pittsburgh geographically) Albany and NYC are two.


The extreme southern Upstate region is part of the immediate region of NYC just as much as CT or NJ are.
everyone in nyc is clear of where the metro north takes you. basically anything above metro north is upstate.

how many trains on the metro north go to buffalo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:44 PM
 
12,696 posts, read 10,510,132 times
Reputation: 17587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
You live in Union County, good. I was just in Union last week. I went to Kean.

The southern parts of Upstate NY are largely a commuter base just as much as CT and further parts of NJ and into PA. The MetroNorth is NY's version of NJ Transit.


Also, Upstate and Western NY are different in themselves. Albany and Buffalo are 4 hours apart. Albany and NYC are two.


The extreme southern Upstate region is part of the immediate region of NYC just as much as CT or NJ are.
A lot of people I know go to/went to Kean. Good school but going through some trouble right now, unfortunately. Hopefully they'll make it through okay.

Anyway, I'm sorry but I will have to respectfully disagree with you. I understand what you're saying, but still think NJ and CT, NJ especially, are much more connected to NYC than anywhere else, maybe even Long Island. People jokingly call North Jersey the 6th borough! In the areas where you can see Manhattan from Hudson County (Hoboken, Jersey City, Bayonne, Fort Lee), there's almost no difference culture wise. You just won't find that type of deep similarity in upstate New York. And I admit, Bergen and Hudson Counties are much more connected to NYC than Union County is, or Somerset County, or Morris County, but still. This whole area just screams New York City. The amount of NY plates I see in my Union County town are ridiculous! And I don't live in one of the cities of my county like Elizabeth, Roselle, or Linden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:44 PM
 
115 posts, read 84,376 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Thank you. That was my first post ever on here haha.

I mean, it's like two separate cultures, upstate New York and the NYC metro area. You know you're associated with New York City when all you ever hear is "The beat of New York" or "New York City… Weather!" or "Z100, New York's Hit music station!" throughout the day on the radio. Or when you turn on the news and the anchors are sitting in front of a picture of the skyline, or are broadcasting from your town! LOL
Z100 is as far up as Poughkeepsie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:45 PM
 
115 posts, read 84,376 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
A lot of people I know go to/went to Kean. Good school but going through some trouble right now, unfortunately. Hopefully they'll make it through okay.

Anyway, I'm sorry but I will have to respectfully disagree with you. I understand what you're saying, but still think NJ and CT, NJ especially, are much more connected to NYC than anywhere else, maybe even Long Island. People jokingly call North Jersey the 6th borough! In the areas where you can see Manhattan from Hudson County (Hoboken, Jersey City, Bayonne, Fort Lee), there's almost no difference culture wise. You just won't find that type of deep similarity in upstate New York. And I admit, Bergen and Hudson Counties are much more connected to NYC than Union County is, or Somerset County, or Morris County, but still. This whole area just screams New York City. The amount of NY plates I see in my Union County town are ridiculous! And I don't live in one of the cities of my county like Elizabeth, Roselle, or Linden.
The 6th boro to me was always Yonkers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borough..._sixth_borough

This is really a difference in what is Upstate and what isnt. Upstate is anything north of the Bronx. Thats how I see it.

The OP's question specifically refers to NYC. The city. Not metro. So I see North Jersey and parts of CT lumped with Westchester and Rockland as the immediate areas in question.




Now, if we are talking metro NY...

If Westchester doesnt count, why does CT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,856,900 times
Reputation: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
Z100 is as far up as Poughkeepsie.
omg lmaooo. dude poughkeepsie is part of our metro

why are you having difficulties understanding this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:51 PM
 
115 posts, read 84,376 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
omg lmaooo. dude poughkeepsie is part of our metro

why are you having difficulties understanding this?

Hahahahahahaha. A radio station isnt the reason why....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top