Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City is more associated with:
New Jersey & Connecticut 98 93.33%
Upstate New York 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 11:52 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
The 6th boro to me was always Yonkers.

Borough (New York City) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is really a difference in what is Upstate and what isnt. Upstate is anything north of the Bronx. Thats how I see it.

The OP's question specifically refers to NYC. The city. Not metro.
I know it refers to NYC. And I still think that North/Northeastern Jersey is more similar. Honestly, I don't think CT really is all that similar and only a small portion of the state associates with NYC compared to half of NJ. Like I said in another post on this thread, Jersey City and Hoboken are so connected the Manhattan. And Middlesex county is to Staten Island. And Union County is to Brooklyn because so many people that live here are originally from Brooklyn or own businesses/work in Brooklyn. I just don't think it's the same type of similarity anywhere else. I mean, Northern New Jersey is right across the river. How much more influence and association can you have?

New York State is so big. There are many big cities upstate and west and NJ doesn't have that. Yeah, we have Newark and Camden, but NYC (or Philly for Camden) overshadows those cities, always have and always will. NJ doesn't have its own major city, really. New York for the north and Philly for the extreme south are our cities. I mean, the Jets and Giants both play here. As do the New York Red Bulls soccer team. NY state has many cities that are considered to be major. Someone in Buffalo or Syracuse wouldn't call NYC "the city" unless they were originally from the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 11:54 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,398,459 times
Quote:
Hahahahahahaha. A radio station isnt the reason why....
um no it isn't but poughpeeksie is part of metro. look it up.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:55 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
The 6th boro to me was always Yonkers.

Borough (New York City) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is really a difference in what is Upstate and what isnt. Upstate is anything north of the Bronx. Thats how I see it.

The OP's question specifically refers to NYC. The city. Not metro. So I see North Jersey and parts of CT lumped with Westchester and Rockland as the immediate areas in question.

Now, if we are talking metro NY...

If Westchester doesnt count, why does CT?
Westchester DOES count. At least I think it does. Again, I don't consider Westchester to be upstate. It's so far south. And CT really shouldn't count. There's only, what, 3 counties in CT that's part of the metro area? That people actually commute from daily? NJ has like 8 counties that people commute to work in the city from daily. NYC's right across the river. NJ co-owns (if you will) the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. We own (again, 'own' for lack of better term. Control?) half the Hudson River and the New York Bay. We associate so much with NYC and vice versa.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:58 PM

115 posts, read 118,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I know it refers to NYC. And I still think that North/Northeastern Jersey is more similar. Honestly, I don't think CT really is all that similar and only a small portion of the state associates with NYC compared to half of NJ. Like I said in another post on this thread, Jersey City and Hoboken are so connected the Manhattan. And Middlesex county is to Staten Island. And Union County is to Brooklyn because so many people that live here are originally from Brooklyn or own businesses/work in Brooklyn. I just don't think it's the same type of similarity anywhere else. I mean, Northern New Jersey is right across the river. How much more influence and association can you have?

New York State is so big. There are many big cities upstate and west and NJ doesn't have that. Yeah, we have Newark and Camden, but NYC (or Philly for Camden) overshadows those cities, always have and always will. NJ doesn't have its own major city, really. New York for the north and Philly for the extreme south are our cities. I mean, the Jets and Giants both play here. As do the New York Red Bulls soccer team. NY state has many cities that are considered to be major. Someone in Buffalo or Syracuse wouldn't call NYC "the city" unless they were originally from the area.
Culturally speaking, North Jersey, southern Upstate NY counties, and CT are all the same.

How could immediate areas of NJ and CT be more NYC than Upstate counties NYC is actually connected to?

CT is more associated with NYC than Westchester? Theyre basically the same plot of land with an imaginary boundary.

and Westchester is considered Upstate by many. Which is why im debating the definition of Upstate here.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:59 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
i thought west coast people argued that new jersey was an "entire" state away...

good to see people got a clue

Old 08-13-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
um no it isn't but poughpeeksie is part of metro. look it up.

Its part of the CSA technically, which is a different designated region.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Its part of the CSA technically, which is a different designated region.
could care less but its still something something to nyc.

now is buffalo a csa or msa?

Old 08-14-2012, 12:02 AM

It makes no sense here to not count Westchester, Rockland, etc. but count CT and NJ.

Theyre all part of the immediate region, and as such, thats the assocation that should be debated.

The OP specifically says NYC, and the correct answer is all 3 areas.

There are Upstate counties part of the NY metro, which is my sticking point here.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:03 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
Quote:
Culturally speaking, North Jersey, southern Upstate NY counties, and CT are all the same.

How could immediate areas of NJ and CT be more NYC than Upstate counties NYC is actually connected to?

CT is more associated with NYC than Westchester? Westchester is considered Upstate by many.

CT hates NJ, NJ hates LI, LI thinks they're the center of the universe

Westchester thinks they're Manhattan

life is hierarchy event if its not true

Old 08-14-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
It makes no sense here to not count Westchester, Rockland, etc. but count CT and NJ.

Theyre all part of the immediate region, and as such, thats the assocation that should be debated.

The OP specifically says NYC, and the correct answer is all 3 areas.
westchester, rockland, do not count. maybe the op forgot to label that.

But us new yorkers dont refer to westchester county as upstate.

as a matter of fact i have speaking difficulties when i say westchester and upstate in the same sentence.

Its in our genes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.