Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City is more associated with:
New Jersey & Connecticut 98 93.33%
Upstate New York 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
You presumed Buffalo and Rochester are Upstate, so thats kind of proof that you really dont know NYS geography. Which is why you also dont know where Upstate is.

Theres Western, Upstate, Downstate, etc. just like theres North, Central and South Jersey.

What if someone told you Trenton was South Jersey?
Haha, actually, to be honest, there's big debate over the boundaries of NJ and whether or not a central Jersey even exists. NJ's too small to be divided into 3 regions, IMO. Some people claim Union County is Central Jersey. Really? It's 20 miles from NYC and it's central? I would consider Middlesex and Mercer counties to be central, but also could southern. Some people just say anything north of the Driscoll Bridge on the parkway (in Middlesex county) is North Jersey, and anything south of it is South Jersey. It's hard to say to be completely honest. I'm not even trying to be difficult here.

And no, I really don't know much about NYS geography. All I need to know is that anything above the metro area is basically irrelevant to my life because it is not my area. And people from around here generally agree with that sentiment. We feel that anything above the metro area is a different world. And I've been there. It is a different world; beautiful, but very very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 08:23 PM

115 posts, read 118,337 times
Do you really think people associate NYC more with NJ and CT than Westchester?

This entire thing is retarded. The NY Metro has all three within it.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Haha, actually, to be honest, there's big debate over the boundaries of NJ and whether or not a central Jersey even exists. NJ's too small to be divided into 3 regions, IMO. Some people claim Union County is Central Jersey. Really? It's 20 miles from NYC and it's central? I would consider Middlesex and Mercer counties to be central, but also could southern. Some people just say anything north of the Driscoll Bridge on the parkway (in Middlesex county) is North Jersey, and anything south of it is South Jersey. It's hard to say to be completely honest. I'm not even trying to be difficult here.

And no, I really don't know much about NYS geography. All I need to know is that anything above the metro area is basically irrelevant to my life because it is not my area. And people from around here generally agree with that sentiment. We feel that anything above the metro area is a different world. And I've been there. It is a different world; beautiful, but very very different.

Ive been all over the Northeast a million times, and to me, its very similar actually. The provincial nature of this region is hilarious, especially to outsiders.

South Jersey and Upstate NY areas look the same to me. PA and New England included. Its all the same geography.

IMO, Utah is a different world to me, not rural Jersey or NY, or PA in comparison to NYC.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:29 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Thats not being debated. Even then, ive never seen someone from NJ so adamant about a city that isnt even their own. Same with Philly. New Jersey's always had that identity crisis though. The North/South bickering at Kean was always annoying. Ironically, you are named "JerseyGirl."

Have you ever lived in the city? I have. I have family there. I have many friends there. I know many NYers. The general idea within that circle I know is that Westchester is Upstate.

"Nobody goes Upstate!" (ie: Westchester)

and stressing the OP for like the 8th time, they said "New York City" meaning city, not metro. So why would Westchester and other Upstate counties be omitted? They shouldnt be. Its right in line with NJ and CT. Which is why someone earlier said "All three."
Please don't start attacking me. It's completely unnecessary. It IS my city. It's the major city near me. I can be there in a half hour. NJ doesn't have its own cities that are that major and I have said that and I'm okay with that. I would rather have NYC, it's a great place and I am so blessed to have grown up so close to it to go whenever I wanted. But it is not my life. I have a life outside of NYC. I LOVE the Jersey Shore. It makes me so proud of NJ. People from NY and PA come to the Jersey shore, as well as people from Ontario and CT etc. I love the beaches of NJ as much as I love the city, possibly more.

And yes. I have lived in the city. I also have family there and many friends of ours are from there, as well. This isn't a race about who knows more NYers. I don't care. The circle that I know doesn't consider Westchester to be upstate. It's all relative.

It's a generally agreed fact that north NJ is very similar to NYC. I'm not the only one who defends that. People from the city will agree. This isn't an upstate debate. It's a question on what region is more associated with the city. 55 people agree with me, 3 agree with you. End of story. This is turning into something I honestly don't care about. The regions of NY state don't affect my life, so I'm not addressing it anymore because I've proven my point multiple times.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 PM

Western NYers are pretty hellbent on not being included in the Upstate NY sub-region thing.

You wouldnt think Albany, Utica and Syracuse people would be debating with Rochester and Buffalo people at SUNY schools, but they do. Then you add NYC and LI into it.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Please don't start attacking me. It's completely unnecessary. It IS my city. It's the major city near me. I can be there in a half hour. NJ doesn't have its own cities that are that major and I have said that and I'm okay with that. I would rather have NYC, it's a great place and I am so blessed to have grown up so close to it to go whenever I wanted. But it is not my life. I have a life outside of NYC. I LOVE the Jersey Shore. It makes me so proud of NJ. People from NY and PA come to the Jersey shore, as well as people from Ontario and CT etc. I love the beaches of NJ as much as I love the city, possibly more.

And yes. I have lived in the city. I also have family there and many friends of ours are from there, as well. This isn't a race about who knows more NYers. I don't care. The circle that I know doesn't consider Westchester to be upstate. It's all relative.

It's a generally agreed fact that north NJ is very similar to NYC. I'm not the only one who defends that. People from the city will agree. This isn't an upstate debate. It's a question on what region is more associated with the city. 55 people agree with me, 3 agree with you. End of story. This is turning into something I honestly don't care about. The regions of NY state don't affect my life, so I'm not addressing it anymore because I've proven my point multiple times.
Thats my point.

I didnt vote because theres no option for all three, so how would they be disagreeing with me?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:56 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
Western NYers are pretty hellbent on not being included in the Upstate NY sub-region thing.
No .... No they're not

I know your whole semester at Brockport makes you an authority in your own mind, it's just not true ..... Not even close

Old 08-14-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
No .... No they're not

I know your whole semester at Brockport makes you an authority in your own mind, it's just not true ..... Not even close

Oh, well then, you get facebook groups like these, huh..

Buffalo is WESTERN New York, NOT UPSTATE : The Profile Engine

Yeah, no truth to what I said.

Have some more wine.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:01 PM

In fact, most Western NYers supported seceding from the state, but only their region. Just as downstate wanted their own.

Essentially, 3 different parts.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
I agree with you, and I think the problem is with op not knowing what Upstate really is. Buffalo is not upstate new york its western new york. There are many reasonable arguments for western ny being more midwestern than east coast; but I have never, ever in my life heard anyone call albany or syracuse "middle america."

I guess we're lying, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.