Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City is more associated with:
New Jersey & Connecticut 98 93.33%
Upstate New York 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
exactly - not sure why this is so complicated for some......... and every subregion refers to themselves by that subregion .... nothing really unique there either

here is a link to the elmira/corning "your southern tier news"
Southern Tier - Elmira/Corning - YNN, Your News Now

i guess that means they aren't upstate NY either......................

dopey and really not worth going any further with

What's dopey is that that other poster thinks the Hudson Valley isn't Upstate. You can go back and find the post somewheres. He posted something that a person said/quoted that the area really isn't upstate. Why post something so rediculous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 10:43 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post
You are correct my friend I am from Buffalo, and we(along with Rochester) refer to our area as "Western". NOT upstate. It's not just us either, the press and media refer to us as WNY as well. Here is a perfect example.

Body pulled from western New York creek - New York News | New York Breaking News | NYC Headlines

Oh look, here is another from Wall Street Journal.

5 charged with robbing farm workers in western NY - WSJ.com
You're upstate.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobCam View Post
Yes, because the person living in Connecticut knows more about aggie75's own state than they do.

Gotta love the internet.
This person living in Connecticut lives in the tri-state region in question.

Here in CT, when someone says "upstate", it means New York. We're so small that we don't have an "upstate". You never hear anyone say "I'm headed to western NY". We would consider that Orange or Rockland County, and that would be accompanied by a strange look.

Anyway, to tri-staters, Buffalo is upstate. Way upstate.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:21 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
It's SoCal for sure

Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
OMG... this again?

People... "Upstate" is anything that is not "Downstate." Where the line between them is, is a big debate. But the idea that Buffalo is not "Upstate" is just crazy. Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, the Adirondacks... it's ALL Upstate.

Buffalonians like to put on airs by pretending that "Western NY" and "Upstate" are two different things, which I really don't get. Western New York is a subregion of Upstate New York. Pretty simple.

Now, I agree that Western New York is (heh) "different" but that's mainly because of the way they call soda "pop" and their silly habit of putting "the" in front of highway route numbers. ("Take the 90...")

Old 08-16-2012, 06:57 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
What's dopey is that that other poster thinks the Hudson Valley isn't Upstate. You can go back and find the post somewheres. He posted something that a person said/quoted that the area really isn't upstate. Why post something so rediculous?
Not true and you can read that post again. It says that some may not consider the Hudson Valley to be Upstate NY. Again, there is a difference. Some may think that due to the fact that much of the media that serves that area of the state comes from NYC.

Also, check this out from the Upstate/Downstate HS Football game: Upstate/Downstate Football Classic Rosters

You notice some of the schools that some of the Downstate players come from? Valley Central, Monroe-Woodbury, Cornwall, Wallkill, Poughkeepsie, etc. Those schools are in or are very close to the Hudson Valley. So, I stand by my statement, as there are some that consider the Hudson Valley or much of it to be Downstate NY. Just the messenger....

Old 08-16-2012, 09:32 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
New York City is the largest city in the United States - with over 8.2 million people in its city limits. However, NYC's metro area is much larger than even that and includes major portions of New Jersey and Connecticut as well as downstate New York. By contrast, upstate New York has a vastly greater land area with a number of cities and towns which are much smaller than NYC and is also mainly rural, mountainous, filled with forests and many lakes.

So, given this, which do you associate more with NYC: NJ & CT or upstate New York?
I'll be the most surprised person on the continent if it should turn out that you're from New York City. And that's because New York City isn't--I mean, is NEVER--associated with New Jersey or Connecticut. If anything, it's the other way around.

(As to upstate New York, people in cities like Buffalo, Rochester, Utica and Albany might not feel quite so rural as all that).

Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'll be the most surprised person on the continent if it should turn out that you're from New York City. And that's because New York City isn't--I mean, is NEVER--associated with New Jersey or Connecticut. If anything, it's the other way around.

(As to upstate New York, people in cities like Buffalo, Rochester, Utica and Albany might not feel quite so rural as all that).
100% correct, and I think the original post is worded wrong. It should read "which area is more closely associated with NYC - NJ & CT or upstate NY?"

And in that case, it's clearly NJ & CT. That's primarily what the debate has been about for the past 20 pages.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:21 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
I'm from the Bronx and I don't consider Westchester County and Yonkers upstate. It's literally 7 minutes away on the major Deegan. Also, in Cross County mall (Westchester county), the vast mayority of people are from the boogie.

We associate more with NJ and CT. To me, Upstate NY is a whole different world. It might as well belong to a different state.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:03 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I'm from the Bronx and I don't consider Westchester County and Yonkers upstate. It's literally 7 minutes away on the major Deegan. Also, in Cross County mall (Westchester county), the vast mayority of people are from the boogie.

We associate more with NJ and CT. To me, Upstate NY is a whole different world. It might as well belong to a different state.
thank you. my friend from the north bronx always refers to mt vernon as mt vernon. Never upstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.