U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 04:13 PM

145 posts, read 251,835 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow members. I am planning a fresh start in life, and have been saving every penny I can to put towards my new life. So far I have just shy of $5,000. I plan on having $13,000 when I leave.
So here is the question? How much (minimum) is enough to start life over and lay new roots? I know a lot has to do with location, so I will give all of you 5 "tiers". Some of these are options, while some are not. I will try to start with a low COL city and move up from there. Obviously since each tier will have a higher COL, you should plan accordingly.
Remember... You are single and will be moving with no apartment, no job, and no vehicle. So in other words, you're basically screwed. LOL. Nah, actually you really are starting from complete scratch. So you may need to put that condo on hold for a bit and live somewhere a bit more affordable until you get something stable. There are plenty of nice and safe areas to live in each of these cities that are considered "low" for the city. For example, I have found places in Cleveland for as low as $500/month. It may not be all you want, but it's a place to call home until you can get something better. The goal is to never have to return back to your old life, so every penny you save counts.

Tier 1: Cleveland, OH $8,000*

Tier 2: Minneapolis, MN $10,000*

Tier 3: Philadelphia, PA $12,000

Tier 4: Miami, FL $16,000*

Tier 5: New York City, NY $24,000

*A vehicle should be budgeted for.
The amount in Red is the minimum amount that I'm thinking of having for each city. These numbers also reflect a $3,000 vehicle budget (if needed). Do you feel these numbers are pretty well on target, or would you budget a bit more or less? Remember, these are the bare minimum amounts that you would feel comfortable up and leaving with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 06:41 PM

21,823 posts, read 22,738,192 times
your numbers look very accurate but consider taking your entire bank roll to the horse track and bet it on a "sure thing" and you'll be able to move up to the next higher level city.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:57 PM

14,715 posts, read 16,718,307 times
I would be astounded if most people moving to NYC had anywhere near that much. When I moved to Seattle, I had $3000 saved. I rented a room in a distant suburbs for $400 a month from a friend of a friend. I lined up temp work through a staffing agency before going out, but it was intermittent. How long would it take to land a job making enough to survive? It would not take me long, not that the cash would be flowing in but I could make enough to cover the rent in some places. In others, I would have to apply for a license which is typically given one or two times a year plus waiting for results takes two months. I have licenses in CA, WA, NV, and Oregon does not require them. I have connections in WA and NV. I could move there and be working within a month. I would not be raking in the cash, you basically get the bottom of the barrel jobs where you drive two hours each way to make $200 dealing with cranky clients and you only get a few of those a week... but you can survive off that.

Seattle: First, last, deposit and the next month for rent - $4000, room for half of that.
Ikea furniture: Mattress ($200), desk and chair ($100-300, I work from home I would spend $300), get the other stuff later.
The cheapest way of moving is by car if you will be keeping it. Take whatever you can fit, there is no reason to needlessly throw away things and what you need is very minimal and will fit in even a small car (aside from desk/bed). When I moved to Europe and then Korea I did it with a suitcase and carry-ons. I took my knives, laptop, portable printer, clothes, cameras, and not much else. With a whole car you could bring your kitchen essentials, bedding, more clothes, etc.
Enough to cover two months of expenses: food ($400), gas/bus money ($600, the two hour one way drives), utilities and misc. $1,000.

So $4500 to $7500 depending if you are okay renting a room. The big difference between any of the locations will be rent. You can find studios in Harlem for <$1500 a month. The problem is being able to rent it with income requirements and guarantors. Assuming you have that or find one that doesn't, it would not cost all that much more. At $1000 more than Cleveland, you have three months paid for by not needing a car.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:37 PM

167 posts, read 299,831 times
forget about those 5
just go to Texas

Old 07-28-2012, 08:13 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,679,591 times
I moved from Australia to the U.S. with about $10,000 (to St. Louis) and two suitcases. It was a perfectly fine amount to begin with. I got a basic car (paid cash outright- I'm anti-debt), deposit and first months rent on an apartment, a couple of pieces of furniture / household items to get set up with etc.

However- I did have a job already lined up. I wouldn't have moved if I hadn't.

Saving up and starting from scratch is totally possible because I did it. But base your move on where the best job opportunities for you are at- or start searching once you have enough saved to secure a position before you move.

Once all that's said and done... it's easy

Old 05-06-2014, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 31,971 times
I want more than anything to move somewhere and start over fresh....I cannot stand my life anymore. Unfortunately I am stuck in an abusive, controlling marriage and I lack the money to start fresh. I do own my own car in my name so I guess that's a plus. I envy all of you that were able to follow your dreams!

Old 05-07-2014, 04:24 PM

98 posts, read 162,915 times
Cleveland is just a little too low. You can get a decent apartment for $500/mo. but you are going to need a car and $3K probably doesn't really cut it. Plus, taxes in Cleveland are pretty high and you are going to have some kind of utility bill and probably phone bill. You will also need to furnish that apartment and that includes things like sheets, towels, dishes, pots & pans, etc. $10 to $11K is more realistic.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:35 PM

5,628 posts, read 3,412,560 times
Good luck OP.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:52 PM

5,628 posts, read 3,412,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
your numbers look very accurate but consider taking your entire bank roll to the horse track and bet it on a "sure thing" and you'll be able to move up to the next higher level city.
haha, this cracks me up

Old 06-23-2014, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 31,455 times
If I go to Arizona with 25,000 and a car without a job do you think I can make it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.