Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:46 PM

3,068 posts, read 7,982,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I've always heard certain northern & western cities attracted black people from specific states, ie. Mississippians to Detroit, Alabamans to Chicago, Louisianans to Oakland, Texans to L.A. Not sure how much truth there is to it...
Many Louisiana black people esp from N and W La migrated to Oakland and some went to LA. Not quite so many to the midwest and very few toward the NE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 03:18 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,383,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Many black people in the Baltimore area came from NC during the great migration
Because Baltimore was one of the first few southern cities to accept equality(integration) among Blacks and Whites........

A lot of Black people from the Carolinas migrated to Atlanta, Miami, and Houston during that same period too.........

Old 08-03-2012, 03:46 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,002,394 times
Quote:
I've always heard certain northern & western cities attracted black people from specific states, ie. Mississippians to Detroit, Alabamans to Chicago, Louisianans to Oakland, Texans to L.A. Not sure how much truth there is to it...
There's a lot of truth to that, actually.4

You see, most people took the train out of the South, and they purchased the cheapest tickets available. Since the cheapest routes were the straight shots, blacks had a tendency to move directly north (Mississippi to Chicago, Carolinas to NYC, Georgia to Detroit, etc) or directly west (Texas to California, etc).

Old 08-03-2012, 05:29 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,328,535 times
Quote:
You got these two mixed up. Mississippians went to Chicago and St. Louis and Alabamans went to Detroit, and Ohio. The Carolinas, Georgia, and VA went north to NYC, Philly, and Boston. Texas and Louisiana just went to California. Never heard about the breakdown of Texans to LA and Louisianans to Oakland till now. But it was mostly a straight directional shot.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:16 AM

55 posts, read 58,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I don't know, but you have to consider that in 1790 slaves all lived in the east coast states. After the invention of the cotton gin made cotton more profitable, In the 1830s-40s more slaves were moved westward to the Mississippi Valley region.

Are you interested in African-American history? I am somewhat of an authority on the subject. I recently read, and would highly recommend this book about the "great migration" - your local library may have it. The Warmth of Other Suns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you Slowlane3 for recommending book The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson. I am currently reading it and it is so interesting.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Many Louisiana black people esp from N and W La migrated to Oakland and some went to LA. Not quite so many to the midwest and very few toward the NE.
Ehhh. Some did go to Chicago as well. But yeah, most headed west.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:19 PM

14,636 posts, read 14,505,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You got these two mixed up. Mississippians went to Chicago and St. Louis and Alabamans went to Detroit, and Ohio. The Carolinas, Georgia, and VA went north to NYC, Philly, and Boston. Texas and Louisiana just went to California. Never heard about the breakdown of Texans to LA and Louisianans to Oakland till now. But it was mostly a straight directional shot.
Thanks for the correction; the majority of AA Oaklanders do have Louisiana roots, though of course other parts of the South as well. Walter Mosley refers to the Texas-to-LA migration often in his books.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:50 AM

737 posts, read 1,646,555 times
Both my mothers and fathers side of the family moved up to NYC, Philly, DC, Pittsburgh, and Boston from South Carolina during the Great Migration.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:01 AM

374 posts, read 808,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRAZORHOG View Post
My family in Arkansas and Mississippi stayed down south. Only one aunt, one uncle and a cousin migrated north. Jim crow was the same in the upper south and deep south. I was born in Little Rock Arkansas in 1971 and my parents were classified as colored on my birth certificate. They were treated no different than my family elders in natchez Mississippi.
I was born in Little Rock, too. I don't think there is much difference in that area from Mississippi either; it's probably still part of the Deep South. Definitely not in the same category as Maryland or Kentucky. Maryland never had a governor like Orville Faubus.....

Old 08-07-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the correction; the majority of AA Oaklanders do have Louisiana roots, though of course other parts of the South as well. Walter Mosley refers to the Texas-to-LA migration often in his books.
Very interesting. I did not realize or know that about AA's in California. Of course they came from other Southern states. But the bulk did come from Texas and Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.