U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:28 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,077,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
There's a lot of truth to that, actually.4

You see, most people took the train out of the South, and they purchased the cheapest tickets available. Since the cheapest routes were the straight shots, blacks had a tendency to move directly north (Mississippi to Chicago, Carolinas to NYC, Georgia to Detroit, etc) or directly west (Texas to California, etc).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You got these two mixed up. Mississippians went to Chicago and St. Louis and Alabamans went to Detroit, and Ohio. The Carolinas, Georgia, and VA went north to NYC, Philly, and Boston. Texas and Louisiana just went to California. Never heard about the breakdown of Texans to LA and Louisianans to Oakland till now. But it was mostly a straight directional shot.
Interesting. I never thought about it but sure enough my great uncle moved from Georgia to Pittsburgh which is indeed a straight give or take. I apparently have family in Detroit another straight shot. I'm doing geneology stuff lately and apparently I have one distant cousin that high tailed it to Pueblo, CO and eventually Alaska in 1900.

Going back to the OP. I honestly don't know. I'm a Georgia native and sure enough the few slave records I could find show that my family has been the same part of Georgia/Alabama for at least 150 years. However, I did find one slave record indicating that many family members were born in Virginia. Alexandria, VA was a big slave port. Although I think Charleston was bigger. There are more black people in general numbers in the deep south versus upper south so I would venture that the deep south has more descendants. The deep south was more agricultural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 03:50 PM

29,893 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Thanks for the correction; the majority of AA Oaklanders do have Louisiana roots, though of course other parts of the South as well. Walter Mosley refers to the Texas-to-LA migration often in his books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Very interesting. I did not realize or know that about AA's in California. Of course they came from other Southern states. But the bulk did come from Texas and Louisiana.
Some went to Arkansas as well. The migration to California was part of the Second Great Migration which occurred from roughly 1940-1970.

I forget which article this is associated with, but this graphic shows the Southern states that Black migrants from the North and West moved (back) to in the late 20th century and it roughly corresponds to the migration patterns present earlier in the century:

Old 08-10-2012, 11:42 AM

18,637 posts, read 27,047,623 times
I found a very interesting map. I mean very interesting.

Black Americans in the 1920s: Search for New Values

Old 08-10-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Some went to Arkansas as well. The migration to California was part of the Second Great Migration which occurred from roughly 1940-1970.

I forget which article this is associated with, but this graphic shows the Southern states that Black migrants from the North and West moved (back) to in the late 20th century and it roughly corresponds to the migration patterns present earlier in the century:
Yes I posted that a few years ago on a similar thread to this.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:16 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,745,404 times
You can find that map and more on this website.

http://www.inmotionaame.org/migrations/index.cfm

Old 08-12-2012, 09:40 PM

462 posts, read 582,469 times
The Deep South and Tidewater were heavy slave areas, growing tobacco and cotton. They were both settled by disinherited members of English aristocracy after the English Civil War, with the Deep South planters coming by way of Barbados. They carried on a landlord system similar to medieval serfdom, which evolved into American slavery. The "Upper" South is was mostly settled Scots-Irish frontiersmen spreading westward from Appalachia. That's where the culture comes from. They adopted slavery later (as did the Cherokees), but never to the level the planters in the lowlands did. But as far as I know most black people with European surnames had some ancestor or another in slavery or indentured servitude. Louisiana is the only other major Southern group. It's easier to tell who had ancestors out of that area, since surnames are French.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:23 PM

108 posts, read 207,723 times
Texas, Louisiana, parts of Arkansas and parts of Mississippi <<<<<<<<<<<<California

Mississippi, parts of Arkansas, and the Mississippi Delta part of Louisiana<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Chicago, Wisconsin, and Northern Indiana

Alabama, parts of Georgia<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Detroit, Cleveland, Western New York, and Western Pennsylvania

Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<New Jersey, Philadelphia, NYC,...etc.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:38 AM

56,539 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexas1 View Post
Texas, Louisiana, parts of Arkansas and parts of Mississippi <<<<<<<<<<<<California

Mississippi, parts of Arkansas, and the Mississippi Delta part of Louisiana<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Chicago, Wisconsin, and Northern Indiana

Alabama, parts of Georgia<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Detroit, Cleveland, Western New York, and Western Pennsylvania

Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<New Jersey, Philadelphia, NYC,...etc.
I'd even add western Tennessee to those that went West and to places directly north in the Midwest.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:25 AM

Some of Texas went North too. Many Kansas City Blacks I've read came from Texas.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:10 PM

29,893 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexas1 View Post
And Florida and Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or