Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,256 times

Advertisements

Two Questions

Are most blacks in the US descendant from slaves in Upper South or Virginia= (Maryland, Kentucky, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky)

or

The Deep South or South Carolina= (Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana,Florida).

In 1790 it was estimated that 75% blacks live in two of the 13 colonies, One is Virginia which represents the upper south and the other one is South Carolina which represent the deep south.

The other question have is the Great migration of blacks to the North

I keep hearing how a lot AA from the deep south migrated to the North, I wonder did that happen in Upper South, because I notice a lot of decrease from blacks population in upper south and deep south.

Are AA population in the Midwest represents blacks from Upper South as much as the Deep South
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 06:32 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Good question. I'd say Deep South, specifically Charleston as it was the biggest port of entry for slaves during the slave trade. I believe like three out of every four slaves that were captured and sold into slavery came through Charleston.

Blacks from the Upper South migrated to the North during the Great Migration, but it was definitely more from the Deep South since they had a larger Black population to begin with.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:09 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
I don't know, but you have to consider that in 1790 slaves all lived in the east coast states. After the invention of the cotton gin made cotton more profitable, In the 1830s-40s more slaves were moved westward to the Mississippi Valley region.

Are you interested in African-American history? I am somewhat of an authority on the subject. I recently read, and would highly recommend this book about the "great migration" - your local library may have it. The Warmth of Other Suns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-28-2012, 09:32 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Many black people in the Baltimore area came from NC during the great migration

Old 07-29-2012, 11:34 AM

38 posts, read 91,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucecliff View Post

I keep hearing how a lot AA from the deep south migrated to the North, I wonder did that happen in Upper South, because I notice a lot of decrease from blacks population in upper south and deep south.
My family in Arkansas and Mississippi stayed down south. Only one aunt, one uncle and a cousin migrated north. Jim crow was the same in the upper south and deep south. I was born in Little Rock Arkansas in 1971 and my parents were classified as colored on my birth certificate. They were treated no different than my family elders in natchez Mississippi.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:50 AM

23,442 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I don't know, but you have to consider that in 1790 slaves all lived in the east coast states. After the invention of the cotton gin made cotton more profitable, In the 1830s-40s more slaves were moved westward to the Mississippi Valley region.

Are you interested in African-American history? I am somewhat of an authority on the subject. I recently read, and would highly recommend this book about the "great migration" - your local library may have it. The Warmth of Other Suns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
True that from the 1850s the largest concentration of blacks was for a long time in the lower Mississippi Valley. The general path of migration for them was upriver to industrialized cities ie St Louis, Chicago and Detroit.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:42 PM

581 posts, read 968,593 times
Many African-Americans in Baltimore came during the great migration, also many whites in Baltimore came from NC as well to work in industry. Most African-Americans in southern Maryland and the eastern shore, including most in PG County, are descendents of the local slaves and native peoples.

Blacks migrated to Baltimore for factory jobs like whites did - Maryland had Jim Crow and segregation so there would be no equality there.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:18 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
All of my family moved to NYC from South Carolina. A majority came back in the past 30 years

Old 07-29-2012, 07:00 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
I've always heard certain northern & western cities attracted black people from specific states, ie. Mississippians to Detroit, Alabamans to Chicago, Louisianans to Oakland, Texans to L.A. Not sure how much truth there is to it...

Old 07-29-2012, 07:37 PM

93,169 posts, read 123,783,345 times
My father is from the Mississippi Delta and my mother is from the Pee Dee region of SC. Pretty much the majority of both sides of the family went North and to the Syracuse area in particular. On my other's side, some went to NJ, NYC and Philadelphia, among others. On my dad's side, some went to Detroit, Chicago and St. Louis. Some have come back South to NC, SC and VA, among others, but many are still up here. on my dad's side, I've had family up here since the 1920's or so and on my mother's side since the early 1960's. Interestingly, from the end of WW2 to about 1970, the Syracuse area had one of the highest rates of Black migration from the South in the US. Here's some interesting information: 2011 « Black Syracuse

Our Stories | Black History Preservation Project | Syracuse South-Side Initiative

PBS - JAZZ A Film By Ken Burns: Places Spaces & Changing Faces - Black Migration

Up South : stories, studies, and letters of African American migrations (Book, 1994) [WorldCat.org] (Good book)

Fresh Air Interview: Journalist Isabel Wilkerson - Exploring The Great African-American Migration : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.