U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:56 AM

15 posts, read 16,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Ashland, Oregon might be a good fit. It doesn't rain as much as in Portland though the summers can get hot.
Thank you for this suggestion. Actually I've been thinking a lot about Oregon. Ashland has only 20.000 inhabitants. How is there with the job opportunities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 10:10 AM

BitofEndearment,

Thanks a lot for such a detailed reply!
What is the situation with the crime and ecology in these cities?

plates, glamatomic

I'm not afraid of high temperatures and humidity. But it depends how high. For example, in Nicosia (where I live at the moment), during the summer the temperature and humidity are extremely high. You will not get rain, even clouds are rare. This night 98% is expected. During the day, such imagination, the air is burning.

Is summer in NC the same way?

Old 07-30-2012, 10:27 AM

citylove101,

Thank you.
Commute is really material.
Regarding the unicorn, you are absolutely right, but the purpose of this search is to find the closest

Old 07-30-2012, 10:49 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,028,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiorgko View Post
BitofEndearment,

plates, glamatomic

I'm not afraid of high temperatures and humidity. But it depends how high. For example, in Nicosia (where I live at the moment), during the summer the temperature and humidity are extremely high. You will not get rain, even clouds are rare. This night 98% is expected. During the day, such imagination, the air is burning.

That's good, it opens up a lot of places for you then.

North Carolina can be humid but is usually not as bad as Texas. North Carolina has a lot of nice cities such as Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, and others.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,517,541 times
Quote:
Thank you for this suggestion. Actually I've been thinking a lot about Oregon. Ashland has only 20.000 inhabitants. How is there with the job opportunities?
Nearby Medford is a short commute, but it's generally more conservative there.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Nearby Medford is a short commute, but it's generally more conservative there.
Seems to be very nice. How is it about the crime?

Old 07-30-2012, 04:32 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,147,037 times
Quote:
Sorry, forgot to say. I'm from Ukraine (south) and currently live in Cyprus (Nicosia). Can you please explain you last question as I didn't get it.
Would you like to be able to find Ukranian food or Cyprus food?

Old 07-30-2012, 08:57 PM

606 posts, read 953,739 times
Quote:
BitofEndearment,

plates, glamatomic

Crime in the city is going to be highly variable depending on the neighborhoods. In all of these cities you're going to be able to find very safe areas and these cities also came to mind precisely because they have less crime than many others. Many of the factors I listed before, like decent employment rates, lends to lower crime.

Fort Worth was already a big city undergoing a boom, usually a recipe for I Can't Handle This Overload! crime levels but Fort Worth seems to be managing fairly well, and I know several people down there who have come from much tougher cities who are perfectly fine raising their families in Fort Worth. There are a few neighborhoods such as East Lancaster that have been profiled as high crime but the city is vast there are large stretches of safe neighborhoods and you are not going to accidentally stumble into a bad one.

San Diego does have some areas with high crime, I believe Downtown and City Heights are considered some poorer neighborhoods as far as crime states, but the city is notorious for being a big city AND safe on the overall. Forbes ranked it the 9th safest city in America.

Richmond's crime rate has been declining steadily for years. The city probably has suffered the worst reputation for crime as far as these four go but that's a bit outdated now. The inner city and suburbs are actually pretty safe, though neighborhoods with high concentrations of housing projects and on the south side of the city are apparently less so.

Nashville has some gnarly neighborhoods but it is blessed by the fact that Tennessee's biggest city, Memphis, has one of the worst crime rates in the US. On the overall it has a pretty average crime rate for an America city, with some bad neighborhoods and plenty of good ones. It wouldn't be a problem to find a good place to live that is safe and urban.

Can I get back to you on ecology?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,328,806 times
Your search turned up 0 results.

Quote:
BitofEndearment,

You said not above 35c, that's on the low side for the high temps this time of year. Although the western part of the state is much much cooler (usually) due to the higher elevation. The major city there is Asheville and it's not all that big of a city. However it does frequently go below 0c.

You say where you live now humidity is extremely high but rain and clouds are rare

Old 07-30-2012, 09:54 PM

774 posts, read 1,424,801 times
I recommend Northern/Western Europe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or