U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:51 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,151,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiorgko View Post
pgm123,

Thanks. Precipitation is not so high comparing to East Coast cities.

Btw, what city do you live in? What can you tell about it?
I live in Sunny Isles, a suburb of Miami right now.

Weather: The winters are mild and are occasionally hot. The summers are also hot. It's actually cooler than most of the Northeast right now. It's in the low 30s C right now, but it gets hotter at times. It's very rainy during the summer and really dry during the winter.

Nature: You have the ocean on one side and the everglades on the other. There are no mountains and not a lot of natural areas other than the beaches (which are crowded). I live right by Oleta Park, which is good, though.

Population: Miami has less than 2 million, but the metro area is very crowded. I think it'll have the problems with population that you don't like (tons of traffic).

People: There are nice people in Miami, but most people find Miamians to be rude. The Beaches in Miami (like Sunny Isles Beach) are pretty safe. I've never had a problem with crime.

Employment: Miami has a pretty high unemployment rate, but the financial sector has recovered better than most. Brickell is home to one of the highest concentration of international banks in the United States.

Other: Miami has all the major American sports + Jai Alai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:51 AM

15 posts, read 16,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
We could probably give you a better answer if you told us how much you wanted to spend on a house whether to rent monthly or buy.
plates,

Amount of the rent expenses will depend on annual income, market conditions (quality, prices etc.).

In addition, I'm not planning to buy the house at this stage due to lack of savings and knowledge of the US cities' realities.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 AM

15 posts, read 16,521 times
pgm123,

Miami has around 1.500mm of annual precipitation. At the same time, Portland - less than 1.000mm.
Could you please explain, why is Portland considered as rainy and gloomy city ?

Old 08-02-2012, 08:16 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,085,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
North Carolina is WAY too humid and hot in the Summer for the OP.

I agree that the Pacific Northwest would be a good fit- although it's more expensive than NC.
35 C in Fahrenheit is about 95F. I'd say he'd do fine in Charlotte. Furthermore it averages about 1000mm of rain a year, has mild winters, is VERY green, on the foothill of the Appalachians and has a strong growing economy based partly on finance (I assume that will translate to accounting). As a cherry on top, the metro is under 2 million and not very crowded.

As to the PacNorthwest, it has way too many rainy days. Furthermore I think Seattle is too big for his criteria and Portland? Eh, the economy is not very good.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:18 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,085,002 times
Quote:
pgm123,

Miami has around 1.500mm of annual precipitation. At the same time, Portland - less than 1.000mm.
Could you please explain, why is Portland considered as rainy and gloomy city ?
Miami gets rain in short bursts while Portland gets drizzle and plenty of clouds. Furthermore, for Portland this is all concentrated over the winter months making it very gloomy then.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:51 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,520,800 times
Quote:
Seems to be very nice. How is it about the crime?
Crime there seems low, but property crime can be common in small college towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or