Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 01:58 PM

15 posts, read 18,740 times

Advertisements

Which of the American cities meets or close to the following criterias:

Climate.
- winter is mild, temperature not below 0 C,
- summer not very hot (not above 35 C) and not very humid.
Precipitation should not be higher 1.000mm and spread evenly during the year. I like rain, but outdoor activities are also important. Wouldn't like to wait for the sunny day to drink beer with bbq.

Nature
Perfect city would be green, close to mountains and/or ocean/lake/river.

Population
Not more than 2.000.000 inhabitants and not very crowdy.

People
I've read on this forum some comments regarding the rudeness. It would be nice to avoid such places. In addition, high crime levels are unacceptable.

Employment
My profession is certified accountant. Of course, I realize that in USA my certificate will not equal to CPA, but this is the area I would like to continue my career. Which of the cities has developed financial services sector with low unemployment rate?

Other
Sports (soccer, ice hockey, basektball and American football) are interesting for me.

I've read a number of articles, went through various statistical data, but information obtained from the person who actually lives there is more real.

Described place is not very easy to find, but if you know some which are close to these criterias, I would be grateful for your comments.

Maybe, I missed to include something important. So, please, state the factors you think are important in choosing an ideal living place

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 03:03 PM

Forgot to add:

Economy
Low taxes and various expenses (electricity, water etc);

Natural disasters
I've never experienced the earthquake or tornado and don't want to.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:29 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Where are you from? Is it important to be able to find food from home?

Old 07-29-2012, 04:28 PM

51 posts, read 160,278 times
I want to say somewhere in the Pacific Northwest, but the rain would probably be a problem. Maybe somewhere in North Carolina?

Old 07-29-2012, 05:22 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,034 times
This is an impossible question to definitely answer. There's no objective Goldiloxs "just right" city in America. If you want to find your just right city, the only way is to live in different cities until you find one that makes you truly happy. Your criteria is rather vague but at the same time detailed enough for me ti say I don't know if such a city exists. Not too hot, no too cold, low taxes, big but nor overwhelming population, near beautiful landscapes, low unemployment, nice people, good in financial services? There's many cities that meet a lot of these criteria but I'm not sure if there is a US city that meets then all. But to help you, some places:

San Diego Good climate, rather dry and very sunny. Of course, this is Southern California so it can get hot but much drier heat than the humid South or East Coast. The population is about 1.4 millions and unemployment is around 8.8% but it does have some financial power, though not like other west coast cities, especially San Francisco and San Jose. It's a great sports town and right on the ocean, as well as a short drive from the mountains and the desert. Not many natural disasters happening there.

Richmond Very temperate climate, perhaps a little wetter than you would like but not too bad considering cities like Boston or NYC. Not overwhelmingly overpopulated or crowded like No Va and DC but close enough to reap some of the benefits of DC's political and financial power and growing economy. Also a good enough distance away that the people are probably much more homely and slow paced than DC. Virginia is beautiful, and is surrounded by the Appalachians and the Atlantic, so very beautiful.

Nashville Not a financial conglomerate by any means but not Biloxi, either. Pretty fair climate and out of the way of many disasters though it did have disastrous flooding last year. Economy is doing pretty good actually, especially compared to cities like Memphis. A great cultural capital with cool people and plenty of sports and music going around. Tennessee also has Great Smoky Mountains NP for landscapes and the Mississippi River in the west. Not the largest city in the state but also decent enough to be very active.

Fort Worth Can get pretty hot (it's Texas) but it's not as unbearable as further south and does not get horribly cold. Tornadoes are a risk but you are too far inland to have hurricanes, unlikely to suffer the wrath of a blizzard, too dry for flooding. From what I've heard it's a much more fun town with a lot nicer people (sorry if this is incorrect!) than Dallas, and also not so monstrously enormous. Dallas is a financial powerhouse and Fort Worth is on the receiving end of that relationship to some extent. Great town for sports and culture as well (perhaps more lively then business-oriented Dallas?). Also, DFW is booming economically so likely to have more job opportunities than elsewhere.

Best I can offer

Old 07-29-2012, 05:53 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,100 times
Ashland, Oregon might be a good fit. It doesn't rain as much as in Portland though the summers can get hot.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:05 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,128 times
How much are you wanting to spend on either rent or a house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
This is an impossible question to definitely answer. There's no objective Goldiloxs "just right" city in America. If you want to find your just right city, the only way is to live in different cities until you find one that makes you truly happy. Your criteria is rather vague but at the same time detailed enough for me ti say I don't know if such a city exists. Not too hot, no too cold, low taxes, big but nor overwhelming population, near beautiful landscapes, low unemployment, nice people, good in financial services? There's many cities that meet a lot of these criteria but I'm not sure if there is a US city that meets then all. But to help you, some places:

San Diego Good climate, rather dry and very sunny. Of course, this is Southern California so it can get hot but much drier heat than the humid South or East Coast. The population is about 1.4 millions and unemployment is around 8.8% but it does have some financial power, though not like other west coast cities, especially San Francisco and San Jose. It's a great sports town and right on the ocean, as well as a short drive from the mountains and the desert. Not many natural disasters happening there.

Richmond Very temperate climate, perhaps a little wetter than you would like but not too bad considering cities like Boston or NYC. Not overwhelmingly overpopulated or crowded like No Va and DC but close enough to reap some of the benefits of DC's political and financial power and growing economy. Also a good enough distance away that the people are probably much more homely and slow paced than DC. Virginia is beautiful, and is surrounded by the Appalachians and the Atlantic, so very beautiful.

Nashville Not a financial conglomerate by any means but not Biloxi, either. Pretty fair climate and out of the way of many disasters though it did have disastrous flooding last year. Economy is doing pretty good actually, especially compared to cities like Memphis. A great cultural capital with cool people and plenty of sports and music going around. Tennessee also has Great Smoky Mountains NP for landscapes and the Mississippi River in the west. Not the largest city in the state but also decent enough to be very active.

Fort Worth Can get pretty hot (it's Texas) but it's not as unbearable as further south and does not get horribly cold. Tornadoes are a risk but you are too far inland to have hurricanes, unlikely to suffer the wrath of a blizzard, too dry for flooding. From what I've heard it's a much more fun town with a lot nicer people (sorry if this is incorrect!) than Dallas, and also not so monstrously enormous. Dallas is a financial powerhouse and Fort Worth is on the receiving end of that relationship to some extent. Great town for sports and culture as well (perhaps more lively then business-oriented Dallas?). Also, DFW is booming economically so likely to have more job opportunities than elsewhere.

Best I can offer
The OP said that they wanted to avoid high taxes, San Diego is expensive. Forth Worth is really pushing it with the temperature.

I agree with Nashville and Richmond, though.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:24 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPHX View Post
I want to say somewhere in the Pacific Northwest, but the rain would probably be a problem. Maybe somewhere in North Carolina?
North Carolina is WAY too humid and hot in the Summer for the OP.

I agree that the Pacific Northwest would be a good fit- although it's more expensive than NC.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
For work purposes you have a limited number of major cities with a significant financial sector: New York, Boston, Washington DC, San Francisco, Chicago, Charlotte NC, and Columbus Ohio are the ones that come to mind immediately, although granted that there are accounting jobs all over the country.

But any of these are places are doable IF you think of their suburbs rather than the central cities themselves in terms of an acceptable COL and population density. The suburban thing could give you a decent commute to the city and access to outdoorsy stuff as well, in addition to perhaps your own backyard or outdoor space.

Frankly the Northeast is fairly underrated as to good weather, as we do have four seasons and perhaps only a month or so (maybe not even that) of 95+ and humid weather in the summer, another four weeks of really cold winter weather, plus far more sunshine year around than the Midwest or Pacific Northwest. Somewhat snowier near Boston, somewhat more humid near Washington.

Discount what you've heard about people being rude. I can guarantee you that there are a**holes all over America.

You do have something of a a unicorn search going on. But the closest thing to everything you want I think will be the suburbs -- or even the exurbs -- of one of the big cities in the Bo-Wash corridor.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Where are you from? Is it important to be able to find food from home?
Sorry, forgot to say. I'm from Ukraine (south) and currently live in Cyprus (Nicosia). Can you please explain you last question as I didn't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.