U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 02:16 PM

3,733 posts, read 6,475,276 times

Advertisements

The 2009 heatwave was one that either tied or shattered old record highs and record high lows. Heatwaves like that just don't happen around here. Seattle had never before, and hasn't since, recorded a day above 100, nor hasn't before, and hasn't since, recorded an overnight low above 70. In the two locations I suggested above, such high temperatures are even more rare than in Seattle itself.

Most of our heateaves feature temperatures in the mid to upper 80s and sometimes lower 90s. It is rare for Seattle to get much hotter than 90 degrees. (And even rarer for Port Angeles and Sequim). And the last couple of summers here have been much cooler and wetter and cloudier than normal. Hopefully this isn't becoming the norm. (Not that it will matter to me much once I finally get myself moved to Eastern Washington!).

Also, most of the humidity in the PNW comes during winter. Compared to the Midwest and East Coast, PNW is a very dry place during the summer months. I have a low tolerance for heat + humidity myself, so there are times it does get to me, and muggy days can happen from time to time, but really muggy days here are very rare and for most people the normal levels of summer humidity here are perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 03:08 PM

177 posts, read 235,748 times
Honestly, I view extreme cold weather just as bad as extreme warm/

Old 07-30-2012, 08:44 PM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Chrissakes, the heat will break in a month or two.

The best place to escape the heat is in your own backyard, western north carolina. It can be 95 degrees but once you get up to about 4500' elevation, you'll be in the upper 60's.

You don't want snow and I'm guessing you probably don't want sub zero temps or having a summer that only lasts a month, that pretty much limits you to the pacific northwest. If you can afford to live there, then congrats but you probably won't like that either because it never really warms up. And what good is the nice temps if you can't go out because it's raining?

Go camping in WNC immediately. For a week.
Believe me, I know how you feel. Just trust me on this one.

Usable days... that's what to look for.
Eastern NC may have less usable days in summer but more in winter, spring and fall. Find a weather almanac and compare against alaska, montana, etc. You'll see.
Spot on and thanks for presenting an option that doesn't involve the Pacific Northwest as the only alternative for once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or