U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 01:11 PM

10,168 posts, read 6,506,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Message from a Southern woman:

If you don't appreciate the southern states, then by all means don't come visit - and CERTAINLY don't move here. However, if you do decide to visit, you may be very pleasantly surprised, as long as you check your prejudices and personal agendas at the door.

I've lived in the South most of my life- much of that time spent "below the poverty line" - and I love it here. Not only that, I lucked up and married the quintessential Southern gentleman, and he treats me like a man should treat a woman. I sure do appreciate the upbringing he had and the fine examples of southern manners and values that he had and now emulates.

Back to that "poverty line." While I was living "in poverty" I managed to buy a brand new house, drive a Volvo, and provide a good living for myself and my family. My kids were healthy and I was able to feed and clothe them well, and make sure they attended good schools. We had TV and even video games and (gasp) even INTERNET!

In fact, here is the home I lived in while living "below the poverty line" in the South:

Yeah. Poor me.

Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 10:53 PM

45,144 posts, read 36,338,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Jeez, calm down. I was just making a comment. Never said I hated the South or whatever.
You posted a comment on a discussion thread. I'm discussing your comment - and the thread in general.

As for calming down, if I were any more calm, I'd be comatose. So no, thank you - I won't "calm down."

Old 08-04-2012, 11:26 PM

1,955 posts, read 2,736,340 times
Well, just going by education, life expectantcy, healthcare coverage, and crime rates, Id say the deep south would definitely not be on the best lists for anyone. Massachusetts would be at the top of that one.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:46 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,562,446 times
Louisiana is fine for women.
There is nothing wrong with this state in that regard.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:50 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,692,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You posted a comment on a discussion thread. I'm discussing your comment - and the thread in general.

As for calming down, if I were any more calm, I'd be comatose. So no, thank you - I won't "calm down."
Okiedokie. Whatever floats your boat.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:58 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,998,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Not to be a dick, but why is it that Southern states always appear at the top of "worst of" lists?
The South had a more "hierarchical" society so larger amounts of generational poverty. Most of these lists are measuring things that favor more egalitarian and health-focused societies. One person joked that it's something like the "Scandinavian standard", where internationally we judge nations by how much like Scandinavia they are. (That being said it wasn't all Southern, Idaho was on this list and Virginia does well on many lists) I guess that can go down to the state level or in the US maybe we go by the "New England standard." Places are good or bad depending on how much they have the positive traits of New England. Granted I think the guy exaggerated, societies not like Scandinavia at all moved up in development indices, but many of these measures do focus on things that are maybe more true of Scandinavian or New England type societies.

If lists included things where Scandinavia is not so great (assault, binge drinking, suicide among middle-aged people) than the South might not do so bad. If lists focused on things where New England isn't so great (probably binge drinking again and economic growth) than the South might not do so bad. Poorer places also sometimes do better at life-satisfaction and generosity. An index that mixes "reported happiness" with suicide might not do so bad for the South. Then looking up Gallup's bottom five for "emotional health" I found

Kentucky - Absolute bottom, then
West Virginia
Tennessee
Nevada
Rhode Island

Still two of the five aren't Southern and additionally it looks like Appalachian South was what's bad.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:41 AM

45,144 posts, read 36,338,000 times
Quote:
Okiedokie. Whatever floats your boat.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:45 AM

10,541 posts, read 14,362,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Then looking up Gallup's bottom five for "emotional health" I found

Kentucky - Absolute bottom, then
West Virginia
Tennessee
Nevada
Rhode Island

Still two of the five aren't Southern and additionally it looks like Appalachian South was what's bad.
Yet just three years ago the CDC listed TN as one of the top happiest 5 states, along with several other southern states. Go figure!
CDC: People in sunny states happiest, New York least - USATODAY.com

Old 08-05-2012, 12:53 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,692,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Yet just three years ago the CDC listed TN as one of the top happiest 5 states, along with several other southern states. Go figure!
CDC: People in sunny states happiest, New York least - USATODAY.com
This is why I don't pay attention to all those ridiculous stats.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:27 AM

10,168 posts, read 6,506,890 times
Quote:
This is why I don't pay attention to all those ridiculous stats.

Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.