U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:37 PM

32 posts, read 44,030 times

Advertisements

Why? Because I am a woman in her mid 30's who does NOT want to get married or have children (GASP!).

First, I am thinking of moving to a city where a woman like me is not so uncommon, or people don't look at me as if I have horns growing out of my head, but what is the big deal? I don't judge people for making the choice to get married and have kids, but SO many people seem to think something is wrong with me because I don't.

I didn't say I didn't want a RELATIONSHIP, and I'm not one of those corporate you-know-whats nor am I gay (although there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with being gay... had to put that out there), I've just recognized as I have gotten older that I don't need "til death do us part" to be happy.

I would be just as happy doing the Goldie Hawn/Kurt Russell thing and have kids with four legs and tails. Don't get me wrong. I ADORE children... when they belong to someone else because I have the luxury of spoiling them, hanging out with them and being "Auntie", but have the freedom to go on vacations or hang out late without worrying about the kids.

So... now that I have gotten all of that off my chest, does anyone know where I can find some like minded D.I.N.K.s (Dual Income No Kids) in the South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 09:15 PM

15,729 posts, read 18,141,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyblu View Post
Why? Because I am a woman in her mid 30's who does NOT want to get married or have children (GASP!).

First, I am thinking of moving to a city where a woman like me is not so uncommon, or people don't look at me as if I have horns growing out of my head, but what is the big deal? I don't judge people for making the choice to get married and have kids, but SO many people seem to think something is wrong with me because I don't.

I didn't say I didn't want a RELATIONSHIP, and I'm not one of those corporate you-know-whats nor am I gay (although there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with being gay... had to put that out there), I've just recognized as I have gotten older that I don't need "til death do us part" to be happy.

I would be just as happy doing the Goldie Hawn/Kurt Russell thing and have kids with four legs and tails. Don't get me wrong. I ADORE children... when they belong to someone else because I have the luxury of spoiling them, hanging out with them and being "Auntie", but have the freedom to go on vacations or hang out late without worrying about the kids.

So... now that I have gotten all of that off my chest, does anyone know where I can find some like minded D.I.N.K.s (Dual Income No Kids) in the South?
Chapel Hill NC

It's a nice little town, safe and has a great downtown.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:18 PM

43,543 posts, read 42,115,885 times
I've encountered DINKs in most of the bigger Southern cities: Atlanta, Austin, Nashville, Charlotte.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:27 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,304,502 times
Goldie and Kurt had kids.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:18 PM

5,722 posts, read 8,795,474 times
Quote:
SO many people seem to think something is wrong with me because I don't.
Could this be the crowd you hang out with? Do you live in a small town or attend a conservative church?

I feel quite comfortable being single with no kids in Knoxville, but I don't think this city is unique. I'm guessing in any city of 80,000+ you will be find acceptance, especially if there is a university presence.

Then again I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find a church or social circle here that WOULD look down on me. My point is this city is big enough and most people mind their own business.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:30 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,975,384 times
Atlanta or Austin. If you count Miami as being southern then that works, too. Even so, Dallas and Houston are much more liberal and less southern than they used to be.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:30 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,293,895 times
No one cares in pretty much any large metropolitan area, you must live in a seriously hickish small town, very sorry for you. I didn't know places were still like that.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:00 AM

13,428 posts, read 17,016,515 times
I think medium-size historic cities like Savannah or Charleston are attractive to people such as yourself. I know plenty of single women / never been marrieds in their 30s-40s and on up here who are not lesbians (not that there's anything wrong with that LOL)

Generally, they are all professionals who are emmersed in some kind of professional or civic organizations, do volunteer work, partake in arts and cultural organizations (museums, theater groups, film societies), enjoy outdoor activites (beach, boating, gardening, fitness) and tend to be much more liberal, "laizze faire" and just plain fun to be around. None of those I know have ruled out marriage, or kids even, but they aren't actively seeking that either. If it happens, great -- but my friends who fit that description seem content to enjoy whatever life offers (or so they say).

Of course, many of these women have more than the average number of gay male friends. Whether that's cause or effect I never know. But there's certainly plenty of them here.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:32 AM

14 posts, read 25,646 times
simple answer: you won't

I live in the south too and I am in my 30s and single. I get asked all the time, why am I not married? Do I have kids? The best thing that you can do is move north which is what I plan on doing.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:44 AM

21,237 posts, read 30,495,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Chapel Hill NC

It's a nice little town, safe and has a great downtown.
I agree and would throw either Durham or Carrboro into the area mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or