Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 12:09 AM

181 posts, read 505,933 times

Advertisements

Does this exist anywhere? Frustrated with the dating scene in LA, there is almost a "women are disposable" attitude here that guys have here....no one wants anything more than quick "fun", and this extends well past the partying 20's. I've met guys in their 50s who are still living this way. Because they can.

This is probably a national thing these days, but there has to be other cities where the culture is not quite this hostile....?

Old 07-30-2012, 12:19 AM

502 posts, read 717,510 times
Move to a mid-size city in the Midwest or South: Kansas City, Milwaukee, Nashville, Jacksonville, etc. Otherwise, move out into the suburbs of L.A. Sounds like you've been caught up in the hollywood scene. It's all hipsters and yuppies in there. The Southern California valleys are full of very friendly, laid-back natives.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:01 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,267,578 times
Baltimore.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:33 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times
How about San Diego? Due to the high male-to-female ratio, men work hard to keep their women since the women have plenty of options. That is why in SD, the women tend to have more of a "men are disposable" attitude.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:43 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
I find New Orleans men courtly in a very old-fashioned way. Check out the upstairs bar at Gallatoire's on a Friday afternoon and you'll see what I mean.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:47 AM

684 posts, read 825,024 times
It could also be where it is that you're meeting these men. The odds of finding a person who is actually gentlemanly in bars is relatively low.

Could you tell us a bit about where you intend to go to meet them? The problem lies in perpetual adolescence. Western culture encourages that and certain places will attract the eternal adolescents.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:37 AM

181 posts, read 505,933 times
A lot of this is my own fault, I admit. I am not as social as I should be; I don't have the greatest network. Hard to put in the effort, I work a lot. I do have friends, but we all work a lot/have little free time/some live on the other end of town (which may as well be Pluto due to the traffic here). Most of my friends are female, and experiencing the same issues with guys. They can't help me! Once in a while we go out, usually to nice restaurants or more mellow wine-bar type places, but we are never approached. We are attractive, but not in our twenties! So I end up relying on things like Meetup or online dating (ugh)--I do at least stick to the more reputable sites. I think though I've decided not to do that anymore. Even through Meetup I have met some serious predators/con men. Either than or the guys "disappear" because it becomes clear I won't go to bed immediately.

I have been toying with the idea of moving to New England...Boston maybe? Even though I hear people are not the friendliest. People often tell me I seem like an East Coaster. It seems like the ultimate contrast from here, culturally. You have Harvard instead of the entertainment industry, for example! There is a lack of intelligence here too, I have to say (don't I sound like a snob!) And it's not uncommon for guys to earn far less or ask women for money. I just want to be amongst "mature adults" who have their act together. I want to be treated like a human being, not a piece of--you know.

What's really crazy is I'm not even looking for marriage/family. I don't want kids. I don't want to cohabitate. I just want a long term relationship!

Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post
What's really crazy is I'm not even looking for marriage/family. I don't want kids. I don't want to cohabitate. I just want a long term relationship!
That may be limiting though for what you're seeking. Most "old-fashioned" men want to have a family and kids eventually.

Children are a huge responsibility, but few things in life are as fulfilling especially once you reach a certain age and have lived a little. IMO.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:45 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post
dang, up until your last sentence I was going to suggest Del Boca Vista, Florida

Seinfeld - Frank Costanza - Del Boca Vista - YouTube

Old 07-30-2012, 09:10 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I'm probably generalizing a bit but I think Boston could be a good fit for you as there are many private school/boarding school educated men in the area who grew up differently than most men in the US in terms of being taught respect for others. My good friend is from the Boston area and many of her classmates from boarding school stayed in the area for college and work afterwards. They all fit the profile of what you're looking for and think Boston could be at least worth checking out. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.