U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 12:01 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,564,879 times

Advertisements

Harlem with countless hood movies like juice, paid in full, American gangster fort apache, etc etc so Harlem definitely qualifies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 12:04 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,564,879 times
Oh yeah and NYC created gangs and hip hop

Old 08-26-2012, 01:47 PM

32 posts, read 31,759 times
NYC, Chi-Town, LA, Philly, Detroit, Texas, New Orleans, ATL.
Those are the main places hip hop wise that everyone thinks are infamous hoods.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:14 AM

32 posts, read 31,759 times
NYC, Chi-Town, LA, Philly, Detroit, Texas, New Orleans, ATL.
Those are the main places hip hop wise that everyone thinks are infamous hoods.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:38 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,811,819 times
The east side of Cleveland
South side, Chicago
Bronx, New York
Harlem, New York
Southcentral Los Angeles
Most of Oakland
Parts of D.C
Parts of Baltimore
Detroit
North St.Louis
Oak Cliff, Dallas
Parts of Atlanta
North Philadelphia

All of these areas have inspired numerous rap songs and "ghetto culture". The listed all have in common that they are ghetto and have high crime rates. Im not putting down any cities so dont start getting mad if your city is on here, it not your entire city just part of it.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:30 AM

4,370 posts, read 5,150,702 times
Atlanta really isn't that bad. And the thing is, while people can actually mention specific hoods in a lot of these other places, they can't do the same for Atlanta. Just because there are a ton of rappers from Atlanta, doesn't mean it has popular hoods. As a matter of fact, there are very few parts of Atlanta that would even qualifies as the hood anymore. Gentrification has destroyed most ghettos after 1996, and the ones that hung around all pretty much died in 2008. There are only 2 or 3 places off the top of my head that actually are the hood in Atlanta.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:02 AM

933 posts, read 1,609,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
I don't really get this... I live in the Midwest with 66,000,000 other people, what exactly does that explain?
Your conversations almost always revolve around midwestern cities because that's what's relevant to the people around you. I've never even heard of "North Minneapolis", whether that's a town or a neighborhood, I have no clue.

Growing up in South Jersey and Philly, I always heard about the South Bronx, Harlem, North Philly, Kennsington, though oddly enough, I didn't know how bad Camden actually was until after I left. It was just life to me, and I assumed everyone else had it worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Atlanta really isn't that bad. And the thing is, while people can actually mention specific hoods in a lot of these other places, they can't do the same for Atlanta. Just because there are a ton of rappers from Atlanta, doesn't mean it has popular hoods. As a matter of fact, there are very few parts of Atlanta that would even qualifies as the hood anymore. Gentrification has destroyed most ghettos after 1996, and the ones that hung around all pretty much died in 2008. There are only 2 or 3 places off the top of my head that actually are the hood in Atlanta.
Not all crime happens in the ghetto, but Atlanta did make the list for most dangerous this year.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlj45jggj/6-atlanta/

Old 10-21-2012, 07:09 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,429,082 times
Only one project on Earth can boast the World Series of Dice: Marcy Projects! I'll never forget my many battles w/ Ashy Larry. With our winnings, we did get Ashy some chap stick, a can of Crisco, and a pair of trousers. He never made it to classy, however. WHAT?!

Old 10-21-2012, 11:49 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,100,623 times
Compton...

Old 10-21-2012, 11:53 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,100,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay718 View Post
Oh yeah and NYC created gangs and hip hop
Actualy gangs have been around for a long time in los angeles. They were mostly from south America and central america.
JOOM: WHO Invented Gangs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.