U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 PM

7,746 posts, read 6,149,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Lower 9th Ward of New Orleans - esp since Katrina
South Central LA
Compton
INglewood
Watts
Bronx
Harlem
Anacostia - Washington DC
All of Detroit
All of Camden
All of Baltimore
South Philadelphia
North PHiladelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 06:41 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,504,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Your conversations almost always revolve around midwestern cities because that's what's relevant to the people around you. I've never even heard of "North Minneapolis", whether that's a town or a neighborhood, I have no clue.

Growing up in South Jersey and Philly, I always heard about the South Bronx, Harlem, North Philly, Kennsington, though oddly enough, I didn't know how bad Camden actually was until after I left. It was just life to me, and I assumed everyone else had it worse.

Not all crime happens in the ghetto, but Atlanta did make the list for most dangerous this year.

6. Atlanta - Daniel Fisher Full Disclosure - Forbes

I'm not suprised you haven't heard of north Minneapolis (it's an area by the way, so, it's technically parts of Near North, Jordan, Cleveland, Victory, Willard-Hay, etc.). It's a loose term, the all-encompassing real name would be "Near North" or the 4th police precinct. The reason "north Minneapolis" is used is because there isn't a specific area with boundaries that has the highest crime. Seeing as Minneapolis is a relatively medium-crime city, most people wouldn't know about it (as you said). The people who live in the metro just know the name because it affects them. For a small-ish area, it has pretty high crime, but the really bad stuff it is mostly confined to that area, so it isn't as popular now as it was in the mid-90's, where it was a "popular" ghetto, and earned Minneapolis the nickname "Murderapolis". To make the situation worse, last year the area was hit by a tornado, and it tore a ~2 mile long path straight through, so that didn't make anything.... better.

I only mentioned it because i grew up right near there and went to elementary school right on the edge of what's considered "north Minneapolis". I guess i feel a little more strongly about the area?

Lastly, I later understood the whole midwest comment, but I was thinking whoever responded could have been implying other things, so I asked.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:13 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,115,020 times
Compton
Watts
South Central LA
Inglewood
Oakland
Bronx
Brooklyn
New Orleans Wards
5th Ward Houston
South Side Chicago
Detroit

Some smaller, lesser known ghettos are Oak Cliff in Dallas & Stop Six in Fort Worth. During the 90's Fort Worth was known as Murder Worth. Its no wonder Cops filmed a significant number of its episodes in Fort Worth.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 10-23-2012 at 11:22 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 11:35 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,765,094 times
Thanks to GTA, and Bad Boys Little Haiti.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:16 PM

630 posts, read 841,162 times
South Central, Crown Heights, South Bronx and Compton.

Runner Up: Southwest Philly and Southside Chicago

Old 09-11-2013, 07:42 PM

40 posts, read 62,917 times
Yeah i doubt theres a ghetto in Minneapolis atleast nothing compared to Camden or North Philly

Old 09-11-2013, 09:23 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,403,806 times
Popularity doesn't necessarily equate to crime rate. I'd say Compton/Long Beach/South Central then Harlem are the most emulated and famous "hoods" in the United States. Nowadays Atlanta (College Park, Riverdale, East Atlanta) gets a lot of shout outs too in popular songs. If you're talking about sheer murder rate and infamy then New Orleans, Detroit, East St. Louis, Richmond (California), and Camden.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:28 PM

12,600 posts, read 15,066,993 times
South Central LA, Compton, "The Flats" in Oakland, The Bronx, Hunter's Point/Bayview (SF), Antioch, Richmond, Pittsburg, Watts, Inglewood, Visitacion Valley (SF)

Old 09-12-2013, 12:08 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,266,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Some smaller, lesser known ghettos are Oak Cliff in Dallas & Stop Six in Fort Worth. During the 90's Fort Worth was known as Murder Worth. Its no wonder Cops filmed a significant number of its episodes in Fort Worth.
"Murder Worth" still sounds incredibly stupid to me. And no, the entire city of Oakland isn't a ghetto.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:11 AM

8,224 posts, read 10,791,381 times
Nobody,not one,mentioned Miami?

I wonder why mostly all the well known ghetto's are in California and the north?

The whole south seemed like one big ghetto in my opinion. Its like the ghetto people are more "dispersed",all over the place vs being in one big location(Harlem).

Anyway,when someone mentions ghetto immediately South central LA comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.