U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,455,649 times

Advertisements

^That was definitely my runner-up for the state of Washington. But I figured the Space Needle is more instantly recognizable to non-Washingtonians than any mountain could be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:27 PM

7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
Georgia - Savannah historic district as a whole (single Georgia landmark - Atlanta Centennial Park)
Louisiana - French Quarter
Maryland - Fort McHenry
Virginia - Natural Bridge, mount Vernon, Monticello, Appomattox site
North Carolina - Cape Hatteras lighthouse
Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry
West Virginia - New River Gorge bridge
Washington, D.C. - White House

Colorado - Pikes Peak
Wyoming - Old Faithful geyser
Alaska - Mt. McKinley
South Carolina - historic Charleston as a whole
Hawaii - USS Arizona memorial/Pearl Harbor
Kentucky - Churchill Downs
Washington - Space Needle
Massachusetts - Freedom Trail
Puerto Rico - Old San Juan
Texas - The Alamo, Reunion Tower, NASA Mission Control

Alabama - Talladega Speedway
Delaware - Dover Downs Speedway
New Jersey - Atlantic City boardwalk
New York - Empire State Building
Pennsylvania - Liberty Bell, Rocky Balboa statue, Gettysburg battlefield

California - Hollywood sign
Arizona - Grand Canyon
Nevada - Hoover Dam , Stratosphere Tower
South Dakota - Mt. Rushmore
Utah - Arch ; Mormom Temple
Illinois - Sears Tower
Indiana - Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Missouri - Gateway Arch
Florida - Epcot Center, Cape Canaveral, Hemingway House, 7 Mile Bridge, Sunshine Skyway Bridge
Oregon - Crater Lake
Michigan - Renaissance Center

States that I think have no notable landmarks - Ohio, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maine, Kansas, Vermont, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Montana, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, New Mexico, Oklahoma though some of these do have very pretty scenery in general.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:31 PM

7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
I forgot all about Stone Mountain, Georgia. I put the Savannah Historic District and Centennial Park for Georgia. Stone Mountain is very impressive.....I wonder why its not as famous nationally as Mt. Rushmore??? People go to the middle of nowhere in South Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore while Stone Mountain is just outside Atlanta.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:29 AM

2,426 posts, read 3,622,086 times
Wisconsin - The Art Museum designed by Calatrava no?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:40 AM

4,263 posts, read 5,481,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Wisconsin - The Art Museum designed by Calatrava no?
Yes! Or maybe Lambeau field?

Old 08-03-2012, 05:55 PM

9,382 posts, read 9,543,826 times
For Rhode Island I would probably think the Breakers in Newport.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:07 AM

8,339 posts, read 9,801,373 times
I'd change Utah to Delicate Arch.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:51 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
There is a difference between "recognizable landmark" and a thing that is simply well-known to exist in the state. For example, standing back and looking at the mountain horizon from the plains, nobody (even a Colorado geographer) would be able to point out Pike's Peak. In Tennessee, the Grand Ole Opry might have been once, when it was in the Ryman Auditorium, but it's been moved to a new site, which, I understand, was closed a short time after it was opened. The Opry is a movable event, not a landmark. Basicly, just a radio program that airs from a number of different venues.

Connecticut chose the Charter Oak as its symbolic landmark on the state quarters. It's been gone for over 150 years, but there is still a monument at it's popular site. The first thing that comes to my mind in Connecticut is the US Navy's submarine station at New London, but its not something a tourist would visit. Historic Mystic could be chosen (for the same reason other have chosen Charleston and Savannah) and for its fabled Pizza. Mystic Pizza exists, but very little of the movie was shot in Mystic.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-04-2012 at 08:05 AM..

Old 08-04-2012, 08:59 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,763,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70
I forgot all about Stone Mountain, Georgia. I put the Savannah Historic District and Centennial Park for Georgia. Stone Mountain is very impressive.....I wonder why its not as famous nationally as Mt. Rushmore??? People go to the middle of nowhere in South Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore while Stone Mountain is just outside Atlanta.
Well, Mt. Rushmore isn't exactly in the middle of nowhere. The whole Black Hills area is pretty densely populated (by South Dakota standards) with lots of small cities like Keystone, Custer, Hill City, Deadwood-Lead, and of course the whole Spearfish-Sturgis-Rapid City corridor. Beyond that, Rushmore is surrounded by much more dramatic scenery and is itself more visually prominent than Stone Mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanscav View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you about Ohio. I think Roller Coasters is a great idea and its more representative of the state as a whole, but when you think about one building or one symbol that is recognizable by people outside of the state/usa.. it has to be the rock hall. It also does historically belong in Cleveland- since thats where rock music began to catch on.
I don't know... The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is definitely a very distinctive building, but Cedar Point routinely gets something like 2.5 million more guests each year (and it has less time to do it, as it's a seasonal operation). Apart from that, I just think the Cedar Point skyline is more visually exciting.
Newspaper.li - Explore popular trends

CWMania

Last edited by JMT; 08-08-2012 at 12:45 PM..

Old 08-05-2012, 11:04 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,909,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
We all know that Washington, DC, is known for its many famous landmarks. The White House. The Washington Monument. The US Capitol Building. The Lincoln Memorial. Which one is the most iconic? Which one is most recognized as a symbol of America? To be sure, it's a difficult choice. (Personally, I'm going with The White House.)

So I decided to challenge myself to come up with a list of the most recognizable landmarks for each of the 50 states. They may be natural or man-made.
My only rule: I didn't want to include landmarks that are shared among multiple states, such as the Grand Canyon, the Rocky Mountains, or the beaches of the Atlantic Ocean. I wanted to choose a single place or feature that's the most iconic for each specific state.
For some states, it was a challenge to even find one well-known landmark. For others, I was able to narrow the choices down to just two or three. Of course, there are no right or wrong answers. After reading my list, give me some feedback!

AL- Dexter Ave. Baptist Church (Montgomery)
AK- Sitka National Historic Park
AZ- Bell Rock
AR- Hot Springs National Park
CA- The Golden Gate Bridge (or) "Hollywood" sign
CO- Pikes Peak
CT- Mohegan Sun
DE- Delaware Memorial Bridge
FL- Disney's Magic Kingdom
GA- Stone Mountain
HI- USS Arizona Memorial
ID- Snake River Canyon
IL- Navy Pier (or) Willis Tower (formerly Sears)
IN- Soldiers and Sailors Memorial
IA- Iowa State Capitol
KS- Keep of the Plains (Wichita)
KY- Churchill Downs (or) the Louisville Slugger bat
LA- Bourbon Street (New Orleans)
ME- Portland Head Lighthouse
MD- Chesapeake Bay Bridge
MA- Old North Church (Boston)
MI- Mackinac Bridge
MN- Mall of America
MS- Windsor Ruins
MO- Gateway Arch
MT- Glacier National Park
NE- Chimney Rock
NV- "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign
NH- Old Man on the Mountain
NJ- Atlantic City Boardwalk
NM- Taos Pueblo
NY- Niagara Falls (or) Statue of Liberty (or) Empire State Building
NC- Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
ND- Badlands
OH- Terminal Tower (or) Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
OK- Oklahoma City National Memorial
OR- Crater Lake
PA- The Liberty Bell Center
RI- Newport Bridge
SC- Fort Sumter
SD- Mount Rushmore
TN- Graceland
TX- The Alamo
UT- Rainbow Bridge
VT- Old Constitution House
VA- Arlington National Cemetery (or) The Pentagon (or) US Marine Corps War Memorial
WA- Space Needle
WV- New River Gorge Bridge
WI- House on the Rock
WY- Devil's Tower (or) Old Faithful
Most of these choices are pretty good. However, sadly New Hampshire's Old Man of the Mountain finally died a few years ago. He had a long life but you might need to find another symbol for New Hampshire. Perhaps a village green, white church or a covered bridge. ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Man_of_the_Mountain

I also think of Indiana when I think of covered bridges. Never heard of the Soldier and Sailors memorial. Besides covered bridges, I also think of the stadium for the Indy 500 when I think of Indiana. Indianapolis Motor Speedway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or