Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised at this list. Most have atrocious winters and I surely wouldn't want to grow older with cold, snow, paralyzing driving conditions, high fuel costs. etc

10 best American cities for growing older - Bottom Line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 03:07 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm surprised at this list. Most have atrocious winters and I surely wouldn't want to grow older with cold, snow, paralyzing driving conditions, high fuel costs. etc

In other words, these are areas I should move to when I'm ready to die.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:22 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
But the top cities have lots of employment options for seniors so you won't have to worry about being on a fixed income

Old 08-07-2012, 05:41 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Well will you look at that, another dumb list.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:25 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

I still keep the idea of retiring to New York in the back of my head. I've worked there most of my life, and I always wanted to live there but couldn't afford to, at least not in a comfortable enough manner for me (I'm way past the age of living with five roommates, lol.)

But it would have advantages for retirement. You don't need a car but can easily get around to everything you need. You have access to great healthcare. There is ALWAYS something to do, no matter what your tastes and interests.

My ideal would be to have a Manhattan apartment and a house on the Jersey shore and switch back and forth.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:12 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Look at the videos for the Milken Institute, which explains their criteria. Best Cities for Successful Aging | Ross DeVol on the surprising results Video

and the lists: Best Cities for Successful Aging

Best Cities for Successful Aging Small Metros | Small Metros

Old 08-08-2012, 01:03 PM

175 posts, read 273,809 times
Honestly? near family and friends.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:35 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I still keep the idea of retiring to New York in the back of my head. I've worked there most of my life, and I always wanted to live there but couldn't afford to, at least not in a comfortable enough manner for me (I'm way past the age of living with five roommates, lol.)

But it would have advantages for retirement. You don't need a car but can easily get around to everything you need. You have access to great healthcare. There is ALWAYS something to do, no matter what your tastes and interests.

My ideal would be to have a Manhattan apartment and a house on the Jersey shore and switch back and forth.
"5. New York/Northern New Jersey
Has two of the top 20 hospitals in the U.S.
Excellent public transportation, important once you give up driving
Cultural offerings go without saying"

I agree that NYC has much to offer seniors. Besides the excellent public transportation, there are plenty of senior citizens that provide meals and activities for seniors. Also apts. are heated in the winter (and the amount of the heat the landlord must provide is regulated by the NYC law).

Old 08-10-2012, 04:50 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
"5. New York/Northern New Jersey
Has two of the top 20 hospitals in the U.S.
Excellent public transportation, important once you give up driving
Cultural offerings go without saying"

I agree that NYC has much to offer seniors. Besides the excellent public transportation, there are plenty of senior citizens that provide meals and activities for seniors. Also apts. are heated in the winter (and the amount of the heat the landlord must provide is regulated by the NYC law).
Don't senior citizens not like all the noise and junk though? Then again, I know plenty of elderly people who love their homes in Staten Island, Queens, and Brooklyn. Guess it just depends on the person's likes, which can change over time.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:24 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Don't senior citizens not like all the noise and junk though? Then again, I know plenty of elderly people who love their homes in Staten Island, Queens, and Brooklyn. Guess it just depends on the person's likes, which can change over time.
If one lives in Queens, Brooklyn or Staten Island (and probably the Bronx too) there are plenty of nice suburb-like areas that are quiet and relatively clean-looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.