Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 04:37 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
They sure are. Opinions can also be incorrect. That's what makes it an opinion. Even so, that isn't the issue here. Did you even read my post?
An opinion CAN'T Be wrong.

Quote:
If someone makes an assumption about a place based on generalizations/stereotypeswithout having been there first hand--that seems pretty ignorant to me.

no one ever did in this thread that i know of

Old 10-05-2007, 04:47 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,020 times
I agree with Billam. An opinion cannot be incorrect. I do agree, to an extent, that you cannot make assumptions about a place without having been there. However, it is not ignorant to not visit a place based on assumptions you have. I, however, have been to every state in the Union, except Alaska, Maine, New Hampsire, and Vermont.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:07 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
There is everything to do in any city. Every city is different and caters to different things. If someone's says it's boring they refused to adapt to that city's culture or just find something for themselves to do.

I'm sorry but it's usually the person.

That being said, cities I found not to be my type and ones I didn't adapt to well:

Cleveland, OH
Columbus, OH
Indianapolis, IN
Virginia Beach, VA
Charlotte, NC

For others I'm sure they're great, for me no.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:15 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Quote:
LOL!!! Good one Jive!!!
Who is Jive....is that supposed to mean something to me? I really wish you'd stop jumping on every one of my comments uninvited and for no other reason that to start something. Metropolitan area limits essentially are essentially the real city limits implicitly and obviously. Those who go by city limits essentially like to pretend that the rest of the areas immediately surrounding the city limits are all rural. City limits also are a bad way to define a city, especially if the city secedes from its county, which is completely urbanized and the city limits are a very small patch of land. Like most definitions out there that is not rocket science, you can't commonly expect the definition to work for all cases, and this is no defense of where I live...it's fact...it's like stepping outside of St. Louis City, just 6 miles from downtown is still clearly in view, and there are still many apartments, businesses, and houses, plus an additional downtown clearly in view to the west of you, and saying "I'm in a rural area now", or "I'm in a different city," to which i would respond, "LOL!!!!!"

Last edited by ajf131; 10-05-2007 at 05:25 PM..

Old 10-05-2007, 05:49 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Another one :

Lake Charles, Louisiana

Old 10-05-2007, 06:04 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Who is Jive....is that supposed to mean something to me? I really wish you'd stop jumping on every one of my comments uninvited and for no other reason that to start something. Metropolitan area limits essentially are essentially the real city limits implicitly and obviously. Those who go by city limits essentially like to pretend that the rest of the areas immediately surrounding the city limits are all rural. City limits also are a bad way to define a city, especially if the city secedes from its county, which is completely urbanized and the city limits are a very small patch of land. Like most definitions out there that is not rocket science, you can't commonly expect the definition to work for all cases, and this is no defense of where I live...it's fact...it's like stepping outside of St. Louis City, just 6 miles from downtown is still clearly in view, and there are still many apartments, businesses, and houses, plus an additional downtown clearly in view to the west of you, and saying "I'm in a rural area now", or "I'm in a different city," to which i would respond, "LOL!!!!!"
You are in a different city. It's called Clayton.

Stop attacking me for no reason. Do you wake up in the morning and think of ways to start something with me?

I agree that city limits aren't the end all be all for a city in the literal sense but most cities DO in fact fit their boundaries well. The only exceptions I can think of are dying cities like St. Louis, Baltimore, and D.C., and maybe some thriving ones up in the Northeast like Boston.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:13 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
An opinion CAN'T Be wrong
Sure it can. My proof: I can say that I think Bush is a good president

Old 10-05-2007, 06:42 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Quote:
You are in a different city. It's called Clayton.

Stop attacking me for no reason. Do you wake up in the morning and think of ways to start something with me?

I agree that city limits aren't the end all be all for a city in the literal sense but most cities DO in fact fit their boundaries well. The only exceptions I can think of are dying cities like St. Louis, Baltimore, and D.C., and maybe some thriving ones up in the Northeast like Boston.
Well, since St. Louis is not most cities, why are you arguing that it should apply here? That's like saying 2+2 = 4 but since one person thought it was five that's right as well. Attacking you for no reason? You attacked me first! You don't want me attacking you, you don't attack me...understood? And St. Louis a dying city...LMFAO!!!! Right...since Lofts are rapidly being sold out with many more on the way, old abandoned buildings are being rehabilitated, and the city has been gaining in population for the last 7 years and growing in its metro constantly, and with the number of buildings planned for downtown, you would be retracting that statement immediately, but your hatred for this city it doesn't surprise me you would ignore the facts. You want a dying city? Go to Flint, Detroit or Cleveland, where the economies are bad and the cities are losing population along with the metro areas. In St. Louis, both the city and metro area are gaining in population. Btw...it should be noted that each county has multiple city limits in it, like Cleveland...for example, Beachwood, Euclid, etc....those may not be in the city limits... but they are a part of the metro area. Why on earth do you think city limits define the city in every aspect...there are two sides to a city...the city itself and its metro area. Do you think every metro area's activity all focuses exclusively in its city. How Baltimore, D.C., and Boston are dying you'll have to explain to me because Boston is one of the most important cities in the United States along with D.C., and Baltimore...all of these cities the last time I checked were gaining in population and growing.

Last edited by ajf131; 10-05-2007 at 07:00 PM..

Old 10-05-2007, 06:57 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Sure it can. My proof: I can say that I think Bush is a good president

lol! You got me there

Old 10-06-2007, 03:17 PM

11 posts, read 26,610 times
What about Boring, Oregon? No, seriously, Huntsville, Alabama, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.