Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:49 AM

6,615 posts, read 16,492,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
They sure are. Opinions can also be incorrect. That's what makes it an opinion. Even so, that isn't the issue here. Did you even read my post?

If someone makes an assumption about a place based on generalizations/stereotypeswithout having been there first hand--that seems pretty ignorant to me.
To put it another way: There are NO incorrect opinions on city-data.com. There are MANY misinformed opinions on city-data.com.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:01 PM

285 posts, read 1,064,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPete2Charlotte View Post
East St. Louis.
Unless you find stray bullets entertaining!
I believe the question was "boring."

Number 1, there is nothing "boring" about risking your life walking through ESL.
Number 2, the question is boring city, not suburb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown
Des Moines is the third largest insurance center in the world, behind London, England and Hartford, Connecticut. The economy is strong.

It is the largest city in Iowa, and is part of Iowa's largest metro area unless you include Omaha-Council Bluffs.

It is the state capital and all the major presidential candidates have offices in the area. Des Moines is a good place to be if you like politics, especially now with the upcoming caucuses.

It has a nice skyline for a city its size, and the tallest building is 630 feet. It has a better skyline in my opinion that other midwestern state capitals such as Lincoln, an Madison. Downtown is clean and pretty easy to navigate, and two rivers flow by downtown.

The public schools are generally highly regarded, the crime is low, the cost of living and housing is low, and there are not many traffic problems.

Iowa State is only 30-40 miles away and Drake University, a division one school, is in Des Moines.
Oooh, how exciting! Political offices.
HOLY CRAP! THE THIRD LARGEST INSURANCE CENTER? Now that brings in the dance clubs!
Good public schools? Party time!
Largest city in Iowa? So? Does that make the city "more fun?" Do you think the biggest city in Montana is regarded as "fun?"
Nice skyline? Whoa, I can picture myself getting drunk with all my buddies and...staring at the skyline?

Old 10-10-2007, 01:14 PM

And the one dude said something about "if I see essentially one more time Im going to gouge my eyes out"

afj didn't understand because he only said essentially twice in an entire argument.

LOL @ St Louis being a "dying city." Far from it.

I've not heard of many "dying" cities having $500 million+ in development happening downtown.

Then again, you live in Indianapolis, right? Now it makes sense.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:30 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,000,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice13610 View Post
^^Another quality product of SLPS education, right?

I live in Ft. Wayne (which is clearly displayed on the right side of my posts by the way), itself a dying Rust-Belt city.

I merely stand up for cities like Indy, L.A. etc that take a beating from the likes of ajf and yourself on these forums.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:30 PM

22 posts, read 253,331 times
Quote:
I believe the question was "boring."

Oooh, how exciting! Political offices.
HOLY CRAP! THE THIRD LARGEST INSURANCE CENTER? Now that brings in the dance clubs!
Good public schools? Party time!
Largest city in Iowa? So? Does that make the city "more fun?" Do you think the biggest city in Montana is regarded as "fun?"
Nice skyline? Whoa, I can picture myself getting drunk with all my buddies and...staring at the skyline?
You can party and get drunk pretty pretty much anywhere assuming you have music, alcohol, and some other people around.

I don't think I said anywhere in my post that Des Moines was fun, I was just showing how there is no way it is the most boring city in the U.S.

Regardless of whether you like politics or the Presidential Primary/Caucus system, Iowa is first in the nation for Primaries/Caucuses which makes the city more exciting, especially at this time of year. The Iowa Caucuses bring excitement and pride to the area and regardless of one's political views, there should be a strong consesus that next year's presidential election is important, because it will determine who our next president is.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:32 PM

884 posts, read 1,023,524 times
Quote:
And the one dude said something about "if I see essentially one more time Im going to gouge my eyes out"

afj didn't understand because he only said essentially twice in an entire argument.

LOL @ St Louis being a "dying city." Far from it.

I've not heard of many "dying" cities having $500 million+ in development happening downtown.

actually he said it 3 times.....almost in a row as if he is suffering from a mild case of turrets.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
^^Another quality product of SLPS education, right?

I live in Ft. Wayne (which is clearly displayed on the right side of my posts by the way), itself a dying Rust-Belt city.

I merely stand up for cities like Indy, L.A. etc that take a beating from the likes of ajf and yourself on these forums.

No, I moved to St. Louis after graduating with a 4 year degree. Much like you probably moved to Fort Wayne after getting your custodial certification from the Job Corps.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:23 PM

261 posts, read 620,006 times
Cool. City-data beef. Will there be dancing like on West Side Story?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:48 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,000,628 times
Quote:
No, I moved to St. Louis after graduating with a 4 year degree. Much like you probably moved to Fort Wayne after getting your custodial certification from the Job Corps.
Lol. Degree in what? Instigating?

Respect your elders, little boy. I'll ask for your two cents after you and your buddy ajf learn how to read.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:17 PM

63 posts, read 563,623 times
Newnan,ga!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.