Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
In your part of the south have ZERO Authority to dictate against the FACT that Maryland/DC is in the South...

No one with Common Intelligence and Importance give a care about what you people down there have an opinion against the Fact that Maryland/DC is in the South..........
Oh you people huh...

Psst.. it's still not southern in any way shape or form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 08:25 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Oh you people huh...

Psst.. it's still not southern in any way shape or form.
Certainly not as evidenced by the rudeness of some of its residents. We dont roll like that down here, do we, hon?

Old 08-08-2012, 02:44 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You are getting way too carried away here. Miami, Houston, and Dallas are all in the deep south so why would they not be southern cities. Washington DC on the other hand is at the very least debatable. If you actually had visited DC I don't think you would be saying all of this. The city fits in perfectly within the Northeast corridor.
Ehh..Let's just say they are in the South. Although Nairobi may say Houston is in the Deep South. I don't. So it is a matter on who you are talking to.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:17 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Certainly not as evidenced by the rudeness of some of its residents. We dont roll like that down here, do we, hon?
Never met anyone from DC. My aunt is from Virginia, the last thing I would call her is southern.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:17 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
If you actually had visited DC I don't think you would be saying all of this. The city fits in perfectly within the Northeast corridor.
Agreed. I have family and friends in DC and Baltimore. They do not feel they live in the south and having lived both north and south myself, I have to agree. Most people from the south and from the northeast feel DC and Baltimore are northeastern in character. It is generally a couple of posters from outside either region who, either to be argumentative or to promote some inane point on CD, hold up this canard. I usually leave them to their own devices. Culturally these two cities are nothing like the rest of the south. What do I base my assertion on? Well, in addition to having family and friends in the two cities in question, I have lived in two southern states, have in-laws in another, obtained a graduate degree in Virginia, and visited every other southern state. If anyone wants to argue with me about this point, they are wasting their time. There will be plenty of others here willing to take the bait, however, so sally forth!

As for the using census designations to back up their claim, apparently even that agency must even be a bit schizophrenic about it: http://2010.census.gov/news/pdf/Regi...e_contacts.pdf

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 08-08-2012 at 04:55 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 06:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Ok let me make a ruling here.

For purposes of this thread DC is NOT- I repeat NOT- Southern. The Op said the big 4 of the South. He obviously meant Houston, San Antonio, Miami and Charlotte

anyone who continues to run down this thread with the overplayed "what is the South" talk will receive 5 demerits and a spanking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
It's 3.9 million shy of the mark, so it still has a ways to go. The term "megacity" may sound cool, but it really only means a statistical area over 10 million people. It isn't a status symbol.
You need to tell that to Octa, she seems to think it means a super dense city.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:22 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
Houston and Houston and HOuston

Old 08-08-2012, 07:06 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I know, I'm so sick of DC being called the South. DC and Baltimore has more in common with NYC and Philly than it does with any city in the deep south. I don't care what data someone pulls up, DC is not the south. They don't eat fish and grits in DC!!!
These stereotypes of what makes the south the south drive me crazy. It's not the real south unless people eat grits?

Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
I just read the silliness of this whole thread.

1. DC's in a region all to it's own.

2. Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and Miami are all part of the South.

3. None of them are part of the "Deep South".

4. NoVa's as much a part of the South as Miami is.

5. B'more isn't the South. It's Northern like Philly and the rest.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:51 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
The thing is, if we object to NOVA being "southern" due to "all those northern transplants"... how would that same criticism not apply to Dallas or Houston? Sometimes it feels like half the people in parts of the Dallas metroplex are from the same area of southern Michigan/northern Ohio...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.