U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2012, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Tysons Corner, VA by way of TEXAS
727 posts, read 1,027,849 times
Reputation: 861

Advertisements

DC?!?!!?!? Southern?!?!?!?!

LOLOL. I'll give you NOVA and Southern MD, but not DC.

In all seriousness though, Houston gets my vote. Best economy, second largest baseline population after DFW, and with the best fundamentals below its economy. DFW and Miami would be next. For Atlanta, there's definite storm clouds in its future imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2012, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,157,104 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
DC?!?!!?!? Southern?!?!?!?!

LOLOL. I'll give you NOVA and Southern MD, but not DC.

In all seriousness though, Houston gets my vote. Best economy, second largest baseline population after DFW, and with the best fundamentals below its economy. DFW and Miami would be next. For Atlanta, there's definite storm clouds in its future imo.
Nah, I still think ATL has a bright future. Its just not going to be as rapid as teh last two decades. Miami is the one I am most worried. Well, not worried, it has a bright future two, its just that I don't see enough land area to get to 10M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,627 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Reputation: 9576
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Not to sound rude but, you are. Houston parallels the typical deep south culture.
I disagree, but that's just me. If people are going to start saying Houston parallels the typical deep south culture, whatever that is, than Miami needs to be included in the conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Tysons Corner, VA by way of TEXAS
727 posts, read 1,027,849 times
Reputation: 861
Fair enough. I think Atlanta's water problems are going to be a major issue going forward. They're still fighting with Tennessee over Chattahoochee (sp?) water and they've been having ongoing legal problems with respect to Lake Lanier last time I checked. An Atlanta poster may be able to give an update though.

In 30 years water might be the new oil - a very valuable commodity. That's right around the time that ATL could be expected to break through 10 mill if the resources are there.

As far as Miami goes, it's already laid out like a northeast city in many ways particularly with respect to the core. Given the high land values, high COL, and low amount of developable land it will have to build upward to get to 10 mill. But I think it will get there. Now that I think about it a bit more though it may or may not get there before Atlanta. All a question of economy and resources really between those two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,157,104 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Fair enough. I think Atlanta's water problems are going to be a major issue going forward. They're still fighting with Tennessee over Chattahoochee (sp?) water and they've been having ongoing legal problems with respect to Lake Lanier last time I checked. An Atlanta poster may be able to give an update though.

In 30 years water might be the new oil - a very valuable commodity. That's right around the time that ATL could be expected to break through 10 mill if the resources are there.

As far as Miami goes, it's already laid out like a northeast city in many ways particularly with respect to the core. Given the high land values, high COL, and low amount of developable land it will have to build upward to get to 10 mill. But I think it will get there. Now that I think about it a bit more though it may or may not get there before Atlanta. All a question of economy and resources really between those two.
I dunno. People are always using the water as an argument for slowed growth. I dunno, last year they were using it as an reason for Houston, this year they were saying that the damns may not be able to keep back the high levels of water and may cause widespread flooding.

The problem with Houston is not the lack of water, its that they keep shrinking the flood plain. Houston has lots of area where they can harness the water from. I am not sure if ATL is the same, but I am sure that alternative sources could be created if housing didn't encroach on natural water catchment areas.

Houston is a naturally wet area. One of the wettest big cities in the country. If more people move to the core and they stop paving over the area as far as the eyes could see, the soil could be recharged and hydrated better and the area could easily water 10M people.

The new Loop under Construction (The Grand Parkway) will extend the urban area to ATL type levels (ATL's UA is 2600 sq miles, Houston's is 1600), but unfortunately it cuts through natural Prairie areas that hold lots of water. So we unfortunately have more massive flooding to look forward to. Their was even talk about making the highway function as a Dam.

Anyway, I don't think access to water will be as big a deal as it is made out to be. Innovation will step up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
Reputation: 8803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I disagree, but that's just me. If people are going to start saying Houston parallels the typical deep south culture, whatever that is, than Miami needs to be included in the conversation.
Do you see such a stark difference between Houston and Louisiana? Or is Louisiana not deep south to you? Miami has deep south culture, it's over shadowed by Caribbean and Latino culture but it's certainly there. I've seen it personally, I've met many people from south Florida and they all say the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Tysons Corner, VA by way of TEXAS
727 posts, read 1,027,849 times
Reputation: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I dunno. People are always using the water as an argument for slowed growth. I dunno, last year they were using it as an reason for Houston, this year they were saying that the damns may not be able to keep back the high levels of water and may cause widespread flooding.

The problem with Houston is not the lack of water, its that they keep shrinking the flood plain. Houston has lots of area where they can harness the water from. I am not sure if ATL is the same, but I am sure that alternative sources could be created if housing didn't encroach on natural water catchment areas.

Houston is a naturally wet area. One of the wettest big cities in the country. If more people move to the core and they stop paving over the area as far as the eyes could see, the soil could be recharged and hydrated better and the area could easily water 10M people.

The new Loop under Construction (The Grand Parkway) will extend the urban area to ATL type levels (ATL's UA is 2600 sq miles, Houston's is 1600), but unfortunately it cuts through natural Prairie areas that hold lots of water. So we unfortunately have more massive flooding to look forward to. Their was even talk about making the highway function as a Dam.

Anyway, I don't think access to water will be as big a deal as it is made out to be. Innovation will step up.
Well in Houston's case I'm not overly concerned because we don't have the issues that Atlanta has.

Atlanta's issue isn't necessarily access to water, but more water rights and who the water from the Chattahoochee and Lake Lanier belong to. I'm not familiar with the hydrology of the area but I have no reason to believe that the water issues are due to supply fears (with the exception of drought conditions).

I read up on the issue a bit and you're probably right.

Check it out if you're interested.

Tri-state water dispute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 02:44 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Reputation: 15172
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Well in Houston's case I'm not overly concerned because we don't have the issues that Atlanta has.

Atlanta's issue isn't necessarily access to water, but more water rights and who the water from the Chattahoochee and Lake Lanier belong to. I'm not familiar with the hydrology of the area but I have no reason to believe that the water issues are due to supply fears (with the exception of drought conditions).

I read up on the issue a bit and you're probably right.

Check it out if you're interested.

Tri-state water dispute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The court found in favor of Atlanta's rights to Lanier/ Chattahoochee water some months ago. Sorry to disappoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,627 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Reputation: 9576
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Do you see such a stark difference between Houston and Louisiana? Or is Louisiana not deep south to you? Miami has deep south culture, it's over shadowed by Caribbean and Latino culture but it's certainly there. I've seen it personally, I've met many people from south Florida and they all say the same.
I've seen many Louisianans on this very forum and other similar forums on the web that say the Southern part of the state is not the Deep South like the Northern part of the state and Mississippi because their culture is very different. Take it up with some of them. Miami does not market itself as a city in the Deep South. Neither does Houston. But again, I agreed to disagree earlier because this will not go anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,157,104 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I've seen many Louisianans on this very forum and other similar forums on the web that say the Southern part of the state is not the Deep South like the Northern part of the state and Mississippi because their culture is very different. Take it up with some of them. Miami does not market itself as a city in the Deep South. Neither does Houston. But again, I agreed to disagree earlier because this will not go anywhere.
What benefit would Miami or Houston get from marketing itself as being in the deep South.

Both market themselves as International Cities.

who the heck markets themselves as being a deep south city?

You can be both. Just because Houston and Miami grew out of the Deep south does not mean its no longer a part of it. It just means that times changed. The two got more advanced
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top