U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:19 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
What benefit would Miami or Houston get from marketing itself as being in the deep South.

Both market themselves as International Cities.

who the heck markets themselves as being a deep south city?

You can be both. Just because Houston and Miami grew out of the Deep south does not mean its no longer a part of it. It just means that times changed. The two got more advanced
Ding ding ding.

Marketing as deep south is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 06:16 PM

981 posts, read 1,978,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Which of the BIG 4 of Houston, Miami, Dallas and Atlanta has the most untapped potential, in terms of getting into that next level of an LA, SF and Chicago and jumping into that next tier of global cities.

Can Charlotte be in that convo as well, or is it a bit too premature?
I'm not sure what you mean by "megacity," but if it involves pushing for more population growth, please read this: Center for the Advancement of the Steady State Economy

If you mean "mega" in terms of quality, that's OK, but the word typically implies endless growth and runaway consumption, which is the opposite of what science tells us the human race should be chasing.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:04 PM

18,631 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
What benefit would Miami or Houston get from marketing itself as being in the deep South.

You can be both. Just because Houston and Miami grew out of the Deep south does not mean its no longer a part of it. It just means that times changed. The two got more advanced
I guess but I still disagree. Anyway, carry on.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:27 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,157,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I guess but I still disagree. Anyway, carry on.
You are more than welcome to disagree, even when you are wrong

Old 08-10-2012, 04:37 AM

274 posts, read 287,279 times
OK, hopefully moving on from the DC discussion. Of the four originally listed, here is my list going by my biased (as a transplanted Houstonian from the west) estimate of current population trends:

1. Dallas - regrettably, as a transplanted Houstonian, but its CSA is several hundred thousand ahead of us and growing at close to the same rate. At a current growth of 150,000+ people a year, Dallas will hit ten million in the early 2030s.

2. Houston - as long as oil is not transplanted by another source of energy, we may possibly get there in the same decade as Dallas. If by some miracle oil is replaced, then we might become the next Detroit. A really bad hurricane might bump us down the list, but we have had some bad ones and still have doubled our population every 30 years since the city was founded. Houston gets there in the far late 2030s assuming a current increase of 140,000 a year. My pride prohibits me from assuming anything later than that.

3. Atlanta - was growing at the same rate or more as the Texas powerhouses until recently - was more affected by the bad economy than us. Fortunately, it has a more diverse economy than Houston and has a good chance of gaining ground. If Atlanta continues increasing at 90,000+ people a year, it becomes a megalopolis in the 2050s.

4. Miami - I am not sure it will make it there as it hasn't much room to grow as the other places, unless it swallows areas to the north. Still, currently it is growing faster than Atlanta. At a 100,000+ people increase per year, Miami becomes a megalopolis close to the same time as Atlanta.

I used 2011 US census CSAs as a base in the above estimates. I also rounded down slightly the growth rates, except for Houston. Also, the increases are off due to spread from the census (April 2010) to 2011 estimates (July). This could add a few years to the above guestimates.

Finally, I don't logically see how Dallas and Houston can keep the current population boom going for another couple/few decades but I'll be a homer and maintain that it will. As I first said - my list is biased......

Old 08-10-2012, 04:56 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,664,574 times
^^^ Miami adds over 100K people a year?!

Old 08-10-2012, 07:52 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,796,452 times
Quote:

Miami was never really a part of the Deep South. Most definitions have only included North Florida.

Houston has always been more culturally southern than Miami.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:26 AM

18,631 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
You are more than welcome to disagree, even when you are wrong
Right back at cha.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:53 AM

886 posts, read 1,333,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post
OK, hopefully moving on from the DC discussion. Of the four originally listed, here is my list going by my biased (as a transplanted Houstonian from the west) estimate of current population trends:

1. Dallas - regrettably, as a transplanted Houstonian, but its CSA is several hundred thousand ahead of us and growing at close to the same rate. At a current growth of 150,000+ people a year, Dallas will hit ten million in the early 2030s.

2. Houston - as long as oil is not transplanted by another source of energy, we may possibly get there in the same decade as Dallas. If by some miracle oil is replaced, then we might become the next Detroit. A really bad hurricane might bump us down the list, but we have had some bad ones and still have doubled our population every 30 years since the city was founded. Houston gets there in the far late 2030s assuming a current increase of 140,000 a year. My pride prohibits me from assuming anything later than that.

3. Atlanta - was growing at the same rate or more as the Texas powerhouses until recently - was more affected by the bad economy than us. Fortunately, it has a more diverse economy than Houston and has a good chance of gaining ground. If Atlanta continues increasing at 90,000+ people a year, it becomes a megalopolis in the 2050s.

4. Miami - I am not sure it will make it there as it hasn't much room to grow as the other places, unless it swallows areas to the north. Still, currently it is growing faster than Atlanta. At a 100,000+ people increase per year, Miami becomes a megalopolis close to the same time as Atlanta.

I used 2011 US census CSAs as a base in the above estimates. I also rounded down slightly the growth rates, except for Houston. Also, the increases are off due to spread from the census (April 2010) to 2011 estimates (July). This could add a few years to the above guestimates.

Finally, I don't logically see how Dallas and Houston can keep the current population boom going for another couple/few decades but I'll be a homer and maintain that it will. As I first said - my list is biased......
Who told you Dallas is growing by 150k a year? It's really 120k per year. Those estimates you grabbed we're from April 2010 to July 2011, that's 15 months not 12.

Dallas and Houston are actually growing more slowly now. 110k for Houston is less than the average 120k it averaged per year last decade. Same goes for Dallas and Atlanta. Miami's sped up.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:39 PM

274 posts, read 287,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Who told you Dallas is growing by 150k a year? It's really 120k per year. Those estimates you grabbed we're from April 2010 to July 2011, that's 15 months not 12.

Dallas and Houston are actually growing more slowly now. 110k for Houston is less than the average 120k it averaged per year last decade. Same goes for Dallas and Atlanta. Miami's sped up.

US census bureau told me (see second to last paragraph of my post). Also, I admitted the dates so am aware of the discrepancy. As I said in multiple places, my estimates are biased.

Don't take this as me thinking I'm quoting gospel. These types of projections for population growth decades out are fraught with flaws, as growth rates can vary wildly. Any flawed, biased estimate can sometimes be as prophetic as an educated guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or