U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 PM

296 posts, read 484,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Would it hurt to wait til September? After all, a majority of September is still technically summer. Even early October would still be good. Most northerners are not anywhere near dealing with snow in October, despite that freakish event that occurred last October. Trees are in full color during early October throughout much of the northern states. Temperatures are in the 60s for highs. By the way, why would you want to go to a fair in the hot month of August? It kind of defeats the "fair atmosphere". I liken fair weather to football weather; crisp and cool.
I agree. Ohio has already had their state fair. Why go to the State Fair when Cedar Point and Kings Island are still open? Maybe I am just biased toward roller coasters??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 09:52 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,748,562 times
Growing up in the south, October was always one of my favorite months weather-wise. Seemed like a perfectly appropriate time for a fair.
In the upper midwest, you probably wouldn't want to wait that long. Some years might be okay, but it's highly unpredictable. It could easily be freezing and even snowy. The cold doesn't bother me, but even September might be a bit much for some people, in some years.
August usually is wind-down time for the heat, unlike the south where you've got another month or more past that. August in Wisconsin= late September/early October in much of the south.
Forecast for later this week in southern Wisconsin is highs in the 70's, and low's in the 50's. See? Late September weather.
In the north, they cram almost all their fairs and festivals in the time between Memorial and Labor days, state and county fairs included. Winters are long, and people come out of their hibernation in a big way before it gets cold again.
In the south, summers are long, and fair season is special because you can end the summer hibernation and finally go outside without a bucket of water to drink and a stack of towels to keep the sweat off.
I really did like that time of year down there. Football, school, county fairs, the summer funk is over... life came to life in autumn and things made sense if for just a little while.

Border states might be trickier. Missouri also has it's state fair this time of year, but it's usually still hot like July. I went one year and it seemed like they could stand to push it back to September.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:03 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,532,338 times
Quote:
School starts back (on average): August 6-15
Fair season starts (on average): September 25
Fair season ends (on average): November 15

Note that by the time fair season rolls around, students have been in class for almost a month and a half. It's too hot to enjoy a fair any earlier than late September. Thus, when do you figure that students should go back to school? October?

I understand that it's not as hot in the northern states as it is the southern states, but goodness, August in a northern state, barring Minnesota, is hotter than October in the South. Northerners attend fairs in the heat.
I don't mean to be rude, but have you spent much time in the North?

Back home in Minnesota, we would have first frost sometime in early October. First snow might be by the end of the month-- for sure by your November 15th deadline.

I also doubt that our August is colder than your October, unless your October is 80-90 degrees with 80% humidity?

Fairs are also a time to showcase livestock, crops, etc. Who wants to do that in October, when it's 40-50 degrees in Minnesota?

State Fair in Minnesota runs for 10 days, concluding Labor Day weekend. As others have mentioned, it's a final hurrah for kids going back to school. Minnesota state fair draws more people on an average day than any other state fair in the country. People don't seem to mind the weather. We are apparently doing something right

Old 08-06-2012, 10:37 PM

6,518 posts, read 7,459,650 times
Most county fairs here in Mi are always in August, like everywhere else in the upper midwest. Holding these events in Sept and Oct is risky this far north, the weather turns cooler and wetter in the fall. I love our cool crisp fall weather but you just dont know what your going to get at that time of year. October it is possible for snow here, although nothing serious. In a normal year, (not like this hot one) our summers are very nice and typical August weather is 80 degrees and sunny. Fall in the south on the other hand is warm and typically nice, where summer is typically brutal hot. Ive never figured out why they send thier kids to school down there in early August though with all that heat. Maybe someone from below the mason-dixon line can clear that one up for me.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:39 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,324,125 times
I've seen plenty of fairs in the South at least in NC and VA during the summer.

If your talking north like upstate New York or parts of Pennsylvania, or New England, its uncomfortably cold even by the end of September. In the Deep South, of course the humidity can be bad in August obviously.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:02 AM

34,682 posts, read 33,681,492 times
Quote:
This is something that I've wondered. When I think about fair season, I think about Autumn/Fall. There's a crispness, coolness in the air. The summer heat has relinquished and one can enjoy the exhibits and rides to the maximum.

Yet, I've noticed that many northern states have their state and county fairs in August, which makes little sense, since it is still summer.

Why is this the case for many northern states? In the South, state and county fairs occur from late September through November.
My county fair is in sweltering July. You couldn't drag me to it in that heat. It's when the kids are home from school.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
Quote:
This is something that I've wondered. When I think about fair season, I think about Autumn/Fall. There's a crispness, coolness in the air. The summer heat has relinquished and one can enjoy the exhibits and rides to the maximum.

Yet, I've noticed that many northern states have their state and county fairs in August, which makes little sense, since it is still summer.

Why is this the case for many northern states? In the South, state and county fairs occur from late September through November.
In the south they hold them later because it's too hot and humid. The north can get hot and humid (this year is obviously a big exeption since it's been hot the whole time) but normally it's in the mid 80's at best up north.

You say "fair season" is fall/autumn. That's because you're from the south. Up north "fair season" would be late summer. Fall/autumn is for pumpkin patches, apple orchards, football, leaves falling, etc. Jacket weather.

Also school is still out in august so there isn't that to worry about since many fairs are geared towards children.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:56 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've seen plenty of fairs in the South at least in NC and VA during the summer.

If your talking north like upstate New York or parts of Pennsylvania, or New England, its uncomfortably cold even by the end of September. In the Deep South, of course the humidity can be bad in August obviously.
How could it be that much different in new england than the Midwest? The Midwest is anywhere from 70 to 80 at the end of September. I can't imagine New England is that much colder.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:27 AM

14,988 posts, read 31,366,361 times
I was in the NYC area last October and I found it to be fairly pleasant.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
How could it be that much different in new england than the Midwest? The Midwest is anywhere from 70 to 80 at the end of September. I can't imagine New England is that much colder.
I don't think anywhere in New England is close to 80F at the end of September or even averages a daily high much above 70F (warmest New England stations are 70-71F). Here 69/44F. If it's cooler than usual it's close to jacket weather.

Our average last month was 86/61.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or