U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:20 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,897,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My county fair is in sweltering July. You couldn't drag me to it in that heat. It's when the kids are home from school.
So there is more to it than north/south apparently, although I'm sure that is part of the reason. I couldn't imagine going to the fair in July, even at night really. Not enough air moving and it would still be 80 with 80% humidity until midnight. It's hot enough in early September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
The Colorado State Fair starts Aug. 24. The county fairs are going on right now. Boulder County's just finished; Douglas County's is just starting (for example).

Old 08-08-2012, 10:32 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,226,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Growing up in the south, October was always one of my favorite months weather-wise. Seemed like a perfectly appropriate time for a fair.
In the upper midwest, you probably wouldn't want to wait that long. Some years might be okay, but it's highly unpredictable. It could easily be freezing and even snowy. The cold doesn't bother me, but even September might be a bit much for some people, in some years.
August usually is wind-down time for the heat, unlike the south where you've got another month or more past that. August in Wisconsin= late September/early October in much of the south.
Forecast for later this week in southern Wisconsin is highs in the 70's, and low's in the 50's. See? Late September weather.
In the north, they cram almost all their fairs and festivals in the time between Memorial and Labor days, state and county fairs included. Winters are long, and people come out of their hibernation in a big way before it gets cold again.
In the south, summers are long, and fair season is special because you can end the summer hibernation and finally go outside without a bucket of water to drink and a stack of towels to keep the sweat off.
I really did like that time of year down there. Football, school, county fairs, the summer funk is over... life came to life in autumn and things made sense if for just a little while.

Border states might be trickier. Missouri also has it's state fair this time of year, but it's usually still hot like July. I went one year and it seemed like they could stand to push it back to September.
I would say this same thing is applicable to much of the Lower Midwest in addition to Missouri. Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, and Nebraska could all afford to wait until September too. Also, central states is really a better term. Calling a state a border state in this day and age is like calling somebody a Republican based on what the term meant 150 years ago. All border states today lean either more southern, midwestern, or northeastern...that's an additional point as well...the North has never been unified in the sense of the South.

In this sense, MD, DE, and MO all lean to the midwest or northeast. Kentucky and West Virginia lean to the south.

Last edited by stlouisan; 08-08-2012 at 10:44 AM..

Old 08-08-2012, 03:12 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,746,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I would say this same thing is applicable to much of the Lower Midwest in addition to Missouri. Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, and Nebraska could all afford to wait until September too. Also, central states is really a better term. Calling a state a border state in this day and age is like calling somebody a Republican based on what the term meant 150 years ago. All border states today lean either more southern, midwestern, or northeastern...that's an additional point as well...the North has never been unified in the sense of the South.

In this sense, MD, DE, and MO all lean to the midwest or northeast. Kentucky and West Virginia lean to the south.
Border state seems fair enough to me. It's a cultural thing, nothing to do with the Civil War. Arkansas is southern. Iowa is northern/midwestern or whatever. Missouri is the middle and has elements of both, so the term border state seems logical.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:06 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,815,721 times
It is almost entirely dependent on the harvest season I think. Farmers are much too busy in the fall to attend or display at a state or county fair.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:25 PM

811 posts, read 823,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
It is almost entirely dependent on the harvest season I think. Farmers are much too busy in the fall to attend or display at a state or county fair.
Isn't that part of a fair? To display stuff, from yields of the harvest to livestock? How can one display stuff before harvest?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:34 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Isn't that part of a fair? To display stuff, from yields of the harvest to livestock? How can one display stuff before harvest?
Lots of things are coming in right now. My garden has ripe tomatoes, green beans, and we've dug up a few potatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or