Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times

Advertisements

Fairs are partly a place for kids to show livestock. It's much easier for kids to do that while school is out in the summer.

Down here in Texas, I always wonder how kids on ranches get away with missing so much school in January and February during rodeo season!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 08:40 AM

93,287 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Would it hurt to wait til September? After all, a majority of September is still technically summer. Even early October would still be good. Most northerners are not anywhere near dealing with snow in October, despite that freakish event that occurred last October. Trees are in full color during early October throughout much of the northern states. Temperatures are in the 60s for highs. By the way, why would you want to go to a fair in the hot month of August? It kind of defeats the "fair atmosphere". I liken fair weather to football weather; crisp and cool.
Like I mentioned in my earlier post, you have to think about the kids and they are more apt to go to the Fair when school isn't in session. Then, the weather aspect isn't as serious or rough as it is in the South in regards to Summer.

In the Fall, there are festivals, Football games and other events that people attend up here as well.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:44 AM

811 posts, read 1,054,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Like I mentioned in my earlier post, you have to think about the kids and they are more apt to go to the Fair when school isn't in session. Then, the weather aspect isn't as serious or rough as it is in the South in regards to Summer.

In the Fall, there are festivals, Football games and other events that people attend up here as well.
Don't you think that kids in the South have school to contend with? In fact, sometimes fairs provide coupons and or vouchers for kids to attend the fair. School also starts earlier in the south than it does up north (by mid August, everyone in many states has already gone back to school; some start as early as late July).

Old 08-03-2012, 08:47 AM

93,287 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Don't you think that kids in the South have school to contend with? In fact, sometimes fairs provide coupons and or vouchers for kids to attend the fair. School also starts earlier in the south than it does up north (by mid August, everyone in many states has already gone back to school; some start as early as late July).
I know that school starts earlier in the South and it doesn't make sense to me that they wait until kids are in school to have the state fair in those states. How are kids going to attend the state fair and concentrate on school at the same time?

Old 08-03-2012, 08:51 AM

811 posts, read 1,054,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I know that school starts earlier in the South and it doesn't make sense to me that they wait until kids are in school to have the state fair in those states. How are kids going to attend the state fair and concentrate on school at the same time?
School starts back (on average): August 6-15
Fair season starts (on average): September 25
Fair season ends (on average): November 15

Note that by the time fair season rolls around, students have been in class for almost a month and a half. It's too hot to enjoy a fair any earlier than late September. Thus, when do you figure that students should go back to school? October?

I understand that it's not as hot in the northern states as it is the southern states, but goodness, August in a northern state, barring Minnesota, is hotter than October in the South. Northerners attend fairs in the heat.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:10 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
In the Pacific Northwest the best most reliable sunny and dry weather is in August and September--so that's when all the big outdoors events are usually scheduled. By October things can start to get rainy or it can be dry--but in general the big events in the region are at the tail end of summer/early fall.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:44 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Don't you think that kids in the South have school to contend with?
As a youngster, my uncle used to exhibit at the Delaware State Fair every July. Each year, I would stay with his family that week and go to the fair every day. Not something that would have been possible if the event was held during the school year.

In regard to climate, I can also say this: As a 26 year resident of Texas, July weather in Delaware is fairly similar to October weather in Texas (when the Texas fair is held). As a few other posters have tired to explain, except for the occasional heat wave, summer in the north is seen as a glorious time to be outdoors, rather than something to be endured until the heat breaks in October.

All this seems intuitive me yet you don't seem satisfied with the insights provided. I'm starting to think you are more interested in your own opinion than in an answer to your OP. If you can't seem to make meaning from the information posted here, I guess you can chalk this up as another of life's great mysteries.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:52 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Because the winter sucks for that kind of thing.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:08 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
In regard to climate, I can also say this: As a 26 year resident of Texas, July weather in Delaware is fairly similar to October weather in Texas (when the Texas fair is held). As a few other posters have tired to explain, except for the occasional heat wave, summer in the north is seen as a glorious time to be outdoors, rather than something to be endured until the heat breaks in October.
Yes, exactly. Once you get north of the Sun Belt--summertime is the time of year for big outdoors events. Everything comes alive--and there's a reason why the big events in the NW and Midwest are in the summer. Because the chill and colder weather of Fall comes very quickly once you get to around October and November--and the days get much shorter. Parts of the Northwest and Upper Midwest and New England are further north than many of the major cities in Canada(Seattle's further north than Montreal and about the same lattitude as Quebec City)--so we're pretty far north up here.

In the Southwest it's different--even in Northern California, the Fall will often have some of the best weather--the fog on the coast is done and the heat of the summer inland has cooled down. Places like Phoenix and Las Vegas can be dreadfully hot in Summer, but by October the weather is down to more manageable warm temperatures for being outside.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:09 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
Quote:
By the way, why would you want to go to a fair in the hot month of August? It kind of defeats the "fair atmosphere". I liken fair weather to football weather; crisp and cool.
As someone who's only been to northern fairs, I can't imagine a cold or even mild weather fair. It seems to me like it should be hot so you can enjoy the breeze created by the rides and then go get some ice cream to cool you down further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.