Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 02:34 AM

617 posts, read 1,423,769 times

Advertisements

Just a quick question to fellow CDers, What is the reaction of people when you tell them about your fascination with cities? My girlfriend for example told me, that she thinks its stupid and pointless. Has anyone else gotten that "huh, who cares" reaction?

Last edited by dtownboogie; 01-06-2011 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: wrong punctuation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 02:46 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,438 times
Hahaha I know exactly what you mean. My dream has always been to find a girl with the same interest, or who can at least relate.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:49 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
I don't share. It is sort of eccentric.

In fact I'm not even sure there is a term for this or even a concept...its sort of an undefined subculture or interest or dare I say hobby. Sure, for people who are doing this for a living (say, architects or urban planners or academics like geographers and sociologists)...thats's there job.

But for people outside of these fields to be "into cities"? No. In fact I didn't know there was this whole "urbanist" intrest subculture until I got on the internet.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:08 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
I generally don't share, sometimes I will interject some "data" into a conversation then they are like how the hell do you know that.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
Just a quick question to fellow CDers, What is the reaction of people when you tell them about your fascination with cities? My girlfriend for example told me, that she thinks its stupid and pointless. Has anyone else gotten that "huh, who cares" reaction?
No offense, but that's a b*tchy thing to say if she's supposedly in love with you and supports you. There's nothing wrong with having a hobby/interest, and cities are no different. I recognize that this makes me a little different and perhaps weird, but it's also what distinguishes you from the next person and it could turn into your "life calling" if you pursue a career with it -- like I'm looking into! Don't let someboody else tell you how to feel about loving cities -- it's likely your "gift" and you should expose it, not hide it!

Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I generally don't share, sometimes I will interject some "data" into a conversation then they are like how the hell do you know that.
Totally! And sometimes somebody will say X, Y, or Z about a city and I'll be like, "that's not correct at all, it's actually...." Then of course they don't believe me because it's just my opinion, but in fact people like ourselves know these things because we spend hours a day looking at facts and opinions.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:12 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
This particular sub-forum, along with similar sites, is a haven for city geeks like us. Virtually no one outside of these forums cares about density, skylines, what is or isn't considered the South, etc.

As for myself, I came upon the forums while doing travel research. I found the forums rich in entertainment value, and henceforth I stayed. It's fun to watch e-thugs go at it!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:40 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
When I share a little bit, people are typically interested. Then when it becomes apparent as to how much time I spend researching, reading, etc., they can't relate and are surprised. It then becomes even more difficult when a city/urban planning topic comes up in general conversation (say with family), and I have so much to say. Then people become confused as to why I know so much about populations, infrastructure (e.g. different types of rail), trends, etc.

My wife and close friends are cool with it and like that I have so much info (especially when we travel), but they certainly cannot relate. I do have one friend who completed a degree in urban planning, so when we hang-out, we get consumed in talking about it....to be honest, we don't talk about much else...haha.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:23 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yea I've definitely done that a couple times. My good friends and a couple coworkers know I'm a nut when it comes to cities, but I don't really like to announce it.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:57 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea I've definitely done that a couple times. My good friends and a couple coworkers know I'm a nut when it comes to cities, but I don't really like to announce it.
Haha same... my gf says... "on that blue site again" I am a pretty big travel enthusiast so a lot of it is actually relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.