U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:05 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,345,186 times

Advertisements

Chicago winters aren't even that bad....to bad for the OP, Chicago is an amazing city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 10:09 PM

21,255 posts, read 30,528,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlythomas View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on Philly? One city I've never even visited but something about it seems so charming!
I wouldn't call it "charming", I lived there for 8 years. It's quite dirty and crime-ridden, plus outside of the historic area and a few other spots, not what one would call family-friendly.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:29 AM

3,008 posts, read 4,340,485 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster...please go easy on me! My family and I have lived in Atlanta for ten years and we are looking to get out (reasons: heat, doesn't seem to be progressing like we'd hoped, landlocked, too many strip malls and not enough walkability, public schools aren't great...)
Anyway, looking for a new start with two kids (10 and 8). Both myself and DH are self employed and can move anywhere. Here's a short list of what we're looking for:

1. Real feeling of community - walkability (to shops, restaurants, coffee...), sidewalks, friendly neighbors (great trick or treating!)
2. Good public schools - the whole Atlanta public school debacle has given us a lot of stress
3. Progressive minded - not too religious on any front, looking for accepting communities of creative people, writers, professors, entrepreneurs...
4. Proximity to a major city - happy to be out in a 'village' somewhere but it has to be less than 30 minutes by public transportation to a major city.
5. Water - would be nice...maybe less than an hour from some large body of H2O.
6. Open to all seasons but no killer winters. Which means Chicago is out.

Does this exist? Thank you for your thoughts!!
Well that rules out msp. From what u r asking, maybe clevelad would be ur best bet with the lake, semi decent transportation good schools outside of the city proper. I guess how small can the body of water be. Indy has horrible public trans and only one other county has public trans that meets up with indygo so you would need a dt or near eastside hood snd either try to get into an ips magnet or private school for the kiddos. So pub trans and large body of water rules it out as well as cbus. Might also try st. Louis

Old 08-04-2012, 07:32 AM

3,895 posts, read 4,585,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Well that rules out msp. From what u r asking, maybe clevelad would be ur best bet with the lake, semi decent transportation good schools outside of the city proper. I guess how small can the body of water be. Indy has horrible public trans and only one other county has public trans that meets up with indygo so you would need a dt or near eastside hood snd either try to get into an ips magnet or private school for the kiddos. So pub trans and large body of water rules it out as well as cbus. Might also try st. Louis
i dont think the OP is going to match every single criteria.
usually thats never the case so just like with everyone you need to prioritize which criteria you want. Compromising will make this process ALOT easier
Indy meets all your criteria except as Msam said huge huge body of water and wonderful public transportation.
Although Indy has some decent lakes like Eagle Creek res and Geist and Morse. Plus Monroe which is an hour south.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:45 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,712,017 times
Ithaca, NY.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:23 AM

25 posts, read 27,065 times
I know nothing is perfect. But Indy isn't on the short list. Sorry Broadrippleguy!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I know nothing is perfect. But Indy isn't on the short list. Sorry Broadrippleguy!
You have a short list? Maybe you should list it!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
its an average.
i know very well Lake effect snow can skew numbers.
right now where i live in South Bend oh boy you get a nice sustained band of Lake effect and say hello to 2 feet of snow in your yard. travel a couple of miles down the road and there barely is any snow.
That's downwind from the lake, Chicago is almost always upwind from the lake. Lake Effect Snow happens when weather systems track over the lake, strengthen, and spill out snow onto the land downwind from the lake (and in a very small band width and depth -- you can't get lake effect snow in Fort Wayne, for example).

Old 08-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Status: "Warrior fan no matter the roster" (set 6 days ago)

12,223 posts, read 10,464,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
you should think more beyond landlocked.
just cause a city is landlock doesnt mean it doesnt offer alot of wonderful amendities. Which Indy does offer alot and its americas most affordable city.
It sounds like the OP wants out of ATL due to the sprawl, so Indianapolis would not be a good choice.
Carly, you should consider Montclair NJ.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:54 AM

25 posts, read 27,065 times
Thanks! Here's a short list! Sorry, didn't think to do that!
Bethesda, MD
Somewhere near Philly
Los Angeles (We'd have to rent and majorly downsize and we're okay with that - would do beach communities as I hear schools are better in Santa Monica than LA)
Could be convinced to move to Chicago but am super nervous about winters (yes, I'm wimpy, never had to drive in snow before, but could learn ;0)
and anyplace else that are similar (towns in CT?)
Again, looking for walkable, friendly neighbors, progressive and near a big city!
Thanks so much for your thoughts so far!!! I know we're all over the map but that's why I'm looking for thoughts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or