U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 10:13 AM

56,639 posts, read 80,952,685 times

Advertisements

Another area that may work are the Rivertowns of Westchester County NY. Welcome to Historic Hudson River Towns! | Historic Hudson River Towns |

RivertownsGuide.com

Westchester Rivertowns Real Estate News

Westchester Rivertowns : Macaroni Kid

White Plains may work too: City of White Plains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 02:20 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,081,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlythomas View Post
Hi everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster...please go easy on me! My family and I have lived in Atlanta for ten years and we are looking to get out (reasons: heat, doesn't seem to be progressing like we'd hoped, landlocked, too many strip malls and not enough walkability, public schools aren't great...)
Anyway, looking for a new start with two kids (10 and 8). Both myself and DH are self employed and can move anywhere. Here's a short list of what we're looking for:

1. Real feeling of community - walkability (to shops, restaurants, coffee...), sidewalks, friendly neighbors (great trick or treating!)
2. Good public schools - the whole Atlanta public school debacle has given us a lot of stress
3. Progressive minded - not too religious on any front, looking for accepting communities of creative people, writers, professors, entrepreneurs...
4. Proximity to a major city - happy to be out in a 'village' somewhere but it has to be less than 30 minutes by public transportation to a major city.
5. Water - would be nice...maybe less than an hour from some large body of H2O.
6. Open to all seasons but no killer winters. Which means Chicago is out.

Does this exist? Thank you for your thoughts!!
Ummmm...I know the perfect place. Atlanta! Maybe you should move to a different part of Atlanta.

1. Have you ever spent time in the northeast? Atlanta is way friendlier.
2. Maybe a good magnet program is the trick?
3. Oh honey. Spend some time in south Georgia (or better yet Alabama or South Carolina) then we'll talk. Suburban Atlanta is indeed conservative but there are plenty of progressive people in some of the intown neighborhoods of Atlanta. I've met plenty of creative types in Atlanta. I mean look at all the singers, rappers, and actors that hail from the ATL.
4. I love that in places like Midtown and Little Five Points you can walk to things.
5. Well you have Lake Lanier.
6. I'm a native Georgian so I always felt like we got all four seasons growing up. Although I kinda see what you mean. It's August you're just hot have some ice tea dear. You'll have the last laugh when those Chicagoans are shoveling snow in a few months. Still beats Texas.

So yeah I think you should take another look at some of the intown neighborhoods in Atlanta.

I don't know what part of town you're in but it sounds like you're a city kitty who has no business outside the Perimeter.

Other places I'd suggest:

Gotta endorse my own neck of the woods Washington DC. A cute row house on Capitol Hill would do the trick. We have the metro. Capitol Hill is very progressive and there are plenty of kids for your little ones to play with. However they go to private school DC schools have the worst reputation in the country people who can't afford private school move to the DC suburbs which by contrast have the best school districts in the country. So DC can be the land of the haves and have nots. The summers aren't that better. It gets just as hot as Atlanta the only difference is there's variety in the summer. Not every single day is oppressively hot like Georgia. I definitely love living in the DC area but it ain't cheap.

Someone mentioned Baltimore. Cheaper alternative to DC but I personally don't know Baltimore that well except for the Harbor. Still Baltimore is up and coming. Also your money will go a lot further but it's still kinda expensive compared to Atlanta. Again their suburbs have some of the best school districts in the country. You're also right on Chesapeake Bay. The Baltimore Harbor is way better than Lake Lanier.

I just got back from a beach weekend in Delaware and boy oh boy was it relaxing and fun. Rehoboth Beach, DE is really nice. I had more adult fun bar hopping and such but it isn't really rowdy so you still see plenty of families. Dewey Beach, the town next door, is a little more rowdy and the few year round residents have had just about enough of litter and puke in their front yards (so says the Washington Post). Rehoboth has this quiet feel. I'm always so relaxed from the moment I arrive to the moment I leave. Also there's no sales tax in Delaware.

Maybe the west coast is the place for you? Seattle and Portland both have lots of walkable neighborhood and good public transportation.

My former roommate moved to Boulder, CO to open a medical marijuana store (isn't that the darnedest thing) and she always speaks favorably of that area.

I still think you may want to take another look at your adopted hometown before you pack up and move. Either way good luck.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:32 PM

23,099 posts, read 35,052,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Ummmm...I know the perfect place. Atlanta! Maybe you should move to a different part of Atlanta.

1. Have you ever spent time in the northeast? Atlanta is way friendlier.
2. Maybe a good magnet program is the trick?
3. Oh honey. Spend some time in south Georgia (or better yet Alabama or South Carolina) then we'll talk. Suburban Atlanta is indeed conservative but there are plenty of progressive people in some of the intown neighborhoods of Atlanta. I've met plenty of creative types in Atlanta. I mean look at all the singers, rappers, and actors that hail from the ATL.
4. I love that in places like Midtown and Little Five Points you can walk to things.
5. Well you have Lake Lanier.
6. I'm a native Georgian so I always felt like we got all four seasons growing up. Although I kinda see what you mean. It's August you're just hot have some ice tea dear. You'll have the last laugh when those Chicagoans are shoveling snow in a few months. Still beats Texas.

So yeah I think you should take another look at some of the intown neighborhoods in Atlanta.
Glad you said what I was thinking. The fact that the OP displays such a limited knowledge of Atlanta makes me suspicious that she even lives there.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Glad you said what I was thinking. The fact that the OP displays such a limited knowledge of Atlanta makes me suspicious that she even lives there.
Yeah I was kinda thinking that this person hasn't spent much time outside their little suburb. Atlanta is pretty progressive. It's a blue island. I absolutely love Little Five Points.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I could be wrong, but the intown areas of the metro might be a little too "ethnic" for carlythomas. I would suggest Portland (Maine or Oregon would do).
Oh dear. I certainly hope not. Although I don't think of intown neighborhoods like Inman Park, Little Five Points, Virginia Highlands or Midtown as being "ethnic".

Old 08-07-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I could be wrong, but the intown areas of the metro might be a little too "ethnic" for carlythomas. I would suggest Portland (Maine or Oregon would do). I say this because a complaint about an urban school system as well as a complaint about the culture of religion are somewhat of a dead-givaway. Read between the lines folks; that's all I'm saying...
So the OP wants a more progressive, urban environment but not too ethnic? Oslo might do it.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:58 PM

25 posts, read 27,015 times
Wouldn't expect such judgement from members of my own community. Shame on you guys!
Well, sorry to disappoint you but I *have* lived here for quite some time. I also went to high school here at GASP! Grady! OH MY! So I'm VERY familiar with in-town communities, I'm quite aware of the differences between "my little suburb" and the rest of the city and I don't feel that just because podunk {insert random Southern town} hasn't risen out of the 1960s that Atlanta has advanced above and beyond where it needs to be, both in terms of progression and walkability, especially when compared to some of the other cities we are considering. So I have plenty of reasons behind my wanting to move. Atlanta is a very nice city. I'm glad I lived here but I'm ready to move on. I've lived in big cities before and I'm at a crossroads because I'm at a different point in my life...with kids...with kids who deserve a top notch education and life experience commensurate with other big cities. Not be subjected to the insanity that has befallen GA schools. Don't even get me started on this front....

So, again, much appreciate the advice given to me by the other posters and am saddened to hear that fellow Atlantans are so territorial of this city that they can't chime in with anything other than "I question whether you really live here!" So much for the friendly South!

Quote:

Old 08-07-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
So the OP wants a more progressive, urban environment but not too ethnic? Oslo might do it.
Please don't misquote me. I never said this.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlythomas View Post
Wouldn't expect such judgement from members of my own community. Shame on you guys!
Well, sorry to disappoint you but I *have* lived here for quite some time. I also went to high school here at GASP! Grady! OH MY! So I'm VERY familiar with in-town communities, I'm quite aware of the differences between "my little suburb" and the rest of the city and I don't feel that just because podunk {insert random Southern town} hasn't risen out of the 1960s that Atlanta has advanced above and beyond where it needs to be, both in terms of progression and walkability, especially when compared to some of the other cities we are considering. So I have plenty of reasons behind my wanting to move. Atlanta is a very nice city. I'm glad I lived here but I'm ready to move on. I've lived in big cities before and I'm at a crossroads because I'm at a different point in my life...with kids...with kids who deserve a top notch education and life experience commensurate with other big cities. Not be subjected to the insanity that has befallen GA schools. Don't even get me started on this front....

So, again, much appreciate the advice given to me by the other posters and am saddened to hear that fellow Atlantans are so territorial of this city that they can't chime in with anything other than "I question whether you really live here!" So much for the friendly South!
Did you really expect no retort to this thread? I find the whole thing rather obtuse and perplexing. I too am an Atlanta native and have a hard time understanding how another one could have missed so much. I frankly sense that Atlanta isnt the problem.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:16 PM

wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or