U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:31 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,334,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Did you really expect no retort to this thread? I find the whole thing rather obtuse and perplexing. I too am an Atlanta native and have a hard time understanding how another one could have missed so much. I frankly sense that Atlanta isnt the problem.
You're not respecting the fact that she's NOT into Atlanta as much as you are. Your "retort" should have been to suggest places that may suit her that are not Atlanta (because she's tried ATL).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 10:46 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,804,364 times
Not a big fan of Atlanta. Many a headhunter has tried to recruit me into the place, but the city is a remarkably hard place to live compared to other even larger cities.

Despite MARTA and the nearly continuous improvements to the freeway, the metro area is kind of an ill-planned sprawl, one where the suburbs continue to metastasize. Out in the suburbs, you literally have to time when to leave one neighborhood during the week in order to avoid astonishingly heavy traffic. And I've lived in larger cities.

Hey, if you're single or without kids or make lots of money, the area within 285 is great. But if you don't fit those criteria? Not so much. Pretty much any town with some kind of coherent city planning will make a good alternative.

Last edited by cpg35223; 08-08-2012 at 10:54 AM..

Old 08-08-2012, 10:54 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,327,584 times
Just go to an airport if you want direction. The plane will take you north to the sky and you'll eventually land south in a city of your choice

Old 08-08-2012, 02:30 PM

22,242 posts, read 23,751,992 times
Your instinct was pretty good with Philly though you cut it from your shortlist. The inner city schools generally aren't so good, but they aren't all bad and there are other solutions. You also said living out of the city proper is fine, and Philly has a very extensive commuter rail system and some very good communities along those lines (look up the Main Line for Philadelphia).

Another option you haven't put in is Seattle which meets all of your criteria except for the city being a little bit smaller (though often looks and feels much larger than it is and you have two sizable cities nearby in Vancouver and Portland to visit). The winter is not brutal as its actually tempered by proximity to the ocean, but it is cloudy.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:09 PM

25 posts, read 27,042 times
Thank you everyone!

Old 08-09-2012, 05:59 AM

25 posts, read 43,468 times
Hi Carly,
I was a PA resident most of my life, and moved to NJ in '95. I think you may find what you and your family are looking for in the PA or NJ suburbs. Philadelphia is a very cool city. . .you should visit and take in the sights, maybe consider a long weekend trip. I lived in the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood there from the late 80's into the mid-90's. Prices are high to live downtown, and maybe not the best scene for kids in terms of the trick-0r-treating:-) and the public schools (many professionals who live there tend to go private).
If you visit Phila, jump on PATCO, the high-speed line train, and ride over the river to NJ. Get off in Haddonfield and take a look around--it's beautiful, walkable, has 2 coffee places--a Starbucks, a small mom-and-pop called Jersey Java, and soon to have a Saxby's Coffee branch--making it 3 coffee spots in the town! Google Haddonfield and it will take you to the town's website. Public schools are top-rated, 3 elementary, 1 middle, 1 high school, no buses, as it's a "walking district". Diverse community of professionals,creative types, families young and older. Drive time to the Jersey Shore beaches? 1-2 hours, depending on which 1 you choose to visit. The only downside? High property taxes--those taxes are what funds the school systems in NJ. Moorestown is also quite popular, close to the city, but doesn't have the train access. . .and is a little larger.
If you prefer PA, check out the Main Line towns of Narberth, Haverford, Rosemont, and Villanova--they also rate high on walkable neighborhoods, and are easily accessed by train from Center City Philadelphia. The last 3 are home to colleges of same name.
The only criteria hard to define is the one about winters. Some of our winters have been cold and snowier than Chicago! Others are very mild--last winter we barely needed coats and never saw snow.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 AM

56,843 posts, read 81,169,050 times
Perhaps places like Newark DE and Piscataway in NJ could work too.

Newark Schools - Newark Delaware School Ratings - Public and Private
Newark, DE - Official Website
Newark, Delaware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome to the Christina School District!

Piscataway Schools - Piscataway, NJ | GreatSchools
Home | Piscataway Township
Piscataway, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Piscataway Schools

Communities near Piscataway and New Brunswick, which is where Rutgers is located, like Edison, the other Brunswick's and other Middlesex County communities could also work. New Jersey schools - NJ elementary, middle and high school information

Also, this could help in terms of viewing the walkability of a community: Get Your Walk Score - Find Walkable Apartments and Rentals

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-09-2012 at 07:54 AM..

Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 AM

46 posts, read 30,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlythomas View Post
Hi everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster...please go easy on me! My family and I have lived in Atlanta for ten years and we are looking to get out (reasons: heat, doesn't seem to be progressing like we'd hoped, landlocked, too many strip malls and not enough walkability, public schools aren't great...)
Anyway, looking for a new start with two kids (10 and 8). Both myself and DH are self employed and can move anywhere. Here's a short list of what we're looking for:

1. Real feeling of community - walkability (to shops, restaurants, coffee...), sidewalks, friendly neighbors (great trick or treating!)
2. Good public schools - the whole Atlanta public school debacle has given us a lot of stress
3. Progressive minded - not too religious on any front, looking for accepting communities of creative people, writers, professors, entrepreneurs...
4. Proximity to a major city - happy to be out in a 'village' somewhere but it has to be less than 30 minutes by public transportation to a major city.
5. Water - would be nice...maybe less than an hour from some large body of H2O.
6. Open to all seasons but no killer winters. Which means Chicago is out.

Does this exist? Thank you for your thoughts!!
Well you will be out of the Deep South since it's the Bible belt. If you feel Chicago winters are too cold, then this limits your options on the faith front. You're probably looking at somewhere out west. California real estate in the valley is much cheaper than a few years ago. You don't have much in the way of the Christian environment out there, and therefore it will meet your liberal tastes. But if you want to be less than 30 miles from a major city, you will be paying a lot more in real estate. It seems like you have some decisions to make

Old 08-09-2012, 07:57 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,334,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post
Well you will be out of the Deep South since it's the Bible belt. If you feel Chicago winters are too cold, then this limits your options on the faith front. You're probably looking at somewhere out west. California real estate in the valley is much cheaper than a few years ago. You don't have much in the way of the Christian environment out there, and therefore it will meet your liberal tastes. But if you want to be less than 30 miles from a major city, you will be paying a lot more in real estate. It seems like you have some decisions to make
The West has a strong Evangelical Lutheran culture, actually. Arguably the most verbal and outspoken Christian sect! (No offense intended, btw).

Old 08-09-2012, 08:41 AM

783 posts, read 1,208,551 times
Portland, OR was the first place that popped into my head. Cheaper than Seattle but definitely the same type of scenery and climate. Not sure if it's a large enough city for you, but check it out if you've never been there, I think you'd like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or