U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:33 AM

19 posts, read 25,076 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in hearing peoples ideas for me on which area I should consider looking into that would be better suited for me and my likes.

I'm a senior in high school and am looking into colleges preferably in the north, on either coast. I live in the most northern point (seems like it at least) of Minnesota in a town of 6,500 people and three hours from any good city life. There is no culture in my town, nor are there hardly any people with goals and plans bigger than getting the biggest deer hunting this winter or snowmobiling/four-wheeling/fishing. Needless to say, this is not the area for me. That is why I need your help! (:

I live in Minnesota. I don't mind extreme cold and lots of snow. What I do mind is the heat. I've lived in the Fresno/Clovis area of California and that was way to hot for me. My perfect temperature is in the 60's.

I like beautiful greenery. Trees are a must have. Green trees. Lots and lots of trees please.

I like to read. I love bookstores. I like live music. I like open-minded people who accept everyone.

I'm going to school to major in marketing and minor is something like graphic design. I like artsy people.

I grew up in a small town and learned to drive in a small town. Traffic is not my friend, yet. Densely urban areas probably aren't good for me yet.

I would prefer a more friendly atmosphere if possible. I'll be moving someplace completely new to me and it would be nice to be around people who look you in the eye and smile when grocery shopping, etc. I hear NY isn't the most friendliest place when it comes to stuff like that. Which, it doesn't bug me that places are like that. It's just because I'm not used to anything but generally friendly people and it's a new experience for me, I'd like to see a bit of that in a new city, you know?

Based on all of this, I have a feeling the Northwest is probably the area for me, but as I have never been further then Ohio on the east coast, I couldn't really give up on the east coast yet.

If you guys could name some metro areas that seem to have the same vibe that I like, that would be greatly appreciated. I've been to Portland and liked it, but wasn't there long enough to get what kind of atmosphere it had. So, Portland? Seattle? Philadelphia? NYC? I just don't know. Any insight would be awesome? Any rude comments would not be awesome and are discouraged. Please, if you are going to say something, make sure it's nice or helpful.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys have in mind for me! (:

Last edited by kelseybee17; 08-04-2012 at 12:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 03:08 AM

177 posts, read 235,867 times
Do you want a perfect utopia?

Old 08-04-2012, 06:37 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,668,387 times
Your requirements aren't too flexible. Just be a champ and go to college in NYC. Central Park has enough trees for me. You'll like all the energy and big buildings. Lots of people from everywhere. Temperatures do go above 60 in the summer but c'mon, it's summer.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:24 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Boston in my opinion would be your best bet. It ticks all of your criteria. Trees (lots of them), lots of thriving bookstores, a diverse population from all over the world with many educated/artsy/open-minded people, a rich living history and it's one of the top cultural cities in the world. There are 50 colleges/universities within 50 square miles so it's truly a large college town. It is dense, but one does not need a car as it's very walkable (and bike-friendly) and has excellent public transit. In fact a car is more a nuisance than a perk. If you really want to expand your horizons and see a bit of the world versus sticking with what's old and familiar, Boston would be the place for you I think. Check out Northeastern University and their well-regarded cooperative program. Good luck!

250,000 College Students in Boston
Boston Area Colleges - Boston Area Universities
Cooperative Education | Northeastern University Experiential Learning

Old 08-04-2012, 07:28 AM

6,413 posts, read 10,386,904 times
The northwest sounds like a good fit for you. Not cold, but rainy winters. Dry summers, low humidity, and rarely gets really hot. Lots of greenery, books, music, etc.

Seattle is a big city. Traffic is horrid. So I don't think it'd be a good fit for you.

Portland is smaller. Traffic not as bad. It's a definite possibility. Several universities from which to choose.

Or, you might want to look at Eugene. More-or-less the same vibe as Portland, but smaller.

Do you know what you want to study at a state school, private school, community college? That might change your choice.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:30 AM

56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
If yo don't mind smaller cities with colleges and some culture, Ithaca NY, Burlington VT, Amherst and Northampton in MA, as well as magnesium like Durham and Hanover in NH and Old Town/Orono ME are Northeastern college towns that may fit what you need.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Boston in my opinion would be your best bet. It ticks all of your criteria. Trees (lots of them), lots of thriving bookstores, a diverse population from all over the world with many educated/artsy/open-minded people, a rich living history and it's one of the top cultural cities in the world. There are 50 colleges/universities within 50 square miles so it's truly a large college town. It is dense, but one does not need a car as it's very walkable (and bike-friendly) and has excellent public transit. In fact a car is more a nuisance than a perk. If you really want to expand your horizons and see a bit of the world versus sticking with what's old and familiar, Boston would be the place for you I think. Check out Northeastern University and their well-regarded cooperative program. Good luck!

250,000 College Students in Boston
Boston Area Colleges - Boston Area Universities
Cooperative Education | Northeastern University Experiential Learning
Thank you! This is very helpful and you've convinced me enough to look into all the colleges/university's that are located near Boston to see if I find one that will suit me and what I'm looking into studying. Thanks again!

Old 08-04-2012, 01:03 PM

56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Here's an interesting list of top marketing schools: Top 20 Best Undergraduate Marketing College Ranking in 2010 - US College Rankings

Here's a list for graphic design: Top 50 Graphic Design Schools and Colleges « Top Graphic Arts Design Designer Schools, Web Design Schools Online

Old 08-05-2012, 12:17 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,225,055 times
If you like NYC and Boston check out Philly too. It's got great universities, the NE big city vibe, and is more affordable for a kid on a college budget.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
If you like NYC and Boston check out Philly too. It's got great universities, the NE big city vibe, and is more affordable for a kid on a college budget.
Thanks! I'll definitely check Philadelphia too. (:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or