U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:26 PM

225 posts, read 388,940 times

Advertisements

My wife and I moved to Columbus, Ohio from Houston, Texas and we absolutely love it. It is a very vibrant city with a strong economy. It is a progressive city with a lot of walkable neighborhoods. You would also love the art and fashion scene that has developed here. I think you should definitely give Columbus, Ohio strong consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 07:29 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,513,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I'd have suggested Austin, but you said you wanted good weather. Lol
My thoughts exactly, though if they want a warmer area they should go for it.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:34 PM

107 posts, read 175,841 times
I actually just applied for a really good job that's right up my alley in Omaha...so here's to hoping!

Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
My thoughts exactly, though if they want a warmer area they should go for it.
If I somehow secured a job I would.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:21 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,090,539 times
What about Dallas or Houston if she's in Nursing Houston has one of the largest medical centers in the world

Dallas Hotels, Restaurants, Events and Things to Do | Dallas CVB

Home - Dallas Regional Chamber

Houston Hotels, Events, Things to Do - Official Vacation Info - Visit Houston Texas

Greater Houston Partnership | Advocacy for Houston's Business Community | GHP

Texas Medical Center | World Leaders in Patient Care, Research, Education and Prevention since 1945 | Houston, TX Texas Medical Center

Old 08-08-2012, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the other Texas suggestions. I don't really have much desire to live anywhere else in Texas other than Austin really. My short list for areas I'm trying to look into more are:

Fargo (mostly only for the low unemployment/COL , not too keen on the isolation/weather)
Omaha
Twin Cities and other places in Minnessota
And I'm also still looking at places closer to here - STL, Champaign, Chicago area
Still kind of looking at Austin and Portland

All of its really going to come down to where I can secure a job though. Any other suggestions?

Old 08-08-2012, 01:59 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
If you can find a job, Ithaca NY would work. It is a smaller college town, but it fits pretty much all of your criteria. It would put you within 4-5 hours of NYC and other major cities in the Northeast and Canada as well. It does have a below average unemployment too. Visit Ithaca, NY - Official Site for Ithaca, NY & Tompkins County

http://www.gallerynightithaca.com/

Ithaca Art Trail: Home

Castaways Music Schedule

Home : Chapter House

Welcome to The Haunt.com : Home of Razorback BBQ!

M&T Bank Downtown Summer Concert Series > DIA Sponsored Events > Downtown Ithaca Alliance

The State Theatre of Ithaca, NY

Kitchen Theatre Company, Ithaca, NY

Home • Hangar Theatre • Ithaca, NY

You may find something in areas close by or in other parts of the state as well. Perhaps something like this: Applicant Tree

Old 08-09-2012, 10:44 AM

I am also open to somewhat smaller areas... or large towns...maybe the equivalent to a Bloomington, Indiana...It was bigger than my hometown but not a city and I liked the diversity and openness but things just didn't work out. Hopefully I will know next week if I will get an interview for the position I applied for in Omaha.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:52 PM

I just came upon this thread in another thread on this forum that is discouraging to how I hope Omaha would be. While if I get the job I will move there regardless but is this person right about it being ultra conservative?
Ready to leave Omaha...

Old 08-09-2012, 07:54 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdagarim View Post
Thanks for the other Texas suggestions. I don't really have much desire to live anywhere else in Texas other than Austin really. My short list for areas I'm trying to look into more are:

Fargo (mostly only for the low unemployment/COL , not too keen on the isolation/weather)
Omaha
Twin Cities and other places in Minnessota
And I'm also still looking at places closer to here - STL, Champaign, Chicago area
Still kind of looking at Austin and Portland

All of its really going to come down to where I can secure a job though. Any other suggestions?
If you're open to the Twin Cities you should apply there. Most people who have even a BAD attitude about the Twin Cities or MN generally end up loving it. IOW, it's a very livable city and has always been a strong employment center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or