U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 PM

107 posts, read 175,953 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I've been actively looking at listings in the Twin Cities area as well. Haven't seen much yet as far as a job goes yet though. What is IOW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 09:27 AM

bumping incase anyone has more ideas

Old 08-17-2012, 01:22 PM

Anyone else? I'm losing hope on the job I was hoping for in Omaha but its still at the top as far as places to look go. Any good things about Salt Lake City?

Old 08-17-2012, 03:59 PM

Or the Kansas City area? Ames Iowa?

Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 AM

I'm coming to the conclussion that's it's near impossible to get a job in a new area without already living there.. So I'm basically saving up while continuing research. What do you all think about the Denver area? I know it meets some criteria but I'm not sure if the cost of living is low enough?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Status: "Summertime, and the living's easy" (set 26 days ago)

2,114 posts, read 591,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdagarim View Post
I'm coming to the conclussion that's it's near impossible to get a job in a new area without already living there.. So I'm basically saving up while continuing research. What do you all think about the Denver area? I know it meets some criteria but I'm not sure if the cost of living is low enough?
I love Denver. It is one of my favorite places in the US. Col is a little higher, but it more than makes up for it by having the Rocky Mountains nearby. In my opinion. My wife and I have it on our short list. There is plenty to do indoor and outdoor, the people were friendly, its clean clean clean, and seems like a great place to live.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:29 PM

I've also been thinking of St. Louis as another option because it's not far and I'm at least vaguely familiar with the area. The cons would definitely be the higher unemployment and the crime rate.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:26 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,092,825 times
Portland Oregon

Old 09-27-2012, 10:25 PM

3,939 posts, read 7,526,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdagarim View Post
I am in my mid 20's and my fiance and I..and our dog are trying to figure out our next move. . . .

Decent cost of living
Low crime
Low unemployment
Affordable rent
Not horrible weather 24/7
Decent art scene
Progressive and at least somewhat liberal
Somewhere that is growing
Open-minded people
LGBTQ (poly) friendly
Live music venues

With that being said I have had someone we know mention Fargo, ND and may be able to help get one of us a job (11/hr +benefits). It doesn't seem like a lot for a ft job, but I don't know really. My biggest concerns with Fargo is that it's so far from everything and the closest larger city (Minneapolis) is 4 hours away. I'm used to having St. Louis and Indianapolis within 1.5 hours and Chicago within 4. I just can't live here in these small conservative towns in central Illinois. Maybe I want too much and like I said it will come down to where the jobs are but I don't want to hate where I live. If anyone has any thoughts or opinions it's greatly appreciated.

Where does your dog think you should go?

Low unemployment: Fargo, ND, but you already know that. Durham, NC, doesn't have some other things on your list.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:15 PM

42 posts, read 141,290 times
Im also looking for alot of the things you are and I have been doing alot of research into Michigan..Grand Rapids all the way up to the Traverse City area...you should check it out...it's gorgeous, has a lower COL then most places and the job market is picking up. The art scene near Holland seems to be nice too. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or