U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 06:33 AM

107 posts, read 175,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Where does your dog think you should go?

Low unemployment: Fargo, ND, but you already know that. Durham, NC, doesn't have some other things on your list.
Haha, well I was mainly just stating that we would be moving with a dog. I actually tried to have a conversation with him last night about it but he seemed pretty clueless, I know he doesn't like our current situation though. He has anxiety and dog aggression issues or else dog friendly would be a big requirement. I would like to move somewhere were renting a house wouldn't cost all of my arms and legs. Fargo is definitely the lowest unemployment but the more I think about it I feel it won't be right for us. I am actually trying to plan a day or two trip to Omaha to check that area out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 09:09 AM

42 posts, read 141,056 times
Just a few links to look at...I hope these work...my partner and I are both CNAs..I know you mentioned your gf might go to school for this..the average wage for CNAs in MI is 12.69 hr..if you shop around craigs and zillow.com rentals are are really cheap

THE OFFICIAL TRAVEL AND TOURISM SITE OF THE SAUGATUCK AND DOUGLAS MICHIGAN CONVENTION AND VISITORS BUREAU

Things To Do | Activities Northern Michigan - Traverse City

About Grand Rapids | Grand Rapids, Michigan

Old 09-28-2012, 09:30 AM

3,932 posts, read 7,516,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Durham, NC, doesn't have some other things on your list.
Oops. I meant, Durham, NC doesn't have low unemployment, but does have some other things on your list.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:29 AM

983 posts, read 1,427,847 times
I feel that Fargo would be a horrible choice for you. It seems like the only thing on your list it has is a job. If I were you, I would consider Sioux Falls, SD or the Twin Cities. Sioux Falls has a metro population of around 240,000 people and is the 47th fastest growing city in the country. Also, the cost of living index for Sioux Falls is 82.8, Fargo's is 101.1, and Minneapolis is around 112. All cities do have nasty winters, but Sioux Falls will be a little bit more mild because it is more South. Sioux Falls's unemployment rate is 4% compared to Fargo's 2.8%, compared to Minneapolis's 5.3%, but all are significantly better than the US average. Neither Fargo or Sioux Falls is "liberal," but judging by the 2008 election result, Fargo appears to be slightly more. If you want to live in a more liberal, progressive area, I would recommend the Twin Cites. But Omaha is a great choice too! It's very similar to Sioux Falls, but a lot bigger. It just depends on what's most important to you.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:43 PM

I think low risk, low COL with a good chance of being able to get a decent job within a month or so while not feeling completely out of place are the most important things. I've heard a lot of good things about the Twin Cities but along with the Denver area it also also quite a bit more expensive than places like Omaha yet relatively cheap when compared to Chicago and New York.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 AM

So I just visited Omaha for a few days. It didn't scream "this is where you need to be!" But with that being said it does seem fairly nice. Very clean, lots of different areas, Old Market is interesting and the zoo is nice. 2 full days isn't enough I'm sure. For whatever reason I had a hard time navigating some areas, even with a GPS but that was mostly around where our hotel was and Dodge seemed weird. We also hit Lawrence KS for a day which is more my size of a city that I'm used to. It's very nice too but my fear would be ending up in the same situation as we did in Bloomington, IN though the unemployment is slightly lower in Lawrence.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:18 AM

56,510 posts, read 80,803,243 times
This thread may help: Upstate NY job openings......

Old 12-03-2012, 11:13 AM

Bump to see if anyone has any new suggestions? I'm currently still working a part time job here in south central Illinois. I have about 2k saved up but not nearly enough to move without a job. Lately I've been trying to see if there are any viable places in Illinois since if my fiance gets a CNA license in Illinois it doesn't transfer to every state and some states (Nebraska included) require you to completely retake everything from our understanding. I know unemployment and stuff is pretty dismal in this state and there arent a lot of liberal areas outside of Chicago, well there is Carbondale and Champaign-Urbana and possibly Bloomington-Normal (though idk how liberal it is really). I think I read B-N had better unemployment than a lot of the state but I'm not sure. I've also read a lot lately about some places in Pennsylvania having a few decent places but I don't think the unemployment is good, but it would put us closer to the east coast.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,239,965 times
Have you ever thought about Cape Girardeau?

Old 12-03-2012, 03:59 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,897,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Have you ever thought about Cape Girardeau?
Doesn't fit the OP's criteria at all. It's a very conservative town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or