U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 05:33 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,153,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Regarding Houston,
I've done a little reasearch into it. I was pretty sure I was going to come back with a decisive "houston, you're disqualified!"" but I'm really not able to do that just yet. Houston does clearly have some neighborhoods for people based on their religions and sexual orientation as well as.... Where do young professionals live in Houston?

but I'm still not ready to call it.

But I probably will.
Houston has no neighborhoods based on Religion.

We do have a gay neighborhood, but you think it is only gay people living there? No Montrose is probably 75% straight. It is the area where a higher than average gay owned businesses are located though.

As for areas like Chinatown. Chinese are in the minority there. You will find way more blacks, hispanics, whites, Vietnamese, Indians etc there than Chinese, so I don't get your point in ruling it out as if it is a one race enclave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 10:50 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,808,378 times
Los Angeles
NYC in general is jumbled
Some suburbs in NJ
Chicago (The loop)
Houston
Dallas

Old 08-08-2012, 11:09 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,141,440 times
Quote:
JAcksonville?!? Jacksonville!!??
Maybe I'm not understanding that chart or maybe the city has changed in the nearly 20 years since I lived there but the place used to be racially segregated by a river. One race on one side, one race on the other side. Aside from that, it was pretty jumbled.
There are still segregated parts of the city, but that it's less segregated than many others. 28.7% of residents live on integrated blocks. To me, that sounds pretty low, but it's better than most cities.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:43 PM

1,955 posts, read 2,730,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
The City of Manhattan?
Well I felt like NYC was too general a term.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:55 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,026,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Well I felt like NYC was too general a term.
I'm not a fan of people referring to neighborhoods as cities.

I wasn't picking on you, yours was just the first I noticed.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:25 PM

1,955 posts, read 2,730,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
I'm not a fan of people referring to neighborhoods as cities.

I wasn't picking on you, yours was just the first I noticed.
I never referred to a neighborhood as a city. I referred to a specific area within a whole city. And when talking about New York City, you have to be more specific when talking about where to move.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:41 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,347,718 times
Quote:
Thanks for playing but San Francisco would actually be a great example of the opposite of what I am looking for.
Like Manhattan, San Francisco has many different neighborhoods... A neighborhood for each and every person. There's no question that as a whole, the city is very diverse however people are not jumbled up, they are in their respective neighborhoods. For example, The Castro, Chinatown, Mission district.

Play again?
The Richmond District, Pacific Heights, the Tenderloin (though it's a dump), Excelsior, Bernal Heights, Lower Haight, Western Addition, etc etc etc are all very, very diverse neighborhoods.

In my apartment in the Inner Richmond, you had latinos, white hipsters, an Indian family, a black couple, and a Chinese family, and a couple interracial couples. Within a couple blocks of the place in either direction, you had Mexican, Indian, Korean, Brazilian, American, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Italian restaurants. Two blocks. And that's not even a well-known, premiere area of the city!

Now, if you're looking for a city that doesn't have ANY ethnic/religious/social enclaves... well, good luck: it doesn't exist. Some places are just more integrated than others.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:33 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,026,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I never referred to a neighborhood as a city. I referred to a specific area within a whole city. And when talking about New York City, you have to be more specific when talking about where to move.
Semantics.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:38 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,513,325 times
Houston is actually quite segregated from what I remember
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or